Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre is coming to an area near you....not.

Options
  • 07-06-2016 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

My current contract for bundled landline/broadband with Eir expired in April. Every year for the last three years,
    I was promised that eFibre would be available in my area. A number of planning applications were posted at the top of my estate for a new cabinet, but to date nothing further.

I contacted Eir once again to enquire as to what the current situation was with eFibre. Needless to say I was once again referred to the eFibre map and very little other information was forthcoming.

From there I was transferred to the Customer Loyalty team. Twice I had to request that the rep call me back as it sounded he was calling from a crowded pub. Finally when I could hear him it transpired that nothing has changed other than the usual "loyalty" offer at a slightly higher price than last year.

When I mentioned to him that the 10mbs broadband speed looked pedestrian compared to the 340mbs on offer from Virgin Media, he suggested that I contact Technical re 4G mobile broadband. The mobile signal is quite patchy in my area so that wasn't an option.

After 22 years and three company manifestations I informed him that I was finally taking my business elsewhere. With that he piped in that he was an expert "switcher" and could organise my switch seamlessly.

That was the final nail in my Eir contract's coffin. As a former employee of Telecom Eireann I am shocked at the level Eir has fallen to. Why oh why don't Eir invest in customer retention staff and forget about all these cheap rebranding and sales campaigns.

I for one am voting with my pocket so after a long standing arrangement I am packing up my tent and heading to Virgin Media and I won't be back as I'm not a switcher. If you get my business and treat me fairly you keep it. Simple.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

My current contract for bundled landline/broadband with Eir expired in April. Every year for the last three years,
    I was promised that eFibre would be available in my area. A number of planning applications were posted at the top of my estate for a new cabinet, but to date nothing further.

I contacted Eir once again to enquire as to what the current situation was with eFibre. Needless to say I was once again referred to the eFibre map and very little other information was forthcoming.

From there I was transferred to the Customer Loyalty team. Twice I had to request that the rep call me back as it sounded he was calling from a crowded pub. Finally when I could hear him it transpired that nothing has changed other than the usual "loyalty" offer at a slightly higher price than last year.

When I mentioned to him that the 10mbs broadband speed looked pedestrian compared to the 340mbs on offer from Virgin Media, he suggested that I contact Technical re 4G mobile broadband. The mobile signal is quite patchy in my area so that wasn't an option.

After 22 years and three company manifestations I informed him that I was finally taking my business elsewhere. With that he piped in that he was an expert "switcher" and could organise my switch seamlessly.

That was the final nail in my Eir contract's coffin. As a former employee of Telecom Eireann I am shocked at the level Eir has fallen to. Why oh why don't Eir invest in customer retention staff and forget about all these cheap rebranding and sales campaigns.

I for one am voting with my pocket so after a long standing arrangement I am packing up my tent and heading to Virgin Media and I won't be back as I'm not a switcher. If you get my business and treat me fairly you keep it. Simple.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]retepnosnikta,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I can understand how frustrating the wait for efibre is however eir cannot guarantee an efibre activation date and all dates we release are estimated. You can view this information on-line here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We would be unable to guarantee a date as the time taken to upgrade the line to efibre will vary depending on the level of work involved and whether consents from road and planning authorities and private landowners are necessary. I understand this must be quite frustrating however I'm afraid for these reasons there can be delays in launching of cabinets.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you are experiencing issues with the broadband service in the meantime we can indeed troubleshoot these issues or offer you the option of mobile broadband as you were offered.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm very sorry you feel this way and we do appreciate your feedback regarding your eir experience. I will be passing this onto the relevant department, thanks for getting in touch.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]retepnosnikta,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I can understand how frustrating the wait for efibre is however eir cannot guarantee an efibre activation date and all dates we release are estimated. You can view this information on-line here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We would be unable to guarantee a date as the time taken to upgrade the line to efibre will vary depending on the level of work involved and whether consents from road and planning authorities and private landowners are necessary. I understand this must be quite frustrating however I'm afraid for these reasons there can be delays in launching of cabinets.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you are experiencing issues with the broadband service in the meantime we can indeed troubleshoot these issues or offer you the option of mobile broadband as you were offered.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm very sorry you feel this way and we do appreciate your feedback regarding your eir experience. I will be passing this onto the relevant department, thanks for getting in touch.[/font]

Pamela, with all due respect, my concerns have been well voiced to Eir over the last three years and the responses are quite similar to the ones you document here.

We the customer, have been given no further information on how and when eFibre will be arriving in our homes other than it's on it's way. In the meantime the competition are offering a genuinely available high speed broadband product that's increasing in speed year on year.

The transmission technology on offer from Eir, twisted pair copper cabling is so antiquated as to nearly render it useless in this day and age yet you charge me a similar price to Virgin Media whose speeds are nearly 300% faster. My question to Eir now is, do you honestly expect me to pay what you demand.

Irish citizens are patient and forgiving at the best of times but we are not idiots. Please don't mention landlines and the wonderful tariffs available as the competition throw that all in as an afterthought.

What amazes me is that ComReg are supposed to be regulating the market yet it has been mentioned to me that you are bound by their pricing structure. I agree with that in principal, but you are not offering me a like for like product.

Broadband is purely a generic term at this stage and at 10mbs it's only a fool who would pay for this when 360mbs at the same price is available in my home just waiting to be switched over.

I leave you to ponder thie above and I will admit that you are a brave woman for attempting to defend what Eir have to offer as a credible product. The people will speak and the results will be very visible back at head office in due course but I'm sure you are quietly aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Enjoy the endless issues with billing problems that fail to honour deals agreed and poor customer service from manilla with virgin media!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Pamela, with all due respect, my concerns have been well voiced to Eir over the last three years and the responses are quite similar to the ones you document here.

We the customer, have been given no further information on how and when eFibre will be arriving in our homes other than it's on it's way. In the meantime the competition are offering a genuinely available high speed broadband product that's increasing in speed year on year.

The  transmission technology on offer from Eir, twisted pair copper cabling is so antiquated as to nearly render it useless in this day and age yet you charge me a similar price to Virgin Media whose speeds are nearly 300% faster. My question to Eir now is, do you honestly expect me to pay what you demand.

Irish citizens are patient and forgiving at the best of times but we are not idiots. Please don't mention landlines and the wonderful tariffs available as the competition throw that all in as an afterthought.

What amazes me is that ComReg are supposed to be regulating the market yet it has been mentioned to me that you are bound by their pricing structure. I agree with that in principal, but you are not offering me a like for like product.

Broadband is purely a generic term at this stage and at 10mbs it's only a fool who would pay for this when 360mbs at the same price is available in my home just waiting to be switched over.

I leave you to ponder thie above and I will admit that you are a brave woman for attempting to defend what Eir have to offer as a credible product. The people will speak and the results will be very visible back at head office in due course but I'm sure you are quietly aware of this.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I’m sorry you feel this way [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]retepnosnikta[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] however this information is available on our website and all planned efibre works are updated regularly here [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ you can also check availability using your address or phone number here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I’m afraid I can only comment on eir’s products, services and infrastructure.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We are currently deploying two types of broadband technology, [/font]Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) delivering speeds up to 100Mb/s and Fibre to the Home (FTTH) delivering speeds up to 1Gb/s.[font=Verdana, sans-serif] At the minute 1.4 million homes and businesses can avail of the efibre service, 30 thousand of these are FTTH. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]FTTH is the new service we launched in 2015. It is a solution for rural Ireland Fibre to the Home (FTTH). When this rollout is complete in 2020 1.9 million homes and businesses will have access to the Fibre network.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I can understand your frustrations regarding eir not been able to offer you high speed broadband and I apologise for these delays. Unfortunately there is a lot of work required to launch this service and it is an on-going process. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Again we do appreciate your feedback and I have passed this onto the relevant department. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela  [/font]

Advertisement