Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Mature Students

Options
  • 07-06-2016 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all, Just checking if there is anyone else here going to UCC as a mature student this September. Got accepted last month and just thought Id see if there anybody else headed that way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Congrats!

Not really active with this myself but new people will be joining this group over the summer.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/uccmaturestudentsociety/

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

leesadin wrote: »
    Hi all, Just checking if there is anyone else here going to UCC as a mature student this September. Got accepted last month and just thought Id see if there anybody else headed that way!

Hi lee,

When you start go and visit the mature students common room. Lots of people your age and older and younger too probably in there. All pretty friendly and they serve very cheap tea and coffee, have food re-heating facilities and can offer advice etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The mature student common room was definitely one of the nicest and relaxed spots on campus, but my understanding was facilities closed it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yep, I've been accepted too OP. Really excited about it and from what I can tell, the UCC facilities look amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Manach wrote: »
    The mature student common room was definitely one of the nicest and relaxed spots on campus, but my understanding was facilities closed it down?

The building is being demolished and the common room is being moved to a different building for September. The location is sorted just not public knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

Yep, I've been accepted too OP. Really excited about it and from what I can tell, the UCC facilities look amazing.

What course you doing Jimmy? I'm very excited! Bit nervous about moving so far and not knowing anybody.

richy wrote: »
    Hi lee,

When you start go and visit the mature students common room. Lots of people your age and older and younger too probably in there. All pretty friendly and they serve very cheap tea and coffee, have food re-heating facilities and can offer advice etc.

Thanks so much for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

I've been unofficially accepted. This'll be my second time there as a mature student, so if anyone has any questions that might put your minds at ease I'll probably know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

What course you doing Jimmy? I'm very excited! Bit nervous about moving so far and not knowing anybody.

I'm doing the Masters in Applied Psychology :) Have lived in Dublin for 12 years so moving to Cork is gonna be some change!

Looking forward to it though, the facilities looks amazing and there's already a few societies that have caught my eye. They'll be handy for a social outlet too.

I'm doing the Masters in Applied Psychology :) Have lived in Dublin for 12 years so moving to Cork is gonna be some change!

Looking forward to it though, the facilities looks amazing and there's already a few societies that have caught my eye. They'll be handy for a social outlet too.

Very good.. I'm doing pharmacy.. I'm coming from a small town in Monaghan.. So it will be a shock to my system too..

Yea I think the societies will probably be a good lifeline! The college looks fantastic. I've only been in cork once, for my interview. But it seems lovely, and everyone there seemed so friendly.. Like being at home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I just accepted Arts in UCC so will be starting in September as a first year aged 45. It's been 25 years since my last college course so I'm excited but kinda dreading it also. I'm from Cork and still live in the area, I'd be delighted to hear from others particularly those doing First Arts.

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    I just accepted Arts in UCC so will be starting in September as a first year aged 45. It's been 25 years since my last college course so I'm excited but kinda dreading it also. I'm from Cork and still live in the area, I'd be delighted to hear from others particularly those doing First Arts.

Im almost 30 and never bothered with college when I was younger. From Monaghan so Im moving quite a bit away from home. Im doing Pharmacy.

Im almost 30 and never bothered with college when I was younger. From Monaghan so Im moving quite a bit away from home. Im doing Pharmacy.

Good for you...I'm sure you'll settle in no problem...I'm excited but dreading it at the same time. I know they're will be plenty of other mature students but at 45 anybody under 35 seems like a kid to me.

I'm the very same, excited but very anxious. While I was down for my interview all the other pharmacy applicants who were there at the same time as me were still very young! Hoping there's someone else a bit older on the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JoanD

Hi All. I accepted Nursing this morning. Bit nervous now as I need to find accomodation. Preferably without 18/19 year olds. Not to be mean, but don't want to be babysitting.

JoanD wrote: »
    Hi All. I accepted Nursing this morning. Bit nervous now as I need to find accomodation. Preferably without 18/19 year olds. Not to be mean, but don't want to be babysitting.[/QUOTE
    I'm from cork so I'll commute every day, are you familiar with the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JoanD

Hi All. I accepted Nursing this morning. Bit nervous now as I need to find accomodation. Preferably without 18/19 year olds. Not to be mean, but don't want to be babysitting.[/QUOTE
    I'm from cork so I'll commute every day, are you familiar with the city?

Yes kinda familiar. Was doing a 1 year course in ucc last year so got to know it quite a bit. ☺

Yes kinda familiar. Was doing a 1 year course in ucc last year so got to know it quite a bit. ☺

Ah you're grand so, if you have a car there are park n ride facilities at pouladuff and black ash which I intend on using. It may enable you to widen your accommodation search.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Sniggles

Hi, anyone hoping to get an offer for Grad med looking for accommodation? Looking for a mature house share that is reasonably priced!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

Got the email about registration and the transition day for Ucc, is the transition to university day vital?
    After doing a course this year I feel like I'm ready to go.
    Does anyone know what the transition day deals with specifically?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure where I read it but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they are mandatory. Although I stand to be corrected.

I'm not sure where I read it but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they are mandatory. Although I stand to be corrected.

It's been 25 yrs since I was in a classroom of any description so I'll definitely be going. I need all the help I can get as the nerves are starting to kick in. I'm doing Arts and finding it really difficult to pick four subjects. I thought about deferring but I feel it's now or never.

I'm the very same.. Almost 30 so I'm out of school 11 years.. I'm doing pharmacy but really hoping there's some mature students my age on the course,.. My nerves have been so bad the past number of weeks!

I'm the very same.. Almost 30 so I'm out of school 11 years.. I'm doing pharmacy but really hoping there's some mature students my age on the course,.. My nerves have been so bad the past number of weeks!

I suppose it's natural we're gonna be a bit anxious I think all first years will be. Maybe when we get to Orientation and see all the other matures, our fears will ease a bit. Im doing Arts so there will be other matures but with the class sizes so big and the fact I'm 45, I'm worried it will be hard to make friends.

I suppose it's natural we're gonna be a bit anxious I think all first years will be. Maybe when we get to Orientation and see all the other matures, our fears will ease a bit. Im doing Arts so there will be other matures but with the class sizes so big and the fact I'm 45, I'm worried it will be hard to make friends.

I'm the same.. I think there's a mature student society or something.. I was thinking of joining that and hopefully meeting a few people.. Pharmacy class sizes won't be as big as arts unfortunately.. So I've fingers crossed there's a few people near my age in the course..

I'm the same.. I think there's a mature student society or something.. I was thinking of joining that and hopefully meeting a few people.. Pharmacy class sizes won't be as big as arts unfortunately.. So I've fingers crossed there's a few people near my age in the course..

Yeah there is a mature student society and also from what I hear a mature student common room. I think in a smaller class you'll have a better chance to make friends. Plus you're only 30 that's still young, well to me it is anyway!

Yeah there is a mature student society and also from what I hear a mature student common room. I think in a smaller class you'll have a better chance to make friends. Plus you're only 30 that's still young, well to me it is anyway!

We are all young to some and old to others! 😂😂 I was speaking to someone recently who went to college at 71.. 😄😄

We are all young to some and old to others! 😂😂 I was speaking to someone recently who went to college at 71.. 😄😄

PMd u there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Hi Folks,

Second year mature here(BCL). If you've any questions, ask away.

• Advertisement

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Second year mature here(BCL). If you've any questions, ask away.

Do you have any idea how early I would have to be to get a space in Pouladuff Park n Ride?

Advertisement