Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Mature Students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Do you have any idea how early I would have to be to get a space in Pouladuff Park n Ride?

I haven't parked there but from what I hear if you were in for a 9am class-before 8am.

Would you take a look at your timetable first? I'd say this because you might find you are only in maybe 1 or 2 classes a day of 1-2 hours and can park locally then. Another idea is park in Bishopstown and you'd have the 208 and 205 buses pass the college. The 208 is the busiest bus in Cork and runs every 10 mins. No parking disc required in some parts of Bishopstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

CZ 453 wrote: »
    I haven't parked there but from what I hear if you were in for a 9am class-before 8am.

Would you take a look at your timetable first? I'd say this because you might find you are only in maybe 1 or 2 classes a day of 1-2 hours and can park locally then. Another idea is park in Bishopstown and you'd have the 208 and 205 buses pass the college. The 208 is the busiest bus in Cork and runs every 10 mins. No parking disc required in some parts of Bishopstown.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be going through the tunnel from the east so I'll probably use the Black Ash park n ride on the days I don't have 9am lectures. I know it doesn't operate on Fridays so I'll just have to get in early.

just wondering did anybody have difficulty registering or changing modules in first arts during online registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

Where is the mature student transition to university life talk tomorrow? Should I bring my confirmation of registration or is that just ok Friday?

helpful wrote: »
    Where is the mature student transition to university life talk tomorrow? Should I bring my confirmation of registration or is that just ok Friday?

It's on in the Boole lecture theatres..registration between 8.45am and 9.20am, starting at 9.30am. I don't think you need to bring your online registration til Friday. Btw what course are u doing?

• Advertisement

I'll be there nice and early to find the Boole. It's very exciting really!!
    I'm doing early childhood studies!! I've heard big class groups so I hope I make friends ha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

UCC mature students I found to be an excellent group of people. My own experience though is that both facilities (in terms of a common room) and the student union (in terms of their own, political priorites) pay little enough attention to mature types. So hopefully those attitudes will change given the growth of life long learning.

Did transition to university day at UCC today. Long day didn't finish til 4.30pm.
    Very informative but information overload, hard to take it all in.
    Some excellent presentations but I'm finding the whole experience quite daunting.

The transition day had a lot of information but I found it overly directed at arts students and no details for other courses such as early childhhod studies or social studies etc.
    I thought the speakers were great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

My transition day is Thursday... Looking forward to it.. Goof to know how long it goes on for.. Taking a friend down with me for the two days.. And don't like leaving her alone the whole time.. Think I struck gold with my two days being together with the long drive I have.. ��

• Advertisement

I'm feeling a bit more confident and a little less apprehensive after doing the two days of orientation. I think the Mature Students Office and the volunteers deserve a huge pat on the back. Barbecue wasn't bad either!

Yea it was brilliant! Definitely boosted the confidence.. Plus I met quite a few great people already.. I didn't stay for the food.. I had a long drive home!

leesadin wrote: »
    Yea it was brilliant! Definitely boosted the confidence.. Plus I met quite a few great people already.. I didn't stay for the food.. I had a long drive home![/

Yeah..Cavan is a long drive...I'm sure you'll settle in Cork no problems.

Anyone starting Law?

So hows everyone getting on?

Getting on great so far... How about you?

Not too bad...im finding it kinda tough...im doing Arts and its hard to get to know people as class sizes are so big, plus the commute in and home has me exhausted, I really envy those who stay near campus. Its a lot tougher than I thought.

I'm quite lucky that my class size is quite small... In saying that I still don't know many of them.. Thankfully the mature students in my class are great.. 😄😄 but I'd imagine the commuting is crazy... I'm so glad I'm close to the college... Someone in my class is commuting from fermoy every day.. I don't know how she does it...

well two of my classes are quite small, in one I'm the only guy. Me, thirteen girls just out of leaving cert and a REALLY mature lady. In fairness theyre all really nice tho. Id really like to be in a small class with the same people all the time. I know from speaking to other matures in Arts that theyre feeling a bit lost too. I'm glad things are going well for you.

There's about 70 in my year and we have all the same classes together.. Only thing we are separated for are labs and tutorials... I've heard that too about arts... Well done to you for doing it.. I don't think I could.. How are you getting on with the parking every day?? Park and rides working ok?

• Advertisement

Not too bad...im finding it kinda tough...im doing Arts and its hard to get to know people as class sizes are so big, plus the commute in and home has me exhausted, I really envy those who stay near campus. Its a lot tougher than I thought.

If you're on facebook there are a number of pages that can be a help for getting to know people in your year/course.

How are you getting on with the parking?

There's about 70 in my year and we have all the same classes together.. Only thing we are separated for are labs and tutorials... I've heard that too about arts... Well done to you for doing it.. I don't think I could.. How are you getting on with the parking every day?? Park and rides working ok?

It's ok...I have 9 o clock lectures every morning so I use the pouladuff park n ride. I need to be gone from home at 7.30 a.m. to guarantee a space as the car park is small and fills up really quickly. I'm usually on the first bus so I get in about 8.15 and I use the 45 mins to catch up on homework.

If you're on facebook there are a number of pages that can be a help for getting to know people in your year/course.

How are you getting on with the parking?

Thanks for that .. I know a few other matures that are in my smaller classes such as German and Italian. Id love to be able to join the German and Italian societies but commuting makes it really difficult. The young people in those classes are all really nice too, and we all know each other's names which is good.

If you are ever running late there is normally parking on the lee road until about half 8.. I used it until I got my permit sorted.. ��

If you are ever running late there is normally parking on the lee road until about half 8.. I used it until I got my permit sorted.. ��

Thanks..I'm up at 6.30am every morning to get a space in Pouladuff..as I have 9am starts every morning. I'm knackered from it, I dunno how long I can keep going. I nearly dropped out the other day, but I'm just about hanging in.

Oh that would be very tough... It might be worth looking at the lee road then... It would be awful to have to drop out after getting into the course...

Oh that would be very tough... It might be worth looking at the lee road then... It would be awful to have to drop out after getting into the course...

I know..I really don't wanna drop out but I'm exhausted after 4 weeks..I'm beginning to fall behind already

I know..I really don't wanna drop out but I'm exhausted after 4 weeks..I'm beginning to fall behind already

Have you looked into getting panapto for your lectures?

What sort of hours are you doing? There's no way you could move in closer? Even part of the week?

• Advertisement

Have you looked into getting panapto for your lectures?

I have no idea what that is..but they take attendance at 3 of my lectures and expect a minimum of 80% attendance

Advertisement