Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to improve my work life balance but don't want to annoy employer

Options
  • 07-06-2016 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

If you were a hiring manager how would you feel about this. An employee who had a permanent job in department A and a temporary job in department B.

The employee leaves the permanent job in Department A to go to a new permanent job in another company but keeps the temporary job in Department B in the old company.
    If you were a manager in Department B for the temporary job how would you feel about a future application from that employee given that they left their permanent job in Department A.

(The job in the new company is more relevant to the work done in Department B in the old company).

Essentially I dislike the job description of the permanent job in Department A and the hours, I work through the weekend and with the temporary job combined I have one weekday off during the week so my social life sucks but I also like the city and the organisation, don't want to piss them off if there are any better future roles. The job in the new company would be an hour each way commute but I like the job description and it is during the week.

The only other option is to hang in there and hope that there is another opportunity within the organisation but people who have jobs in Department B tend to stick and my managers in Department A don't like people changing hours (they make you reapply even though it's the same job and grade).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I'm a bit confused OP, do you mean working essentially with two different companies at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think you could run into trouble as lots of employers have a policy where they don't want employees working for other companies.

I'd say stick it out and make sure your manager and the manager in the other department both know your up for the next opportunity that gets you working weekdays rather than weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

_Brian wrote: »
    I think you could run into trouble as lots of employers have a policy where they don't want employees working for other companies.

I strongly agree with that. If the two different companies are even remotely in the same field then there is very little chance of any employer tolerating this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

"If you were a manager in Department B for the temporary job how would you feel about a future application from that employee given that they left their permanent job in Department A."

To answer your above question. If the Department B manager is happy to keep you on even though you've moved to another company for your main role, then I don't see how they would hold moving from Department A to another job against you if a better role came up in Dept A in future.

However, all bets are off if this is a family owned/run business. They can take things like this very personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

skallywag wrote: »
    I strongly agree with that. If the two different companies are even remotely in the same field then there is very little chance of any employer tolerating this.

Yes - the OP should check their contract of employment (with both companies).

They might not specifically ban having another job, but especially the full time contract is very likely to specify that any other employment held at the same time needs to be disclosed to direct management and/or HR and they reserve the right not to allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

skallywag wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused OP, do you mean working essentially with two different companies at the same time?

Yes, I have two roles at the moment in one company, I would like to quit the permanent role and replace it with a permanent role in a new company. I like my company I just don't like my permanent role, I'm trapped in it, if my current temporary role was permanent I would have quit the permanent role already and found something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

_Brian wrote: »

I'd say stick it out and make sure your manager and the manager in the other department both know your up for the next opportunity that gets you working weekdays rather than weekends.

I have let them know that I don't like the hours, I have spoken to another staff member who is well liked who tried twice to change his hours when vacancies arose but was not allowed. He told me that those hours are hard to staff and that not many people want to work them so as soon as they have you doing them they keep you there. His supervisor supported him changing his hours but he was overridden by management. Even when I started doing the other role there was very little flexibility on their part.

I would inform them but the two companies do not compete and I would be taking no state secrets with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I have let them know that I don't like the hours, I have spoken to another staff member who is well liked who tried twice to change his hours when vacancies arose but was not allowed. He told me that those hours are hard to staff and that not many people want to work them so as soon as they have you doing them they keep you there. His supervisor supported him changing his hours but he was overridden by management. Even when I started doing the other role there was very little flexibility on their part.

I would inform them but the two companies do not compete and I would be taking no state secrets with me.

I had to leave a job before because they wouldn't allow transfers to another part oft he company. There were a number of jobs that I was interested in and qualified for but they had a no transfer policy from one arm of the company to the other..

You may just have to look around for a job that offers the conditions you find acceptable.

Advertisement