Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using frozen pepper for salads

Options
  • 07-06-2016 7:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Can I use frozen peppers for sandwiches or salads?
    Or is it just No, use canned or fresh peppers for the taste etc
    I'm attracted by the price.

Do I just thaw them and use them when soft or is there some other method?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Whatever about the texture being a big weird, I'd definitely be put off by this part. :pac:

''Other Information
    Warnings: Warning: Do not eat raw''

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The price really isn't *that* great. The warning would suggest possibly unsanitary icing facilities or unwashed product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

L1011 wrote: »
    The price really isn't *that* great. The warning would suggest possibly unsanitary icing facilities or unwashed product.
    3 pack fresh peppers (500g) is usually €1.39, same quantity frozen without stalk, pips is €1.00. ~39% saving!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd worry about the fact that they can't be eaten raw and I wouldn't risk it for the sake of saving 39c. If you're worried about wastage, slice fresh peppers and freeze them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'd worry about the fact that they can't be eaten raw and I wouldn't risk it for the sake of saving 39c. If you're worried about wastage, slice fresh peppers and freeze them yourself.

Nearly all prepped frozen raw veg like that has to be cooked and not eaten raw, look at where the salmonella outbreak came from a few years back from beansprouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    3 pack fresh peppers (500g) is usually €1.39, same quantity frozen without stalk, pips is €1.00. ~39% saving!
    yep, it is quite a saving as there is no waste on them.

I have gotten the tesco ones and let them defrost before cooking, they can be quite watery and soggy when wet so I would not like to eat them even if it said it was OK.

They are very handy if you want a mixture of peppers, and only want a few in a dish.
    If you're worried about wastage, slice fresh peppers and freeze them yourself.
    These would probably come out quite mushy, frozen mushrooms would be worse. They usually flash freeze stuff like this to prevent it being too bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sounds like a case of fresh is best, OP.

I want cheaper peppers, dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rather than get frozen thawed peppers which are kind of mushy before you do anything, try the jars of peppers in Lidl, they arent too bad and last a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Apart from what has already been said about the safety concerns, I use peppers in my salad for the crunch and you definitely wouldn't get that from the frozen ones.

TBH I have used the frozen ones in stir fries etc and even then, I prefer the texture of the fresh ones.

• Advertisement

I want cheaper peppers, dammit!

I was in Tesco Monday and they had a 2 pack of peppers (red&yellow) on offer for 49c :) don't know how long the offer is on for but thought it was good value

I was in Tesco Monday and they had a 2 pack of peppers (red&yellow) on offer for 49c :) don't know how long the offer is on for but thought it was good value
    T'was observed. Packaging says 275g, but weighing them gives 400g - unless Tesco scales are faulty. Valid until 21/06.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

T'was observed. Packaging says 275g, but weighing them gives 400g - unless Tesco scales are faulty. Valid until 21/06.

some things can be well over weight. I got tesco brand chicken breasts with the bone & skin still intact and they were well over the stated weight. I sometimes browse to find the heavy ones, just looking at them for size.

Often the 5 packs of donuts have 6 too, not that they cost much but the free one tastes the best ;):pac:

Advertisement