Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill off old grass before turning soil?

Options
  • 07-06-2016 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently moved into a new house with what was advertised as a "landscaped" garden. It's a patchy rocky mess though and I would like to start over and lay turf.
    Is it OK to just dig, fork and turn the existing grass or should it be killed off first??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what do you mean by rocky mess?
    Whats the end goal?
    Lot of potentially un-necessary work in what you outline

any pictures?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

There are alot of large visible stones and the grass is very sparse in about 70% of the area, plus its not level.

I'll get a pic later.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

kill it off with Roundup, give it 10+ days and rotavate or plough if possible. rotavating will bring up all the stones though. if its very uneven you might need a digger to level it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sort out the stones OP. If you don't you'll regret it every time you want to plant something in future years.
    We have similar, it seems the original builder used infill instead of topsoil for our garden.

Advertisement