Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for diagram

Options
  • 07-06-2016 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I came across an old fuse board and all the emergency feed for the lights are going into the one 10amp breaker. There are 2 contactors and a C.T.U in the panel but there empty. Do you wire the CTU into the Contactor? If anybody could help it would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The central test unit controls the normally closed contractor(s). The CTU provides a supply to terminal A1 of the each of the contractors so that when the CTU is set to test the integrity of the emergency lights for a set time (30, 60, 90 minutes or whatever time) the NC contractors energize. Once energized they open which disconnects the permanent supply from the various emergency lights. The result is the lights are fed from their battery supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cwmoore83

When installing a ctu, do I install a 10amp mcb to power the ctu ,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cwmoore83 wrote: »
    When installing a ctu, do I install a 10amp mcb to power the ctu ,

You could, but it would be a bit OTT.
    Even a 6A would be plenty.
    It will draw <1A.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

cwmoore83 wrote:
    I came across an old fuse board and all the emergency feed for the lights are going into the one 10amp breaker. There are 2 contactors and a C.T.U in the panel but there empty. Do you wire the CTU into the Contactor? If anybody could help it would be great.

The emergency feed for each lighting circuit should be fed from the same mcb as the ordinary lighting feed(through the n/c contactor (s). This is to ensure that the emergency light activates if the mcb trips.

Alot of people assume that emergency lighting is only for power outages but this is not b the case. They must activate if the local mcb trips

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The emergency feed for each lighting circuit should be fed from the same mcb as the ordinary lighting feed(through the n/c contactor (s). This is to ensure that the emergency light activates if the mcb trips.

Good point. that's in the regulations too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement