Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unexplained wet patch on dogs thigh

• 07-06-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

My terrier was asleep on the couch. When I was leaving the room to go Out she got up. I noticed her hind leg was dripping wet and drops and wet patch on the couch (thankfully leather couch). It doesn't smell like urine or as if her glands emptied. The wet patch is just on her thigh and nowhere near her bum.
    I can't figure out what it could be. She's a week into her New medication for skin allergy. Wondering could this be to blame.
    Very strange as I've never come across this before

Comments

My terrier was asleep on the couch. When I was leaving the room to go Out she got up. I noticed her hind leg was dripping wet and drops and wet patch on the couch (thankfully leather couch). It doesn't smell like urine or as if her glands emptied. The wet patch is just on her thigh and nowhere near her bum.
    I can't figure out what it could be. She's a week into her New medication for skin allergy. Wondering could this be to blame.
    Very strange as I've never come across this before

Is it a steroid she's on for her skin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sounds like a hot spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Was thinking the same as boomerang. Is the area red/sore looking at all?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

What's a hot spot?
    She's on an antibiotic and medication similar to atopica-can't think of the name if it and dont have it to hand at the minute.

Just googled hot spot....there's no mark in her thigh. It was literally like she fell into water there was that much on her fur. Only for she was in front of me I know she didnt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Does it smell of anything?
    Was she in your view at all times up until you saw the wetness?

Edited to add... Sorry, I see you addressed the smell question. You're certain it's not pee?

• Advertisement

Yeah pretty certain it's not pee as there was no wetness/dampness anywhere else.
    Very strange. She was fast asleep and noticed it when she got up from the couch.
    She's in great form so I'm sure its nothing to worry about.....
    The antibiotics she's on are Clindacyl, she's been on them before.
    The meds for her skin allergy is called Apoquel 3.6mg, she's on one twice daily for 2 weeks and then one a day from here on in....

Apoquel is the new skin wonderdrug :)
    I haven't heard of side effects that describe what you describe, but it's so new that it might just not have been officially recorded yet.
    I asked had you had your eye on her right up to the wet patch, because I had exactly the same thing happen to my little spaniel x, twice, whilst I was out. A wet patch on her outer thigh, no sign of anything to cause it... But it did smell of wee.
    We got out answer a couple of months later... She had developed epilepsy and eventually had a seizure in front of me... She involuntarily pees herself mid-seizure but the pee dribbles from her lady parts without wetting her fur en route to her underside... It gathers between her thigh and her bedding. If I hadn't seen it so many times now, I wouldn't believe a dog could pee herself without an obvious trail back to the source :o

However, I also wonder... Have you noticed that the Apoquel makes her sleep very deeply? My little lady is on anti-seizure meds that cause her to sleep the sleep of the dead... And her brain doesn't always wake her up to tell her that her bladder's full :o Again, it wouldn't be unusual to find that her thigh is wet because she had peed in her sleep... This might be a more likely possibility, especially if you're certain she didn't have a seizure prior to the wet spot appearing.

Th

Thanks for all the responses. I'm 99% sure she didn't have a seizure as she was asleep beside me.
    Maybe she was in a deep sleep and had an accident.
    I'm just conscious with this new drug she's on, she has a weak enough system so maybe I'm to paranoid and watching every move.
    I'll keep an eye on her anyways and she's due back to vets next week so will let them know and see have they come across it before

Of all the drugs used to treat skin, Apoquel seems to be relatively benign in terms of lasting side-effects, other than some initial vomiting and/or diarrhoea. However, it is still very new so other things might crop up from time to time.
    The drug my dog is on not only makes her sleep very deeply, it also makes her drink more, so although "peeing in her sleep" isn't listed as a possible side-effect, those two together, for her, combine to cause the problem.
    So, there could be something like that going on.
    That said, I knew a lady who had a dog on no meds at all, the dog happened to be a very deep sleeper, and occasionally peed in her sleep... Even if she happened to be lying on her owner at the time :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lucy pee'd her pants in her sleep when she was a young puppy 3 times.. There was never smell off it at all... Twice it was on the floor and once she was curled into me asleep...I had also fallen asleep and then woke up to a warm wet feeling :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

is it possible she was drooling while asleep with her head tucked over that area it just might be this simple

jimf wrote: »
    is it possible she was drooling while asleep with her head tucked over that area it just might be this simple

Ah now jimf, just because you drool in your sleep doesn't mean the op's dog does :D

jimf wrote:

jimf wrote:

Definitely not. Would have been some amount of drool !
    She must have piddled in her sleep. It's the only thing I can think off. Main thing is, she's in great form and eating and drinking like a horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

DBB wrote: »
    Ah now jimf, just because you drool in your sleep doesn't mean the op's dog does :D

ah feck it dbb u know me too well :o:o

its an age thing in my case ;)

jimf wrote: »
    ah feck it dbb u know me too well :o:o

its an age thing in my case ;)

I wouldn't know anything about that:o. Will have to take your word for it :D

Advertisement