Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuses switch off

Options
  • 07-06-2016 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Can anyone help with this ? The main fuse switch keeps switching off in our flat.

It started with the kettle so I plugged that out.

If I switch off manually all fuses including lights and oven but leave only fridge it switches off. Main switch stays on until I plug in frigde, then it switches off. All off for entire flat but if I switch on the fuse for living room it is fine until I switch on the PC, then the main switch goes again.

All off and freezer only via extension cable to bedroom. Good until the freezer is plugged in.

It only stays on if I have low power devices online like internet modem or extension leads with leds.

As soon anything big is plugged in the main switch goes. I unplugged each plug in the house and switch on only one room. But as soon anything big is plugged in the main switch goes. If anything big is plugged in I can't even switch the main switch on, just with everything plugged out. And then only until something is plugged in.

Oven and all lights alone are fine so whatever is wrong must be related to the sockets.

Comments

Moved to Electrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It's likely that the main RCD in the consumer unit is faulty, but this needs to be checked out by an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Make sure your immersion is turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Pete67 wrote: »
    It's likely that the main RCD in the consumer unit is faulty, but this needs to be checked out by an electrician.
    It is seldom that an RCD is faulty in such a way that it operates when it shouldn't, as opposed to not operating when it should. It is far more likely to be an appliance or the wiring which is faulty.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It is seldom that an RCD is faulty in such a way that it operates when it shouldn't, as opposed to not operating when it should. It is far more likely to be an appliance or the wiring which is faulty.

+1

I had a few ABB RCDs fail on me.
    They all failed in the on position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Could be a damp problem combined with perished insulation.

I love it (not really) when a safety device is doing it's job then people think 'it must be faulty' rather than 'there must be a problem'..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Steve wrote: »
    I love it (not really) when a safety device is doing it's job then people think 'it must be faulty' rather than 'there must be a problem'..

The Three Mile Island accident is a great example of this.
    In particular, a hidden indicator light led to an operator manually overriding the automatic emergency cooling system of the reactor because the operator mistakenly believed that there was too much coolant water present in the reactor and causing the steam pressure release.

Steve wrote: »
    Could be a damp problem combined with perished insulation.

Reminds me of a story I heard from a car mechanic friend; A car owner saw that the oil light was flashing and then stayed on, so he blanked out the light as it was annoying him with black tape!

A month or so later the engine seized!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The OP will need to get a REC in to find the source of the issue. Lets wait and see what is found. Bearing in mind that the OP has stated that the RCD trips whenever any load more than a few watts is applied, but does not trip under a no load situation, and has found that this is repeatable with a variety of loads (kettle, freezer, PC on different circuits, then a faulty RCD is at least plausible.

The OP will need to get a REC in to find the source of the issue. Lets wait and see what is found. Bearing in mind that the OP has stated that the RCD trips whenever any load more than a few watts is applied, but does not trip under a no load situation, and has found that this is repeatable with a variety of loads (kettle, freezer, PC on different circuits, then a faulty RCD is at least plausible.

Nobody is suggesting that it is not possible that the RCD is faulty. However experience suggests that this is unlikely. The discription in the OP is consistent with an issue with the integrity of the insulation between N & E. I would expect type of fault particularly if due to the ingress of moisture to only occur when larger loads are connected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

. Bearing in mind that the OP has stated that the RCD trips whenever any load more than a few watts is applied, but does not trip under a no load situation, and has found that this is repeatable with a variety of loads (kettle, freezer, PC on different circuits, then a faulty RCD is at least plausible.
    That suggests a neutral to earth short or near short is far more likely than a faulty RCD. The load does not have to be applied to the actual problem circuit to cause a trip.

Advertisement