Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel not round

Options
  • 07-06-2016 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Just noticed this evening when dining my rear wheel there's a wobble in it like it's out of balance. Didn't see any noticeable distortion in the rim, could it be the tire or even the wheel reflector causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Are you saying that it has a hop (or a flat spot) without any sideways motion?

It could easily be a damaged/distorted tyre. The best thing to do is to remove the tyre & tube and spin the wheel (mounted - use the brakes as a guide) to see if the rim is out of shape. If it's fine then the tyre may well be the culprit.

I remember refitting a tyre earlier this year after replacing a tube while out on a spin on a cold day. I wasn't in the best of moods that day (thanks to a saddle sore) and I horsed the tyre back onto the rim with a massive degree of ignorance and plenty of profanities. Immediately I could feel a hop from the wheel. When I got home (and calmed down) I removed and refitted the tyre and all was well again.

If the rim is out of shape then maybe consult your LBS unless you're good at truing wheels................but then why would you start this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I can't feel it cycling, just when spinning the wheel with it lifted of the ground the bike a subtle up down movement. I can't remember if the wheel got a tube or not. I didn't notice any deformity in the rim (no brakes to check better)

Is the whole bike moving or is it just the wheel?

If it's the whole bike and it's moving gently then it's nothing to worry about - the force of you spinning the wheel/cranks is enough to set up that kind of movement. Minor imbalances caused by tyre valves/reflectors could also cause this but it's insignificant.

If it's just the wheel that oscillating with respect to the frame then maybe you have a truing issue. The fact that you can't feel it when cycling has me thinking it's the former.

Probably the former, it's quite gentle. Nothing to worry about then!

Is it possible this will be resolved once I fit new tires?

jozi wrote: »
    Is it possible this will be resolved once I fit new tires?

Maybe, maybe not. Either way I wouldn't worry about it and I wouldn't be changing tyres in an attempt to cure it. If the tyres are fine then leave them be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Check the tyre height from the side. The tyre/tube may not be seated correctly usually around the valve. Deflate it completely and then re-inflate it. If it continues to be raised around the valve area, attach a cable tie around the wheel/tyre on each side of the valve and inflate again slowly. The cable ties may help to seat the tyre as it inflates.

Another possible reason for this problem is using a tube which is too big - e.g. a 28mm tube in a 23/25 tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a 1mm hop on my front wheel. I had my LBS try and make it round/true again but they said it wasnt possible after trying. It's completely unnoticeable while on the bike and so doesn't effect steering or comfort...its just there. The wheels are 2011 Zondas with approx 8k kms on the and many years left yet. They're perfectly straight otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...The wheels are 2011 Zondas with approx 8k kms on the and many years left yet. They're perfectly straight otherwise
    Unfortunately the brake surface will wear out long before all other parts rendering the wheels useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

jozi wrote: »
    Just noticed this evening when dining my rear wheel there's a wobble in it like it's out of balance.

Too much fine wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Unfortunately the brake surface will wear out long before all other parts rendering the wheels useless.

The brake surface is remarkably good, no dishing or deep scoring. I'll get another few years out of them before they've had it.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    Too much fine wine?
    A good craft beer :D
    Check the tyre height from the side. The tyre/tube may not be seated correctly usually around the valve. Deflate it completely and then re-inflate it. If it continues to be raised around the valve area, attach a cable tie around the wheel/tyre on each side of the valve and inflate again slowly. The cable ties may help to seat the tyre as it inflates.

Another possible reason for this problem is using a tube which is too big - e.g. a 28mm tube in a 23/25 tyre.
    I'll have a closer look at the tire and see how it's seated for any deformities. Regarding the tube, i don't remember if I had a puncture and it was repaired or replaced, if not it's still the original tube.

I probably won't change tires over this but I've found them shockingly bad in the wet and have been considering getting better tires to reduce brown pants moments

Advertisement