Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Term Rent Question

• 07-06-2016 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭

I live in Dublin on a 9-month fix-term rental contract. I would like to stay 3 or 4 months longer while searching for something to buy. How would you suggest this to the landlord? Suggesting a new contract or running the contract further. Does the landlord have a right to rise the rent (as it is a new contract)? Are there government regulations for this case? Please let me know what you think. I would like to be informed before I make any move. What I do not want is that I need to move because of 3 or 4 months, play deposit etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You need to read the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (as amended).
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/27/enacted/en/html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

ampleforth wrote: »
    I live in Dublin on a 9-month fix-term rental contract. I would like to stay 3 or 4 months longer while searching for something to buy. How would you suggest this to the landlord? Suggesting a new contract or running the contract further. Does the landlord have a right to rise the rent (as it is a new contract)? Are there government regulations for this case? Please let me know what you think. I would like to be informed before I make any move. What I do not want is that I need to move because of 3 or 4 months, play deposit etc.

You could suggest extending, or simply staying on Longer. Beware greater than 12 months you will need to give/receive 42 days notice unless you agree a new fixed term.

You have part iv rights and security of tenure after 6 months. You will need to talk to landlord at least 1 month before end of the fixed term. You have the right to stay on under part IV.

Your rent can not be increased within 24 months of initial contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Just be honest with the Landlord, and ask him him can you stay for another 3/ months.

As previously stated you have some rights as you have been in the house for 6 months. Even with a expiring lease, I think you are still required to give 1 months notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

As you've been in the house over 6 months you're entitled to claim "Part 4 Tenancy" rights which mean you have the right to stay there for a further 3.5yrs if you wish - subject to a rent review after 24 months. You also are not obliged to sign another fixed term lease.
    HOWEVER - should the LL make a declaration that he's selling the place or a family member is moving in them they're entitled to give you the appropriate notice period.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Our lease is up on the 19th of this month. We are in the house a year on the 19th of this month the LL rang me to sign another lease I'm away for a few days so I can't sign it. But I don't want to sign as we are in the process of buying a new house. How do I approach this as we want to stay for another month or two buy I don't want to sign a lease obviously. Do I just say it to him ? What if doesn't want to do this. Can he ask us to leave ? Do we have 28 days ? Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Exact same applies. Read post #5.
    You are not obliged to sign another fixed term lease as you qualify for Part 4 tenancy.

Advertisement