Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring a Tandem

Options
  • 07-06-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

I'm debating restoring a 1980's raleigh tandem and have a few questions:

1) I'd like to do a basic but quality respray so was thinking of sending it to the UK to the likes of argos or bob jackson. I've heard of madclown or chris custom over here too, opinions?

2) groupsets seem to be a sticky point, currently it has an 8spd rear with a gear lever attached to the stem! I was thinking of upgrading to mtb type thumbshift but there are 2 rear brakes on the tandem, is there any tandem specific groupsets available and if so where?

3) Are there any tandem gurus in dublin to help with sticky points during the renovation?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

I am a long time tandem user. Not familiar with a "raleigh" one.
    There are no group sets for tandems. Mountain bike components are your only real choice.
    Declan in the bike shop in Skerries is well familiar with tandems and their components.
    Tandems are hard on parts and need critical maintenance. Brakes you cannot have enough off. Came down Ventoux at eye watering speed last time I used it and I was wishing for twin discs front and back :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

1) I'd like to do a basic but quality respray so was thinking of sending it to the UK to the likes of argos or bob jackson. I've heard of madclown or chris custom over here too, opinions?

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Cost of getting a regular bike frame (nevermind a tandem) to and from the UK is pretty high and the two UK places you have mentioned are renowned (sp) for their paintjobs, but at a fair old price and it s usually something pimpy added on after a frame is repaired/modified.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]For a as you have mentioned for a quality, simple paint job there are places in Ireland (Powdercoating is also another, tougher option) that I d look into first.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Edit to say: formatting gone awry there.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

its basically a pashley tandem (via google search) but it says raleigh on the stickers (were they linked in the past??). Anyways does anyone have any idea what a modern day equivalent of this bottom bracket is, as in could i fit a GXP type crankset set up as a replacement, i can't find info anywhere online. The markings on the BB say PTN5 in the middle and had a cotter/pin type crankset attached. It measures approx 142mm end to end.

Advertisement