Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will VPN work?

Options
  • 07-06-2016 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has successfully got VPN to work for them in a similar situation?

I want to remotely access my home (to monitor CCTV, home automation, etc.) For the foreseeable future it looks like VF 4G is my only alternative for decent bandwidth. The VPN sessions will be relatively short in duration.

Unfortunately, VF don't offer publicly accessible IPs (not necessarily static).

I've read I can set up a VPN, but can't determine how this will work if my IP is not accessible remotely. I know I have to buy a 4G router, so was going to get one with VPN built in, but do I also need to pay for a VPN service? The clients will mainly be a couple of smart phones, and a tablet/ipad.

I do work in IT by the way - and use a VPN connection most days, but never actually set one up!

Anyone running VPN tunnels over VF 4G? Working ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A. Some networks allow you to pay for/ask for a free upgrade to a public IP. If they'll do this it'd be simplest

B. Break out of NAT by using a VPS. 4G router connects to VPS' VPN server, your remote computer connects to VPS VPN server, talk as peers from there. That's going to cost you €5-10 per month

Advertisement