Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clavaseptin/leptospirosis?

• 07-06-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi, I'm hoping someone will have some experience with this.
    I rehomed a dog from an animal sanctuary a few years ago...within a week of bringing him home the animal sanctuary called to say that the dogs he shared a cage with had been diagnosed with suspected parvo...when my dog started being ill, I brought him straight to vet. Vet disagreed with the parvo diagnosis and said he had an infected stomach/inflamed bowel. He started him on antibiotics. My dog recovered well. Over the past few years, my dog has had incidents where his tummy goes rock hard and he is obviously in pain. Vet says his temp does be up too and gives him an antibiotic. Within a couple of days my little guy does be back to his normal cheeky self.
    Two weeks ago, his tummy went hard and he was obviously in pain...off to the vets we went. Again he got given antibiotics...except this time he vomited a few hours after each dose, completely off his food. Then I discovered that the vet had prescribed him 250mg of clavaseptin twice a day instead of the 50mg he should have been prescribed. Vet said not a dangerous medicine and not to worry about the overdosing...would do no harm. Gave him an injection of fluids and said he'd be fine. Except my dog still hasn't recovered, not eating...drinking but not enough, lethargic. Vet now says my dog has leptospirosis and is jaundiced. Gave him an antibiotic this evening and another injection of fluids. Within one hour of leaving the vets, my dog had a seizure and has developed difficulty with walking and standing. Vet says to leave him until tomorrow when he will get more fluids and antibiotics injected.
    Does anyone have any experience of this? Is there anything I can do to make my dog more comfortable? I'm really worried he's not going to make it.
    Sorry for the long post but I would appreciate some opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I would go to a different vet, it sounds as though you have lost confidence in your vet, so no harm in getting a second opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

muddypaws wrote: »
    I would go to a different vet, it sounds as though you have lost confidence in your vet, so no harm in getting a second opinion

+1 If my dog needed fluids the vet would admit them... well actually no she'd probably give me the fluids to do them at home since we live 2 mins away and have a bit of experience with recovery after operations lol :o but my friend's dog was kept in for days at Christmas time when he was sick!

OP did the Clavaseptin come in a branded paper envelope? The reason I ask is that when my boy was on it the vet gave it in a branded envelope with a different dosage on it to what he actually got and the vet was worried thinking she'd prescribed the wrong dose ..but it was fine. I always give milk thistle after antibiotics to cleanse their liver as well as probiotics to get the balance right in their tummies again. Kefir is great and cheap - you'll find it in the chilled section in any supermarket that has polish food.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dizzy bee

The clavaseptin was given in a the branded envelope with 250mg on it....I only realised it was the wrong dose when I found the envelope from the last time he was on antibiotics. Vet agreed that 50mg is the correct dose...but says 250mg twice a day over 5 days won't have done any harm. I'm strongly considering seeking a second opinion.

Dizzy bee wrote: »
    The clavaseptin was given in a the branded envelope with 250mg on it....I only realised it was the wrong dose when I found the envelope from the last time he was on antibiotics. Vet agreed that 50mg is the correct dose...but says 250mg twice a day over 5 days won't have done any harm. I'm strongly considering seeking a second opinion.

Were they definitely the wrong pills is what I'm getting at - you'd see the difference. I think ours was the other way around like the 250mg pill in the 50mg envelope and the label was wrong too but the pills we had were way bigger than the 50mg - she even brought the smaller ones out to show me to make sure ours were bigger. He had an infection that wasn't clearing up and she was stressing out thinking it was because the pills weren't strong enough! (He ended up on a different antibiotic after swabs were sent off and eventually had the infection cut out when it came back twice!)

Nope definitely the wrong pills...a much bigger tablet. And the foil States 250mg

• Advertisement

Nope definitely the wrong pills...a much bigger tablet. And the foil States 250mg

:( I'd go to a different vet if it was me. And tell them it's suspected lepto when you call them as it's highly contagious(!)

Well, thanks for all your advice....unfortunately my little guy had a seizure while at the vets today and died :( devastated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Well, thanks for all your advice....unfortunately my little guy had a seizure while at the vets today and died :( devastated

oh you poor thing. Thats horrendous. :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I am so, so sorry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jeez op... That's dreadful :( What a horrendous shock.
    I know this might seem unpalatable, but I'd be tempted to get a post mortem done (did I dream it, or does UCD do them by referral free of charge?) I'll be honest, there's something not really adding up with what happened your poor dog. Very upsetting :(

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your kind words. I couldn't bear getting a post mortem done. The vet did offer to do one free of charge but I just couldn't. Vet also doesn't think it was lepto now....thinks probably an underlying health issue from when he was a puppy (he was in such a bad way when we got him that we were convinced he had been rescued from a puppy farm or a horrendous home). After doing some research myself, I think he may have had an underlying liver/kidney issue and the overdose of antibiotics just pushed it over the edge and the fluids the vet gave him were just too much for his little body to handle.

:( Terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

So very sorry. So sad x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh god, so sorry for your loss. That's very sad :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

So sorry for your loss. Thats absolutely dreadful for you.
    I feel what you're going through right now. My cat went in for a dental last week and things got complicated. He had to be put to sleep on tuesday. Without going into detail I'm pretty sure it was a bad reaction to a certain mediaction.
    The shock and upset is terrible.

Maggipip, I'm sorry about your cat....its heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet. They're part of the family and have such definite little personalities. I'm trying to be positive and think that at least I was able to give him a loving and caring home for 3 years, he'd have died within weeks if left in the sanctuary. He brought so much love and happiness to us and he will always be remembered and loved. So no matter how devastated I feel now, I'll always be grateful to my little warrior and never regret a single minute that I got to share with him.
    Thank you all for your replies...it's so kind of you all to take the time to send a message.

Advertisement