Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house that needs work - where do I start?

Options
  • 07-06-2016 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Looking for some guidance please.
    We have seen a house that we are interested in buying however, it is in need of some work. We think what's required is to knock the old existing extension and redo it in addition to upgrading electrics, heating, Windows and insulation. As we have no idea about costs etc we are looking for someone to guide us and provide estimate costs so that we can then assess if we can afford what is required.
    Where would you advise us to begin - is it an architect we need to bring to the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Arc solutions

heywhynot wrote: »
    Looking for some guidance please.
    We have seen a house that we are interested in buying however, it is in need of some work. We think what's required is to knock the old existing extension and redo it in addition to upgrading electrics, heating, Windows and insulation. As we have no idea about costs etc we are looking for someone to guide us and provide estimate costs so that we can then assess if we can afford what is required.
    Where would you advise us to begin - is it an architect we need to bring to the house?

You best bet is to engage with a local registered architect. Most architects will not charge for initial consultation and he or she will give you a rough idea of what's involved. Generally there is much price difference between new build and renovation work, depending on condition of existing structure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Have your budget worked out ... because what ever your budget is , the work will go over it.. have an idea of what you can live with and what has to be -has to be - done now. Eg can you live with a basic kitchen or does it have to be the dream kitchen...its the finishes that'll cost most

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Engage with a builder who will give you prices for rewiring, plumbing, building works, windows, plastering etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14 heywhynot

Thanks for the replies, we have a rough idea of what we would ideally want and also of what we can afford - just hope that the two can match up.
    Would an architect be able to give a guide re price and also would a builder need commitment from us that we would then go with them if we were to buy it?
    Should we get an architect first?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If you post sufficient outline detail of the house and the work you envisage, then you can get a pretty good estimate here of what it will cost.
    For what you are at you really don't need an architect now, he will be asking for the same details anyway and IMO, given you haven't got the house is a waste of money.
    So what is it:
    e.g.: 3 bed semi-d built in 1969, cavity block, single glazed wooden framed windows, with crap 40 sq. felted flat roof extension, warm air heating, etc etc.

Do you have 100k for remedial works.

As noted earlier, decide what you have to spend and then priorities are set.

Air tightness, controlled ventilation and insulation should come before "new windows"

You need to look at the life time cost benefit of the remediation works so fancy new 3G aluclad self cleaning windows, without a proper A/T etc strategy is in most cases a foolish investment.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

In the process of doing something similar, at the build works stage now. My experience is that both my architect and engineer were utterly clueless about costs when it came down to it. They were way way off what the builders ended up quoting, smallest quote came in at double the architect and engineers estimate, highest quote came in at roughly 3 times the price. It was a steep learning curve to say the least.

Get a few builders quotes for the work, but given you're only looking at buying the house things can get delayed and prices can increase.

Best of luck with it! It is worth it in the end, I hope :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

In the process of doing something similar, at the build works stage now. My experience is that both my architect and engineer were utterly clueless about costs when it came down to it. They were way way off what the builders ended up quoting, smallest quote came in at double the architect and engineers estimate, highest quote came in at roughly 3 times the price. It was a steep learning curve to say the least.

Get a few builders quotes for the work, but given you're only looking at buying the house things can get delayed and prices can increase.

Best of luck with it! It is worth it in the end, I hope :D
    Can I just point out to the op the contradiction here

A builder/s pricibg without a set of drawings and spec by an arch/eng, can pluck a figure out the air - and comeback asking for more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

BryanF wrote: »
    Can I just point out to the op the contradiction here

A builder/s pricibg without a set of drawings and spec by an arch/eng, can pluck a figure out the air - and comeback asking for more money.

I didn't say drawings weren't needed. Of course they are. My point was that in my experience do not listen to the architect or engineer when they give a quote for the works.

I didn't say drawings weren't needed. Of course they are. My point was that in my experience do not listen to the architect or engineer when they give a quote for the works.

Since when does an arch /eng 'quote' (I think you mean guesstimate) the cost of the works. It's not their job, that's what a Qs does.

no builder can give you any better 'quote' with out first the input of an arch/eng to list/ provide drawing for the renovation/work that needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 heywhynot

Thanks for all the advice and tips. From what I can gather we need to get an architect in to assess our needs and what can be done and then get a quote from a few builders and then hope that we actually can afford the job and end up not being out bid on the house.
    Stress and it hasn't even started!

• Advertisement

heywhynot wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice and tips. From what I can gather we need to get an architect in to assess our needs and what can be done and then get a quote from a few builders and then hope that we actually can afford the job and end up not being out bid on the house.
    Stress and it hasn't even started!

At this stage a Qs may be more relevant

Advertisement