Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2.5L petrol 230bhp AWD back to reality..

• 07-06-2016 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My 2006 Subaru Forster 2.5XT 230bhp petrol and tax guzzler has to go. It was fun while it lasted, the perfect sleeper which wiped many a smile of faces over the years.

I'm looking for something with similar boot space as I have a large dog but also a bit of poke. Trade in value is hard to grasp but probably around €3.5-4K maybe? I'm hoping to have about €11k cash so budget would be €14.5-15k.

Any suggestions on type of car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I think you may be a little ambitious with that trade in estimate... unless you are buying a pulsar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I think you may be a little ambitious with that trade in estimate... unless you are buying a pulsar.

Sh!t really, what would you think is a more realistic price trade in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The cost to change is the important figure. A dealer could give you a trade-in price of 10k for your Forester but the car you are buying off him could be overpriced by 8k so in reality he is only giving you 2k. (Simple figures used).

Realistically a 10 year old high tax, petrol guzzler Forester that has very little appeal because of the same reasons you are parting with it, is worth nothing to a dealer. It's not a car they would sell on easily these days even through the trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Might be better selling private and then your be in position to haggle for cash discount on newer car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

visual wrote: »
    Might be better selling private and then your be in position to haggle for cash discount on newer car.

This would be my view. You'll always get a better deal on your side if you sell privately and take the cash to bulk up your buying power. Dealer is never going to give you the market rate on the car, how could they, they need to sell the thing on and recoup any outlay. The only advantage of a trade in, that I can see, is you do away with the hassle of selling it yourself but take a massive discount in the process.

I think you would be optimistic to get a trade in on such a beast. Its worth far more to a petrol head than a dealer. They'll take it, but it will likely end up in the lower end dealerships. Few people go to a garage for a 2.5L+ petrol these days, if it was 1.4 Diesel with €10 tax, they'd probably bite your hand off for it.

• Advertisement

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Sh!t really, what would you think is a more realistic price trade in?

I know sweet FA about trade ins or buying new cars. I'd be guessing half your estimate.

But it all depends on the replacement car. A new car on pcp or some other offer might give a salesman a lot of room to offer a good price for the fozz.

I could see less than 2k being offered against a used 1.6/2.0 German diesel.

The 2.0xtis far easier to sell in Ireland and even then...

All of this is the random internet opinion of someone not working in motor trade!

Thanks for advice, I just didn't want the hassle of selling privately especially as it being a unique car it might take some time to shift but I'd get it done if it meant an era grand or 2 in the back pocket.

Any suggestions of a replacement as per OP?

Estate or SUV? 4wd needed?

The Forester is a funny one, some people think it's a "jeep" but in reality it's a boxy impreza on stilts - the boot isn't much bigger than a focus estate or volvo v50 of similar age I'd guess. You should be able to match or exceed boot size easy enough.

Audi estates always look good. My (barstool) opinion on the allroad versions is that they could cost you the trade in price of the fozz on maintenance easily enough.

Estate or SUV? 4wd needed?

The Forester is a funny one, some people think it's a "jeep" but in reality it's a boxy impreza on stilts - the boot isn't much bigger than a focus estate or volvo v50 of similar age I'd guess. You should be able to match or exceed boot size easy enough.

Audi estates always look good. My (barstool) opinion on the allroad versions is that they could cost you the trade in price of the fozz on maintenance easily enough.

No 4wd not necessary, estates are an option but most look so boring apart from the Audi and BMW estates. Maybe I'm looking for too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Earlier on this year we were looking at trading in our 06 Outback, 2.5l petrol against a new Kia Sportage, value around €30k.

We were offered a max of €4,250, as far as I recall, from one dealer, and this was not scrappage offer. The average trade in value offered was probably closer to €1.5-2k. One dealer wouldn't take it at all!

We ended up keeping it as a second car and buying a Fiat 500 as a run around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Traded my '06 Forester 2.5 in 2013, got 3k for it but only cause the dealer had someone he knew looking for one, or so he said.

Any updates? Be interested to see what possible replacements you came up with?
    Or indeed, how much is a 25mpg high tax petrol worth these days?

Any updates? Be interested to see what possible replacements you came up with?
    Or indeed, how much is a 25mpg high tax petrol worth these days?

Edit: just realised it was you who helped out with info earlier in this post

Not yet I haven't brought it to a dealers yet to get it valued. I've looked at a few options but will depend on finances at the time and how much the Forester brings in.

Hoping for something to happen this week so will post back with update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if you like the car, why not keep it. Total ownership cost by changing to a car the value you suggest, is likely to be higher... IT sounds like you only want to change on cost grounds, not pleasure. what is the point then if depreciation is higher than motor tax and fuel saving on a newer car?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if you like the car, why not keep it. Total ownership cost by changing to a car the value you suggest, is likely to be higher... IT sounds like you only want to change on cost grounds, not pleasure. what is the point then if depreciation is higher than motor tax and fuel saving on a newer car?

It's starting to cause endless problems. Want shot of it as what replaces it may end up being the only family car so needs to be reliable.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    It's starting to cause endless problems. Want shot of it as what replaces it may end up being the only family car so needs to be reliable.

Ugh. Secondary air pumps? Diff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I traded in my 2006 2.0x Forester last August against a new Superb and got 3k for it. Strangely a Subaru dealer down the country wouldn't touch it as a trade-in against a Legacy estate. They stated all their customers want diesels nowadays.

I traded in my 2006 2.0x Forester last August against a new Superb and got 3k for it. Strangely a Subaru dealer down the country wouldn't touch it as a trade-in against a Legacy estate. They stated all their customers want diesels nowadays.

Good luck to them. Anyone buying a Subaru diesel will get what they deserve sooner rather than later by all accounts.

California loves petrol subarus - many versions qualify as ultra low emissions vehicles. Here... not so much :mad:

Advertisement