Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs miscalculations

Options
  • 07-06-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I'm self employed and ordered threee of packages from China which arrived over a year ago. I paid vat at time of delivery but got a letter off dhl recently on behalf of revenues customs to pay the difference which amounts to over 1000 euro as they were miscalculated at the time. Is this normal as it comes as a bit of suprise to be asked for vat so long after receiving shipment? Im only a small sole trader with small turnover so I won't be able to pay this in one lump sum so suddenly. I also paid an initial admin fee to Dhl on the original shipments and now they are looking for another admin fee on top of the new calculators even though they were the ones who made the initial mistake in the first calculation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Revenue have 6 years to charge any error.

But you need o find where the error was - did you submit the full invoice and correct product details or did they make an error?

Chinese companies are famous for attaching a false low price invoice to shipments and mostly revenue will want to see real invoice and proof of payment.

At the end of the day VAT is 23% of value of goods + shipping cost, so charges substantially below this should have been noticed.

Advertisement