Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep on rururunning!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

Eventually getting to it!

A great day at Fingal! I really really enjoyed the race - I thought the parking situation was fab - with lots of bathroom availability etc - it made the whole start of the day a lot easier than other events i've attended.
    I made a faux pas which I know will be frowned upon and it was really not intentional - I didnt realise I had entered the wrong pin - until literally one minute before the start when i overheard a couple talking and debating if they should be in the less than 50min group! I nearly died!! so as my goal was just sub 60 (with a secret goal of sub 58mins) i was mortified to be in the way but had no time to move - so off i set and just tried to keep out of as many peoples way as possible!

Uphill to the roundabout - but barely noticed - just spent the first km self doubting the pace and trying to establish how my body would respond - I had a goal of 5.45 per km.
    km 1 - 5.45 - was happy with that
    km 2 - 5.32 - was surprised as i felt really comfortable at this pace and as I had read singers report I knew I needed to make the most of the downhill.
    km 3 - 5.32 - just kept with the pace that felt good yet sustainable.
    km 4 5.36 - happy days - I was delira at this stage! getting giddy! had my own water so didnt bother stop at the station - was glad of that!
    km 5 - 5.50 - feel this was due to the slight hills etc - but was happy enough
    km 6 - 5.45 - i was slightly disappointed as even though this was on target I felt I had more in me!
    km 7 - 5.37 - again - delighted
    km 8 - 5.39 - struggled at the end of this one
    km 9 - 6.08 - was not in a good place - had a little stop on the left had turn to catch my breath and cop myself on!
    km 10 - 5.42 - happy with that - esp considering i had to stop twice on that hill at the end for just a few seconds each time - and I managed a 200m sprint finish at a pace of 3.06 which was pretty enjoyable and have no idea where it came from!!!

At the end I was pretty beat but even though I had done what I had hoped to do I still felt strangely disappointed - It was just that km9 time i suppose. It felt like a struggle for that bit. up until 8 I felt so great and really really enjoyed my run!
    It was so so nice to feel the three months of training behind me - knowing I had worked hard really spurred me on! I also chewed on two dextro before the race and one at the 6km point and it really helped! Chewing a chalky tablet when short on breath though isnt ideal so maybe if i had half a gel or something it would be better - but gels seem a little extreme for a 10km distance?

Im delighted really as its been three months since the great ireland run where my time was 1.12.24 - so having a time of 57.31 is a big improvement. I had a watch time of 57.26 but I must have been off somehow. I am still 4 mins off my pre baby pb of 53.40 so this has just completely encouraged me to keep going! Only question now is what next!! I had hoped for galway in october but have to work now so will need to have a look around and see what is on in the next 8-12 weeks to keep me motivated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Fantastic run, congrats on achieving your goal :) There is 10km Run In The Dark in November, not sure how it would suit you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well done, you'll be back to your best and beyond in no time at that rate!

Thanks guys :)
    Im delighted really! So run in the dark u say... is it flat... can I go mad and aim for sub 55?! it is a good 11 weeks away..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Rururun wrote: »
    Thanks guys :)
    Im delighted really! So run in the dark u say... is it flat... can I go mad and aim for sub 55?! it is a good 11 weeks away..!

Here is the link to the Dublin event, no idea how flat the course is.

http://www.runinthedark.org/dublin

It's 16th of November so it's nearly 4 months away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Only question now is what next!! I had hoped for galway in october but have to work now so will need to have a look around and see what is on in the next 8-12 weeks to keep me motivated!
    Great Pink Run is on in the Phoenix Park at the end of August.
    Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on a great race.

Right well after a long break of a year....!! I started running again eight weeks ago. I had no childcare last year and I just couldn’t get opportunity to get out! Anyway life has changed in a positive way and I have settled into a nice routine of three runs a week - one long (so far 8km longest), one tempo and one intervals (doing 1 min hard and two mins jog x 5 with a ten min warm up and cool down)
    I’m not back to where I was but I’d love to do a sub 60 10km before he end of year - even if it’s just on my own not in a race! Then next year I’d like to do a few 10kms.
    I’m really enjoying my new running environment (we moved house) and feel 1000 times better to be back enjoying “my time”
    Whilst I said I wouldn’t get involved in times etc I have already started to think about running all day and can’t help but plan my progress over the next few weeks! I’m so happy to have a chance to revisit my love of running!!
    P.s I’m really really slow now but will try to keep a log in the hope to record my improvement to keep me motivated!

Great to see you back posting Rururun. Good luck with your running.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Great to see you back posting Rururun. Good luck with your running.

Thank you! Hopefully I do lots of it!!!

• Advertisement

LSR 10km 70 mins
    Happy enough with this as it’s 2km up on last weeks long run and my furthest since restarting. Something nice about knowing I can do 10km.
    It felt ok - tried to keep to 7mins pace per km and managed well. My legs were heavy and tired and times I think from Wednesday’s intervals but I think it’ll just take me a couple more months before these 7min runs feel “easy”
    Not sure what I could expect to do a real 10km in but I think I should get lots more km under my belt before I try!!!
    Fun to be out in the fog so a nice run to clear the head!

Sunday - 3km - 20 mins - hardly counts - was hungover as hell 😬 and my legs were still sore from Friday!!

Today (wed) 5.5km tempo type - was awful but really blame the overindulgence for the last few days - had visitors staying and we had wine every night - disaster - dry November now so onwards and upwards!! Anyway it was average pace 6.15min per km and to be honest I don’t think I could go much faster yet and don’t think I could sustain that for 10km - a disappointing run as such but I know with effort it’ll improve quick enough and I’m really enjoying how it makes me feel so it’s all good!

Really not in the mood this week but made myself go out today - couldn’t face intervals or long run so just went out for enjoyment - said I’d see how I got on - better a bad run than no run
    5.2km in 30.50mins
    Was actually quite fast for me and I was completely out of breath by end - I’ve a good bit to go to get back to a decent 5km pace but this was prob 5km race pace for me just now. Felt good tho to push myself.
    Will get the head down and get intervals and long run done this week. Have decided 10km long run like last week is too long for me at mo - so going to keep it at 8km for my long ones until I find a 10km to race in - with childcare and work and current poor fitness it’ll be spring. I’d like to be able do one under the hour - maybe even under the 58 of last year. By the end of next summer I’d love to do a 54 min- so a PB.
    There we go targets are set!

Well done on your 5 km. Having goals are great for keeping you focused, works for me anyway.

Good luck with your training.

Today was down for long slow run and whilst I had said I would do max 8k at the mo for these I mapped an interesting 10km route out last night and decided to give it a go this morn. Had set out fed up from last weeks poor performance deciding not to look at my watch at all! Plan was for approx 7min/km pace and just really easy.
    Went out - and felt fantastic - wondering if this is down to dry November!! Kept it easy and really just went at a comfortable enjoyable pace - didn’t look at watch for first 7 km and was happy out - then as I was taking a turn towards home I checked to make sure my distance agreed with last nights map and was shocked to find out I had been running at 5.58min/km! Wasn’t the plan at all but I literally had been making an effort to take it easy! At that stage I must admit I got excited about the concept of a sub 60 10km and made sure I kept the pace up for the last 3 km getting me in at 59.48.
    I am delighted even tho it wasn’t the plan - I really really enjoyed it and can’t wait to get out again! I just hope that this run has been a turning point in the training and not a fluke!
    Tempo planned for Friday anyway as won’t be able get out Saturday.

Well done on today's run and the sub 60 10km. Training is paying off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done super run.

But just a reminder not to fall into the trap of trying to beat your time on every run. You will pick up an injury that way. But you did say that the pace felt easy/comfortable so that's great. Have you any races in the pipeline?

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done super run.

But just a reminder not to fall into the trap of trying to beat your time on every run. You will pick up an injury that way. But you did say that the pace felt easy/comfortable so that's great. Have you any races in the pipeline?

I know I’m way too competitive with myself - I get completely carried away on every run which is stupid I know! I will go a more hilly route for next LSR to make myself slow down - my legs aren’t strong enough at all yet for me to be getting carried away with it!

I have no race planned yet - I would love a 10km in the next month or two but there doesn’t seem to be much on - so might be the spring before I get to see if I have improved! But maybe that’s a good thing - a reason to keep slow - I really want to be running consistently - not missing weeks etc - which is why I love updating this thread - my competitive streak makes me want to get my three entries in every week!

Had planned for tempo type yest but changed it to intervals at the gym today.
    Did 5km - ten min warm up easy
    6 x 1min at 12km/hr pace followed by 2mins at 8.5km/hr pace.
    It was hard but doable. Not sure if I’m recovering enough in between - I maybe need to either slow down both speeds or increase the recovery time to 3 mins. No idea which is better!

This next week will be tricky to fit my other two runs in as one of the kids is having a minor operation so I’ll be distracted - suppose it’s good to have the gym session done now so for the other two I can just throw the runners on when I get an opportunity!

I’m thinking of getting new runners for Christmas - is there any brand better than ASICS? I’ve had Asics for the last few pairs and do find them comfy. I don’t pronate or anything so really it’s just good shock absorption I’m after as I have a bad back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If it ain't broke regards runners wise don't change it, can be very hard to find a shoe your 100% happy with.

Regards suggestions Nike Pegasus/Vomero are good cushioned shoes. The Vomero offers a bit more cushioning than the Pegasus but both good shoes.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    If it ain't broke regards runners wise don't change it, can be very hard to find a shoe your 100% happy with.

Regards suggestions Nike Pegasus/Vomero are good cushioned shoes. The Vomero offers a bit more cushioning than the Pegasus but both good shoes.

Thanks for that - maybe my current ones are just a bit old so not providing cushion anymore - wouldn’t mind trying something else tho out of curiosity! Will try find the vomero to try on - thanks a mil for advice

I like Brooks for cushioning. At the moment i have Brooks Glycerin (7 i think?) but my previous pair were Brooks Dyads. Both neutral with plenty of cushioning. Nike Pegasus and Adidas Supernova Glide are on my list as options to try on at some stage.

I'd recommend a visit to a good running store though to be fitted.

Right - I get very confused as I have no clue what’s going on with the treadmill at my gym. For example it states miles per hour and distance as miles when it’s most definitely KM.
    Anyway I said today I would do my “tempo” run at the gym as there is local road works around me - I did 5mins warm up at 8.3km/hr (miles according to the machine!) then plan was to increase to 10km/hr which I thought would be ideal considering that’s the pace I ran my LSR the other day outside - now obvs that LSR was too fast but either way the lace had been comfortable. Today at that pace on the treadmill I was flat out and had to reduce to 9.6km/hr and did just 20mins instead of the intended 30.
    Just find it so confusing. Also my Fitbit which I have no idea of accuracy said I did a total of 5.2km whereas the treadmill said I did 4.6. Big difference.
    No idea. I know my LSR which was 10km according to the Fitbit was actually 10km as I mapped it also on map my run on the pc to check.

I just don’t know now what I’m achieving or not!

I like gym for my intervals ( I do these at 8.5km/hr easy 2mins and 12km/hr hard 1min) as my fit bit is no garmin so it’s easier to measure.

Anyway that’s my ramble over. Does anyone else find paces differ a lot on Rd versus gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Anyway that’s my ramble over. Does anyone else find paces differ a lot on Rd versus gym?

YES!! Massively so. I always found it funny that I would hear people say how much easier treadmill running was and that you can't equate the pace as you'll be quicker than running on the road, but I've always found the complete opposite. I'm way slower on the treadmill for the same effort. I put it down to the misery of running on one! :pac: That and the heat in the gym.

I'd say if you can keep the effort level so that it feels the same as it would for a similar type of run outdoors then that's fine, don't worry about the exact pace or distance so much, as treadmills aren't always perfectly calibrated anyway.

Thank you eerie that makes me feel a lot better! I’ll do what u said and try work off the effort rather than the numbers in the gym!

Today - LSR - 59.17
    This was a stupid run - why oh why do I feel the need to compete with myself on every long run! This is he very last time I’m doing that - this was the same route As last week and whilst I really relaxed into and enjoyed the first 6km I found I was really pushing myself for the last 4 and flat out for the last one just to beat myself! Totally pointless and not even great because I actually feel I would only be able knock max a minute off that in a race. I’m happy about that in a way - it would bring me back to approx my post baby PB of 57.57 but not near my pre baby PB (yes I have two pB’s in my mind haha) of 54.35 and I prob won’t ever reach that if I don’t do some slow running. I really need to be going at these with a target of 70mins not sub 60.
    Right lesson learned - next week will be better and slower!

Jesus the highs and lows of running :(

5km 31mins (intervals)

I’ve had niggly shins for the last two to three weeks - I thought I could get past it by ignoring it as was just tender after runs. Tonight I decided to get my intervals done (after an 11hr day working on my feet) anyway from start to finish it’s was v painful. Warmed up for ten - diff treadmill so focused on effort as eyrie advised - which was perfect for the cardio side of things but whatever has happened my shins were burning. As was my hip - right in the joint on the right side where the leg locks into the pelvis.
    I felt I should stop but was so needing to run tonight I kept going - I kept it gentle (6-6.5 miles/hr for easy and 8miles/hr for fast) cardio was v comfortable but nothing else was!

Very disappointed and don’t know what to do now. Typical I signed up for the Raheny five mile last night and was excited about training for my first race since starting running again.

I probably need new runners so will do that soon.

I didn’t warm up at all - after working all day and then driving for an hour.

I prob should be listening to my body and the aches over the last few weeks but how am I meant to get better without running more and pushing myself a little - it’s not like I’m off sprinting!

I see a lot of problems with my own approach already but not sure of what to do now. I had planned a tempo for wed and a long run on Friday and not sure should I run or stop for a bit. Stopping would be rubbish but maybe I should swim or something instead to try improve be cardio but rest the shins?

Running is my thing - it makes me feel great and so happy so I really don’t want to mess this up.

Sorry for the moan!

Well done super run.

Well I def fell into that trap and I can’t say I wasn’t warned!
    I’ll listen more carefully from now on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Oh no, very sorry to hear about the pains! How does everything feel today? Worth going to get it checked out maybe?

When is Raheny on?

I'd say RICE for 2-3 days and then maybe Physio if you can manage it? I've heard of shin splits being sorted with 1 appointment but if you don't get it sorted it's the type of thing that can drag on.

Mind yourself and chin up, this is just a blip xx

• Advertisement

When is Raheny on?

I'd say RICE for 2-3 days and then maybe Physio if you can manage it? I've heard of shin splits being sorted with 1 appointment but if you don't get it sorted it's the type of thing that can drag on.

Mind yourself and chin up, this is just a blip xx

It’s not til Jan 28th so lots of time
    I’ll swim tomorrow instead of run and try a few easy km on Friday and rest for weekend. I’ll stop in Friday if not better and try get to a physic next week if no better

Got new runners today - such a diff shape and feel - my old ones were completely flattened so hopefully that will help too!

Advertisement