Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep on rururunning!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Rururun wrote: »
    It’s not til Jan 28th so lots of time
    I’ll swim tomorrow instead of run and try a few easy km on Friday and rest for weekend. I’ll stop in Friday if not better and try get to a physic next week if no better

Got new runners today - such a diff shape and feel - my old ones were completely flattened so hopefully that will help too!

Sore shins are the main flag for me that I need new runners, so hopefully the new kicks will help. Definitely do consider going to a physio if things aren't improved, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

Wednesday - 800m swim - not used to swimming (able but not swim fit!!) so I did this at a relaxed pace so took me about 30mins.

Today - a very miserable very depressing 3km in 20mins.
    Went out to see how it felt and it was rubbish - the longer I ran the worse it got so I had planned a v slow 8km but turned home after 1.5km
    More painful going up hills and also pain worse once I got home.
    Think I’m gonna have to call it a day for a week or so and see if that helps.
    Don’t know any physios locally as have moved area recently but maybe that’s what I need to do next week.

I really hope this is just tired legs and that they recover quickly as I can’t bare the thought of not being able to run now - I have been really really enjoying it. My husband keeps telling me to just swim instead but that’s not for me!

The pain is finally gone. Gonna give to another two or three days and then try a gentle run to know for sure whether the injury is gone

After a long December I’m finally back running - been doing 5km twice a week just for last two weeks and walking as cross training. I’m working on the core as well a bit. The shin splints are still there but finally back to a point where I can run so I’m very nervous about it! I’m taking it super easy running my 5kms at an enjoyable 6.20 pace. I don’t know whether to attempt the Raheny 5mile now or not with he big gap in training - worried about my fitness but thinking I should just try it as a run rather than racing myself and go at same steady pace and enjoy the experience and hopefully not aggravate the shins!

Also joined slimming world to target the extra 2 stone I had put on over the year (don’t ask!) and 5lbs down this week so delighted I’m back on track all around!

Wed- 5km 33 mins treadmill

Sat a 5.3km 35 mins treadmill

Right leg shin sore again.... lots of foam rolling.
    Will try it again tomorrow after the few day break on another 5km easy and see. If not good after that I think I’ll move onto the cross trainer for a while and see if I’m able for that. Gutted but hoping it is just sensitive this time and doesn’t flare up fully like last month.
    I’ll know after tomorrow as it gets progressively worse if it’s going to with every run.

• Advertisement

Started with 20 mins on elliptical which actually is a great workout - had never really used before! I enjoyed it more than I thought I would - main reason - zero pain in shins. Then said sure this is great I’ll have a little run - managed 1.5km in 9mins 50 but felt sore - progressively worse.
    Am fed up now so taking on board the advice given by boards folk and have made physio appt for tue am. At least now I feel the elliptical will keep me fit and ready to run when my shins are able instead of putting myself on subs bench altogether!
    Will try to stepper and bike also.
    Have started some core exercises three times a per - three sets of plank, reverse plank and side plank. Hopefully this will all help!

Said I’d update this - I kept up gym work and after three months started with some short runs - went well - with all the mixed cardio I was doing due to inability to run from the shin splints I fell a bit in love with diversity and have been training for the last two months for Triathlone. So I’m now running 5-8 km twice a week and cycling twice and one or two swims. Loving training and think triathlon may be the sport for me rather than running alone! Will hopefully pick up a 10km race this year too tho. I’m just doing a sprint tri so not too long. 5km will still take me about 27-28 mins so I’m not fast but I am happy!

My log will now be a mix of my triathlon training and my ambitions for Galway half marathon in oct !
    Today - 22.5 km in 51 min average 25.5km speed
    Tomorrow is rest day then Friday Is open water swim
    Then sat a short run and on Sunday s Bric session

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Rururun wrote: »
    Today - 22.5 km in 51 min average 25.5km speed
    I'm assuming that's cycling! :D

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'm assuming that's cycling! :D

Haha no - I’ve improved an awful lot haven’t I :P

Yep that’s my cycling efforts :) not really v fast at any of the three sports but sure I’m enjoying giving it all a go!

• Advertisement

1km open water swim - 30mins today

A slow easy cycle yest - forgot be watch!

Brick session early this morn!

19km cycle - 50 mins - really crap cycle and legs felt heavy and not at all into it.

4km Run - 20.30 - delighted with this at 5.09 pace - think that’s faster than I ever ran when I was solely running so not sure how or why but it felt amazing! I think I could have kept the pace up which would mean I’m capable of a 25.45ish 5km and the quickest I ever did one before was 27 plus!

No idea why the cycle was so bad but literally took under a minute to transition and it was the legs were auto set at a fast (jelly like) pace so I just went with it and luckily the lungs kept up!

Loved it!

Need to get better on the bike tho - did the same time for 22km the other day so it just really wasnt happening today - I’ll take the run tho!

35 min indoor cycle -
    2 mins resistance 5 @ 85rpm
    1 min resistance 9 @ 90rpm

30.36min 5.6km run treadmill (watch recorded fastest 5km at 27.07 but not sure how accurate my garmin vivoactive 3 is on a treadmill)
    Steady and comfortable with a bit of pace for my amusement - prob counter productive but I was straight off the bike and bored!

Was meant to get to pool last night but couldn’t so today grabbed as much time as I could to fit a run in so not being completely idle!!

Didn’t know what kind of run I was meant to be doing so just hit out - first thought I’d do a LSR then it got faster without me noticing and then I noticed and decided for the craic to try faster for a km to see if I could - then a cool down km
    1km @6.00
    1 @ 5.30
    1 @ 5.39
    1 @ 5.37
    1@ 4.58
    1@5.38

Total 6km in 33.30

Must stick to the overall plan a bit more 😳

Hopefully get a swim or cycle in tomorrow

Due to a family bereavement I haven’t trained since 16th June. Will start again next week. Have missed triathlone but will restart the 8 week training program I was following now for Dublin citi tri. Will still try to increase the running mileage on long runs to allow me to complete the Galway half marathon. Hoping the 3 week break won’t have me back to starting point and hoping the strong base will have me stronger in the long run.

Mon - 500m sea swim. Short but very wavy.

Tue - 8km LSR - beach trail run @ 6.20/km

Thurs 6.5km run - tempo kinda. More run to feel really with an effort of speed - but in hot weather as away so was tough going at average 5.32 per km. Happy with that - total time 36.02

5km 27.14mins
    Fast as I could really.
    Two water stops for few seconds. Average pace 5.27/km

Hoped for a LSR today for half marathon training but with being away had kids with me and couldn’t get to it. I did however keep taking various ones on walks and over a few hours had walked 15km. So not a run but reasonably paced walks pushing a buggy - I won’t lie - there was a few icecream breaks 🀭

LSR - got up early and got his done - 11.05km in 70 mins - average pace 6.22/km
    Lovely run - extremely comfortable - could have kept going but sense prevailed!
    1 slow km at 7.24 as was on sand - rest was path or trail and grand.

• Advertisement

Didn’t get to update - will look back on the watch to pop in last weeks tomorrow but for the this week:
    Tue - 5km run 26.40 - fast for me - felt good
    Wed - open water swim - poor effort in poor conditions
    Fri - 750m pool swim x 2 (15.24 & 15.55) followed by 8 sprint lengths with 40 second break between each.
    Tomorrow am is brick session and then I really need to find time for a long run but not sure when I’ll manage that!
    I’ve my focus on the Dublin city tri right now but need to find time to increase the running somehow for the half marathon. The way my summer went my hopes for a sub 2 hour half are gone. Realistically now I’ll be lucky to hit 2 hours 10. But I’ll be happy with that - I’ll be just proud I’ve kept going through tough personal circumstances.

Yippee brick session went well! Was worried as has been so long since did one!

20km cycle - 50.01
    5km run - 26.42
    First split was tough km at 5.42 and then they got progressively better to finish on a 5.05
    Glad the legs recovered after the cycle!

If I could even replicate that on race day after the swim I’d be delira!

Early morning intervals today.
    3 mins at 5.35-5.40
    2mins at 4.50-4.55

Total 5.71km in 30 mins

Felt good - altho I don’t go by HR etc just off feel so this is prob too fast for proper intervals but at the moment I’m just going off feel and enjoyment so hopefully getting some benefit!

Plan on keeping training busy this week as the triathlon is sneaking up!
    For the half marathon training tomorrow should prob be a LSR but because of the tri it will have to be easy bike for 50mins and 20-30 mins slow run.

50 mins bike easy intervals - approx 18km
    15 min run straight off bike - tempo - average 5.32 pace.

Very tired today - busy week.

Hoping for swim tomorrow.

Fri - pool swim 750m 15min plus coaching 400m

In the morning brick with himself - first time training together - have set 20km cycle and 5km run with run as race - but of craic if nothing else!

45 min cycle at gym - cross country program but not too fast 😳
    Followed by 5km treadmill at 25.50 - my first time under 26 so delighted - average pace 5.11 but started slower and got quicker!

51 mins cycle - 20km
    Hats not very fast and I found it hard... prob the result of a hard few days on the legs - but trying to keep going this week as next week is the taper before the tri on sat.
    Disappointed my bike time has not improved much so hopefully I can knock a few mins off that on the day when I’m more fresh and there’s adrenaline pumping!

So basically I’m glad my running has come on a bit but my swim and bike still suck !!
    I am loving the diversity of it tho and will def focus on running for the winter and some gym and then triathlon and running again from spring.

Plan on the Galway half marathon and then 10km mo run in November. Will have to find something else as well as would love a 5km trial maybe a park run would do the job.

Have pulled a muscle in my neck.
    Missed a swim session cos of it. Hit out on the bike yest - 20km 54 mins - this is the slowest time I’ve wver done - I was so sore across the shoulders - had physio in the morning and maybe I just should have missed the session but sure it’s done now! Hopefully the legs benefited!
    Really felt it hard to stay in position on bike with the neck and shoulders sore which is what slowed me - I had to keep pulling upright or stopping to try ease the pain.

It does feel a little better today and not worse so hopefully I’ll get a run in today or tomorrow and not be too far off training plan!
    I reckon I’ll need to take taper week super easy to make sure I’m fit to take part!

Yesterday treadmill 5km run 27.14. Was prob fairly close to max efforts after wassy too much wine the night before- just glad I did it - bold bold behaviour!

Today 10km cycle 24.14 so again not amazing but said would keep distance low as taper week. If can do that pace on the day for the 20 I’ll be happy enough - hope the hills and wind are kind!

• Advertisement

Planned run for today and cycle for tomorrow cancelled as have a head cold and it’s gone into my chest. Been working a lot so prob just everything made me vulnerable. In any case I am adamant to get to the triathlon on sat even if it’s just for the experience and learning rather than reaching goals - so rest day today and tomorrow now instead. Didn’t know what to do as all plans say to taper but still do light bike and run to keep legs going so really hope it’s not just my chest I have to contend with on sat.
    Hoping the training pays off and I can at least compete with some resemblance of what I had planned (don’t get me wrong I’m slow anyway so it wasn’t over ambitious!!!). So for this one I’ll just have to see - learning curve anyway as my first tri so it’ll stand to me next year!
    From next week then I’m going to focus on picking up the last four week weeks of a half marathon training plan for Galway. I’m hoping the general fitness will allow me to pick up so late into a plan but it was always going to be compromised I suppose - again it’ll be fun and I love events so worth doing!

Advertisement