Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxtail recipes

Options
  • 08-06-2016 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I bought an oxtail at the wknd. Currently in the freezer. It weighs about 850grms. There's not a huge amount of meat on it which I'm assuming is normal. Nice bit of fat.
    Would any boardsies have any tried and trusted recipes I could try? I've never cooked with it before but am dying to try. I have a slow cooker of that helps.
    I know I could Google recipes but I'd rather be able to ask questions from someone who's cooked one before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

I'll have to source a couple more tails but both the above sound gorgeous. I know it's not stew weather but it's the first time I saw one in the butchers so I didn't want to leave it there.

Minder wrote: »

It doesn't say to remove the oxtail when it's done. Does that mean to serve the tail on the plate as part of the stew? Or do I just assume I strip of the meat first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

anon71 wrote: »
    It doesn't say to remove the oxtail when it's done. Does that mean to serve the tail on the plate as part of the stew? Or do I just assume I strip of the meat first?

Is your tail not chopped into pieces?

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    Is your tail not chopped into pieces?

It's chopped into 4 or 5 pieces I think. I'm just wondering from a presentation point of view and I suppose ease of eating. I love getting stuck in and using my fingers wouldn't bother me but I know some people who eat spare ribs with a knife and fork which I would find odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I've only made stews with it and left the bones in, the meat was pretty much falling off them by the time I served it though. That meant I could serve some without bone for whoever was fussy!

Have no recipe I'm afraid, I always wing my stews :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

A pressure cooker really comes into it's own when cooking Ox Tail

Kovu wrote: »
    I've only made stews with it and left the bones in, the meat was pretty much falling off them by the time I served it though. That meant I could serve some without bone for whoever was fussy!

Have no recipe I'm afraid, I always wing my stews :pac:

I would usually as well. I'm what ya might term an "instinctive" cook. 😀 Just when I've never cooked with it before I'd like some pointers.

But both the recipe links posted above sound pretty straight forward.

duploelabs wrote: »
    A pressure cooker really comes into it's own when cooking Ox Tail

I don't have one. I'll probably brown it off first and bung it in my slow cooker.

• Advertisement

Meant to post a follow up sooner. I browned off the oxtail in a pan, and used Jamie Oliver's recipe as my basis.

My husband flat out refused to eat it. I don't know what exactly happened but it just ended up a fatty oily gloopy mess. I had skimmed it a few times so I just don't know. Also I found the smell to be quite strong which also put me off.

I stripped the meat off the bones and mixed it with the dogs dry food for a few days. She was delighted.

I was so disappointed but I don't think I'll bother again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sorry to hear that. It can be quite fatty & you did the right thing by skimming it. Don't let it stop you - it really is the most amazing meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,635 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you are slow cooking, rib steak pieces will probably be a lot less hassle \ less risk of gloopiness.
    Make sure it's rib steak, a lot of steak pieces are round steak, I find rib steak more tender and flavoursome when slow cooked.
    You could use a can of oxtail soup as your cooking sauce :)

This:
    http://www.fxbuckleybutchers.ie/meat/beef/rib-steak.html

Not This:
    http://www.fxbuckleybutchers.ie/meat/beef/round-steak-pieces.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is also freaking delicious

I think if I were to attempt it again I wouldn't use the slow cooker. I think the results would have been a lot better in a conventional oven. Obviously as the slow cooker doesn't reduce down the liquid I probably should have reduced the quantities.

Maybe when the weather gets rubbish again I might give it another go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always halve the amount of liquid when I'm using the slow cooker, otherwise the dish turns out bland and watery.

Advertisement