Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average legal fees for re-mortgage conveyancing

Options
  • 08-06-2016 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Just been quoted 1100 for legal fees for switching mortgage.. That seems a tad high to me (based on nothing whatsoever other than my distaste for spending money :))

Has anyone switched or re-mortgaged recently? What sort of legal fees did you end up paying?

-Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

lawred2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just been quoted 1100 for legal fees for switching mortgage.. That seems a tad high to me (based on nothing whatsoever other than my distaste for spending money :))

Has anyone switched or re-mortgaged recently? What sort of legal fees did you end up paying?

-Dave

I'm in the process of switching, that figure is about the same as I'm paying.

AIB, Ulster Bank, KBC are all offering cash to cover legal fees whilst BOI and PTSB are offering 2% cashback on the mortgage (though this ties you to them for 5 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

loyatemu wrote: »
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Hi,

-Dave

I'm in the process of switching, that figure is about the same as I'm paying.

AIB, Ulster Bank, KBC are all offering cash to cover legal fees whilst BOI and PTSB are offering 2% cashback on the mortgage (though this ties you to them for 5 years).

aye I know they are... 1100 would be a big chunk of it.. would have preferred to have trousered a bit more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this was the breakdown for ours:

€100 law searches
    €66 to take up the title deeds
    €255 for Land Registry fees,
    €40 Commissioners fees
    €800 Solicitors fees (inc VAT and postage costs)

There are some solicitors offering cut-price conveyancing e.g. http://www.legalonline.ie/
    I can't vouch for them, I went with a local firm (actually looking at that website, their remortgage fee is only €100 less than mine once you account for VAT).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Seems like I've been quoted in the general ball park then...

fair enough - it is what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 33 VanPercy

Hi there lads,

Just bumping this thread again. Has anyone recently switched mortgage? And if so can they give a ball park figure of current legal fees?

Also was wondering, do I need to use the same solicitor that conveyed the original purchase of the house?

Cheers in advance

VanP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Lifesapitch

In the process of doing this myself. First quote was €1200 for professional fee + €450 for search fees etc. Second quote €1100 all in.

I'd be interested to hear if you've had any quotes? When i bought the house originally the solicitors fees were €1500 and I've been told there's less work involved in switching as opposed to the initial set up of a mortgage.

There's no requirement to use the original solicitor as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 VanPercy

In the process of doing this myself. First quote was €1200 for professional fee + €450 for search fees etc. Second quote €1100 all in.

I'd be interested to hear if you've had any quotes? When i bought the house originally the solicitors fees were €1500 and I've been told there's less work involved in switching as opposed to the initial set up of a mortgage.

There's no requirement to use the original solicitor as far as i know.

Ok great stuff; they sure charge like wounded bulls over here :-( any chance you could pm me the deets of the more reasonable company that quoted you?

Thanks

Advertisement