Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub recommendation

• 08-06-2016 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

Heading to Limerick for my stag party and was looking for recommendations on a couple of good pubs. There'll be about a dozen of us, early thirties to early forties.

Ideally somewhere with a Whelans/Rosin Dubh kinda vibe, i.e. not blasting out dance or hip-hop crap, or full of teenagers. I had thought Dolan's would fit the bill, but someone told me it's more of a quiet trad kinda pub? If we could eat there too it'd be a bonus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Dolan's is quiet unless there's gigs going on in the back or upstairs, or next door. I wouldn't really recommend it for a stag, to be honest.

Tom Collins is an old pub, which you might like. No music or food there though.

The obvious one is Nancy Blake's They don't do food but there's plenty of places nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

More then likely the weather will be good, I would go to the Curragower or Locke bar during the day. River view, tables outside and both serve good food. Good start for pints.

Mickey Martins would be the best alternative pub. The Blind Pig is so and so.

Costello's is limericks indie late bar/nightclub. A bit run down, mixed crowd and sticky carpets but the music is usually good in there. Very laid back spot and many fun nights had. Its the closest you'll get to Whelans and Roisin Dubh. Probably best going in as late as possible like after 1!

Dolans is a trad pub unless a gig is on out in the warehouse, then you have Mcgettigans around the corner. Tom Collins is a unique pub in the city. The Guinness is good in there I'm told! Jerry Flannerys across the road is grand.

Since its a stag you'll probably have to venture into Nancy Blakes in the old quarter, anytime after 10 when it gets busy. Loads of pubs around that area mostly cattlemart-esque. The Red Hen and The Office are okay.

If it's not yer scene ye could get a taxi to Costello's later. Make sure to go into Chicken Hut, the food is great after a feed of beer!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Cobblestone Joes, Food, live bands, free entry and over 23 only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

Costello's would be most like Roisin Dubh but it's a bit out of the way. Cobblestone Joe's is right in the heart of the city's nightlife and would be more up your alley, though the few times I've been there it was always insanely crowded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Nice one, thanks lads!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Mickey Martins would be the best alternative pub. The Blind Pig is so and so.

Mickey's is always a good shout, but the Blind Pig has been closed for 2 months or more at this stage!

Advertisement