Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a Direct Debit Issue

Options
  • 08-06-2016 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I received a text notification from BOI  that a DD was going to be requested from my account yesterday and that I may not have the funds to cover it.

This was a surprise as I had paid the bill by credit card a week earlier so rang the service provider who informed me that the submit the DD with the bill (rather annoyingly though this is not BOI's issue)

They provided me with an updated mandate number to inform my bank.

Rang BOI, was told that they were unable to do anything. were unable to stop the DD, and that I would have to incur the charge and attempt to claim it back from the service provider.

This didn’t sound right as the notification text received stated that the provider “will be presenting” a direct debit and I was requesting a stop prior to this happening (as per Art 4.3.d(iii) of Reg 260(2012) providing the right for payer to stop DDs).

Rang back again today where agent said I should have requested this via 365 and even then it would take 24hrs.
    1. I was never informed of this yesterday, was told there was “nothing I could do”
    2. [font=Calibri","sans-serif]The 24 hours is BOIs turnaround time – it is understandable that SLAs need to exist in a business but there should also be exceptions processes for situations like this where a consumer requests a stop prior to a DD being presented, as the legislation provides.[/font]
    [*]

Given this, requested that the fee and any potential impacts to my credit rating be reversed, agent spoke to supervisor and said they could not, even though my request to stop was made prior to DD being presented and fee being incurred.

I asked to make an official complaint, agent said she would take feedback.

I did everything right here and am being hit with a fee which will impact my credit rating (a big issue as I’m saving for a mortgage, which BOI should be courting).

• What is the point of such notifications if you cannot stop the DD?
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Where is the exceptions process for BOIs internal SLAs?[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Why when I offered to present a new mandate was this not facilitated?[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Please confirm this can be reversed[/font]
    [*]

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi there,

I received a text notification from BOI  that a DD was going to be requested from my account yesterday and that I may not have the funds to cover it.

This was a surprise as I had paid the bill by credit card a week earlier so rang the service provider who informed me that the submit the DD with the bill (rather annoyingly though this is not BOI's issue)

They provided me with an updated mandate number to inform my bank.

Rang BOI, was told that they were unable to do anything. were unable to stop the DD, and that I would have to incur the charge and attempt to claim it back from the service provider.

This didn’t sound right as the notification text received stated that the provider “will be presenting” a direct debit and I was requesting a stop prior to this happening (as per Art 4.3.d(iii) of Reg 260(2012) providing the right for payer to stop DDs).

Rang back again today where agent said I should have requested this via 365 and even then it would take 24hrs.
    • I was never informed of this yesterday, was told there was “nothing I could do”
    • The 24 hours is BOIs turnaround time – it is understandable that SLAs need to exist in a business but there should also be exceptions processes for situations like this where a consumer requests a stop prior to a DD being presented, as the legislation provides.

[*]

Given this, requested that the fee and any potential impacts to my credit rating be reversed, agent spoke to supervisor and said they could not, even though my request to stop was made prior to DD being presented and fee being incurred.

I asked to make an official complaint, agent said she would take feedback.

I did everything right here and am being hit with a fee which will impact my credit rating (a big issue as I’m saving for a mortgage, which BOI should be courting).

• What is the point of such notifications if you cannot stop the DD?
    • Where is the exceptions process for BOIs internal SLAs?
    • Why when I offered to present a new mandate was this not facilitated?
    • Please confirm this can be reversed

[*]

Thanks
    [*]
    Hi HamsterFace

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie

We're sorry to hear the SEPA Direct Debit could not be cancelled in time for you. One working day is required for this service. 

We do understand you were not expecting this to debit as you had paid your bill previously and regret to hear after making contact with the creditor, they would still be presenting for payment.  

Alot of different requests for Direct Debits can be completed online via BOI365 Online.

When logged in you can select 'Manage Accounts', then the 'Direct Debit Services' option. 

Within the options, you can refuse the next direct debit payment although it will need to be requested 1 working day prior to the next scheduled date.

If the direct debit goes through and you wish to reclaim the funds, you can also choose to complete the Direct Debit Refund Payment Form. 

A new mandate request would need to be posted to our SEPA Direct Debit Services Department and there was not enough time available to present this.

If you would like to further your query regarding any fees or credit rating concerns, you can raise an official complaint with us, please see information relating to this process here 

We're sorry to hear the complaint may not have been officially taken over the phone and we do apologise for this. 

Many Thanks
    Alison

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Alison,

Given that I have already paid the company, I want to request a refund of the direct debit.

By doing so can I reclaim the fee, surely you can charge the payee any admin costs?

Alison,

Given that I have already paid the company, I want to request a refund of the direct debit.

By doing so can I reclaim the fee, surely you can charge the payee any admin costs?
    Hi HamsterFace

Thanks for coming back to us.

If this direct debit has successfully left your account, you can reclaim the funds here

If you have an unpaid fee because of the direct debit, it would be best to discuss this with the creditor or follow the complaints process above. 

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Alison,

Hi HamsterFace

If this direct debit has successfully left your account, you can reclaim the funds here

If you have an unpaid fee because of the direct debit, it would be best to discuss this with the creditor or follow the complaints process above. 

Many Thanks
    Alison
    Thanks,

If I reclaim will the fee be returned?

Alison,

Hi HamsterFace

Many Thanks
    Alison
    Thanks,

If I reclaim will the fee be returned?
    Hi HamsterFace

Thanks for getting back in touch.

You can reclaim the amount of the direct debit within the link above. For any fees you wish to query, you will need to follow the Complaints Process.

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement
Advertisement