Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing a toddler to swimming pool

Options
  • 08-06-2016 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I want to bring my 18 month old to the swimming pool soon for the first time.
    can anyone recommend what i should have him in the pool nappy wise...i want to avoid all eventualities!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

jobless wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I want to bring my 18 month old to the swimming pool soon for the first time.
    can anyone recommend what i should have him in the pool nappy wise...i want to avoid all eventualities!

He can wear swimming nappies. They absorb all the liquid. Aldi, Tesco, Boots , Dunnes sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

Swim nappy (eg huggies) plus a neoprene happy nappy over that. The outer nappy is a double check against any leakage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

most swimming pools also have the swimming nappies for sale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Swimming nappies don't hold in wee, so don't put it on him until just before you go into the water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Is he a warm or cold kid? Consider a warm pool and maybe a baby wetsuit if you think it will be needed. We use the splash about warm in one with our lad for his comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Is he a warm or cold kid? Consider a warm pool and maybe a baby wetsuit if you think it will be needed. We use the splash about warm in one with our lad for his comfort

how do you mean warm or cold?...i thought we all had the same body temp :) ... ill have a look at the wetsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Definitily get a neoprene wetsuit too. Mothercare sell them also. Only some pool's are heated and suitable for young kids. Because they won't be moving about , kicking swimming etc like older children, it's very easy for them to get too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Boots had the outer swim nappies (neoprene) around this time last year, and just put them with a disposable huggies or some other brand swim nappy underneath. Mothercare also had little swim knickers for boys and girls, lined with plastic and towelling - work the same way. I feel better with the neoprene ones though, there's more material in them and they're a much snugger fit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Swimming nappies don't hold in wee, so don't put it on him until just before you go into the water.

?? I don't get that. Why are they called swim nappies if they don't fulfill the basic function of a nappy. Unless you are talking about the plastic y-front things. If so then put that on over an actual swim nappy (which has the absorbency).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

mordeith wrote: »
    ?? I don't get that. Why are they called swim nappies if they don't fulfill the basic function of a nappy. Unless you are talking about the plastic y-front things. If so then put that on over an actual swim nappy (which has the absorbency).

If they absorb liquid, they will just fill with pool water instantly, before your child even wees. You might as well just put a regular nappy on them.
    The purpose of the swim nappy is to not swell up and to contain poop.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

mordeith wrote: »

Depending on the age of the child, the weight of a soaked ordinary nappy could drag them underwater.

Swim nappies are thinner, and lighter so wee wont make a difference to the weight of the nappy but robust enough to contain poo, especially combined with a well fitting neoprene over nappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We go to the pool loads, and after many MANY f-ups on my part over the years, I think we finally have it down.

Plan your escape route.
    This is most important thing. Figure out how you are going to get wet wiggly tired toddler out of a pool and both of ye dressed without breaking your necks on a wet floor. Some places have playpens to put the children into while you dress yourself. Some places have chairs with straps on them in cubicles. Some have family cubicles, so you are all contained in a small area and you don't have to go chasing them down with one leg in your knickers while they barge in on someone else changing. Once you get in, survey your options for getting out before you even start getting changed. If there are lockers, get one near the playpen or area you plan to be using on the way out.

Pack smart, one large bag with compartments for everything and a couple of plastic bags (nappy bags are handy) for the wet gear. Multiple bags and holding toddler is too hard.

Bring drink and snack for the kid post pool. They will be tired out and thirsty from the heat, refuel for lower cranky levels. I usually dress the smallie, hand them a snack & drink while I get dressed.

Try to bring a towel to the poolside with you for the child. I know some places don't allow it, but it's so much easier to wrap them up in a towel and carry them that way.

Bring non slip footwear for you. Flipflops or something. Do not let go of your toddler poolside. They will fall over and hurt themselves, or fall in the pool and get freaked out.

Swim nappies, yup. And I wouldn't bother with anything else to be honest. No need to cover it and you've enough to be doing without adding extra layers.

Forget the shower. Do a quick rotation in there to get the chlorine off, but shampoo and conditioner and drying your own hair? Head home for that.

Here are some things to do in the pool with them too.
    http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/fall04/jenkins/twounder.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

For our slightly older kid i use pullups for after the pool - way easier that trying to change him lying down.

Also towelly bathrobes are brilliant (not the stupid nonabsorbent microfleece ones).

And easy on clothes for after as well(about the only time when i actually dont mind the blasted tracksuits)

As pwurple says, it's all about speed with a tired toddler after the pool :p

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I found the best method that worked for me was:

Have your own swimsuit on under your clothes.
    Quickly change baby when you get there.
    Bring towel poolside.
    Afterwards dry the baby, put a nappy on them and wrap them snug in a towel in the baby pen in the changing room with a snack they can occupy themselves with. If there is no baby pen, then sit them on a folded towel on the floor, so there is no danger of them falling off a bench if they are very young.
    You get dried and changed before you freeze.
    Then dress baby.

Wear stuff that's easy on and off - flip flops, trackies. I used to put the baby back into his onsie PJ's because he would be zonked after swimming and I could transfer him to his cot for the rest of his nap when I got home.

It's a bit of faff but well worth it because they love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Definitily get a neoprene wetsuit too. Mothercare sell them also. Only some pool's are heated and suitable for young kids. Because they won't be moving about , kicking swimming etc like older children, it's very easy for them to get too cold.

All pools are heated . Some looks are heated more than others .

Advertisement