Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injured hen

• 08-06-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys any advice for a hen with a leg injury? My lovely light Sussex was knocked over accidentally by our golden retriever when he was running on the gravel driveway. I witnessed it, simple accident didn't appear to be much in it. It's her right leg she won't wait bear on it, she sits down all day. She doesn't even attempt to move around on good leg. She is eating drinking and laying. She is quiet content to sit in the shade. I isolated her to give her rest and a chance to recover. I examined her leg nothing appears to be broken and she does not mind me at it. This happened two weeks ago today. I spoke to my vet and he said give her another while sounds like tendon or ligament damage... What is a reasonable amount of time? She is in her own pen away from the other 3 I have kept food and water away from her to encourage her to get up but progress is slow. Again I appreciate the advice here
    Keith

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

two weeks and she is not moving at all? how is she poo-ing?!? Is she getting dirty? I would be concerned that flies/maggots might be an issue?

If you pick her up, does she fall over immediately, or stand for a time? When you pick her up if you extend her leg, does her claw move?

Whatever hope you have, dont remove her food/water - especially water in this warm weather. Do you lift her and put her into the coop at night?

Its a good sign if shes laying still

I think you are going to have to bring her to the vet - total nuisance I know, but after two weeks I would seriously consider it - not fair to the hen to leave her if there is zero hope of recovery. You know how very fragile a hens bones are - something could very easily be broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 trauma boy

Thanks for your reply aonb. She is brought in at night and is given plenty of fresh water and food bed is cleaned also she sleeps in a crate in the garage . No real attempt to stand yet her poop is normal no sign of any maggots, flies or lice I am examining her daily she extends the leg but not the claw and doesn't weight bear at all i do agree about getting a vet to look at her was going to give her a few more days like I said he told me originally to let her rest but he has not seen her. I don't want her in pain or sick and she is eating and laying a lovely egg every two days so really my question how long is a reasonable amount of time the injury is two weeks old. Thanks again for your help I do appreciate any advice

If she is eating and drinking and laying an egg, shes obviously not in pain and things are 'working' internally :) Laying an egg is a pretty intensive procedure on a hens system, so stopping laying is a first symptom of problems.

I have had hens who suffered strokes/damaged something that have never recovered, once a hen who like yours had damaged a leg, did eventually get back on her feet, but quicker than your poor girl. The longer shes not moving about Id worry about her. If you have a vet who knows about poultry it would be worth bringing her in I guess, but up to you how long you can bear to look at her on her own and 'paralysed' - Im a wimp and hopeless in such situations

Maybe give her some probiotic yoghurt, and some tuna in water or cat food to boost her a bit? Sorry not to be more help - hens are such fragile creatures :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

I had a young rooster like that last year. I let him rest for a week in a cage on his own, fed him hard boiled egg & spinach along with his normal food to build him up a bit. After the first week, I took him out about 3 times a day and gently pulled his leg in and out, then rested him on my hand while his feet were on a table and raised him up and down, to get him using his leg muscles.
    Once he was able to use it again, I'd leave him on the floor and throw chopped up grapes a few feet away from him to make him use his leg to go get them. It took about a month to get him fit enough to go back with the hens again.
    I did take him to the vet when I was going in to get my dog her annual boosters but it was a waste of time.only good thing was that he confirmed that nothing was actually broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 trauma boy

Hi guys just an update thank ye for the advice ... She has recovered thanks fathead 82. Aonb I took your advice with the yogurt and cat food it did give her the boost... She is up walking around all be it with a limp she is in and out of the coop up the ramp no bother and has taken her place back on the perching bar.. She is doing will... Again thanks for the sound advice. Just over 3 weeks to recover I am glad I gave her the chance

• Advertisement

trauma boy wrote: »
    Hi guys just an update thank ye for the advice ... She has recovered thanks fathead 82. Aonb I took your advice with the yogurt and cat food it did give her the boost... She is up walking around all be it with a limp she is in and out of the coop up the ramp no bother and has taken her place back on the perching bar.. She is doing will... Again thanks for the sound advice. Just over 3 weeks to recover I am glad I gave her the chance

oh thats great news - well done! the fact that she was laying was positive, but three weeks is a long time to be 'stuck' - great that you gave her the chance to recover - Id have wimped out after a week and taken her to the vet! Hens are so bloody fragile, then they make a recovery like this, and happy days!!

Advertisement