Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21 and only getting €7:32

Options
  • 08-06-2016 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi
    I'm 21 and I am only on 7:32. I'm fresh from college and this isn't my first job over the age of 18. Anyone know is this right?
    Anyone know of a better place to post either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/minimum-wage-in-ireland-2016.html

^^ its right, poster above check what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 squiddy

So I should be getting the 9:15 because iv had an employment of some kind?

mad m wrote: »
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/minimum-wage-in-ireland-2016.html

^^ its right, poster above check what it says.

But it's not his first year of working??

squiddy wrote: »
    So I should be getting the 9:15 because iv had an employment of some kind?

Unless you're only in your second year of working...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm fresh from college and this isn't my first job over the age of 18.

How many years have you worked for since you turned 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Hi
    I'm 21 and I am only on 7:32. I'm fresh from college and this isn't my first job over the age of 18. Anyone know is this right?
    Anyone know of a better place to post either

The reality is an employer who pays a 21 year old €7.32 (even legally) is probably not one worth hanging around for.

By all means push for more but I think it would be worth your while looking for another job at the same time - as many say it seems to be easier to find a job while you have one.

Edit: to answer your question if you have
    <12 months experience - €7.32
    >12 months experience - €8.24
    >24 months experience - €9.15

Which bracket are you in?
    If more than 12 months get the P60's from revenue and show copies to your employer and tell them you are underpaid - ask for it to be fixed and backdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

There's plenty of places that will pay you with a respectable wage when starting off. You should start looking elsewhere and hopefully you will find a job that value you as an employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

It is legal. End of. However look for another job . It's not going to get much better from that employer I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

What company is paying this? I'm surenthere is no problem naming if it is in fact legal, yet extremely poor form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Slunk wrote: »
    What company is paying this? I'm surenthere is no problem naming if it is in fact legal, yet extremely poor form.

Would love to know this too.

Started my first job last year, part time weekend work, in retail, and I'm on €10 Saturdays/€15 Sundays an hour.

That pay seems to be ridiculous OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Slunk wrote: »

Why's it poor form?

The OP has very little work experience. Because of this, they're unlikely to be worth the full adult wage. The law recognises this, and sets a minimum wage for them which reflects how much use they're likely to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Why's it poor form?

The OP has very little work experience. Because of this, they're unlikely to be worth the full adult wage. The law recognises this, and sets a minimum wage for them which reflects how much use they're likely to be.

The law is an ass. More than likely its an entry level job were three weeks good training and a years experience would be the same. Just because its law doesn't mean its correct. I think its appalling that an adult in full time emoloyment is getting less than the 9.15ph. Its hard enough to get by on the minimum never mind this ridiculous wage.

Advertisement