Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build time advice

Options
  • 08-06-2016 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, Finally starting looking to replace my old i7-930 pc with a new build. I was thinking of going skylake i7 6700k but I've been looking more and more at the upcoming i7 6800k/6850k.

What has me kind of stumped is the motherboard selection for x99, can I (should I) buy any 2011-3 socket board and stick a broadwell-e into it? or should I be looking at newly released motherboards? In a couple of gigabyte boards that are on pre-order I am seeing that they support intel turbo boost 3.0, is this an important feature?

I am slowly going to build this pc up bit by bit so I am in no massive rush, I was thinking mobo first, then cpu, then ram+cooler+ssd+case etc.

My thinking behind going x99 over skylake is that with more and more games/programs starting to use multithreading/dx 12 having 2 extra cores might help future proof my build a bit, id like to keep my cpu/mobo for hopefully as long as my trusty i7 930 (5 years or so), Is that not really viable anymore aka am I an idiot :pac:

any advice, board recommendations would be great :)

btw pc will mostly be used for gaming, but i do want to get into video editing in the near future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you have to ask, then it's not an important feature. It's basically the Intel controlled overclocking on non-k chips.

You could pull 5 years from a Skylake build I'd say, especially if you get an overclocking chip. While more cores are being used, it'll be a while before games are designed for, or need, any more than 4 cores imo, I'd save the money and go Skylake all the way but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

any ideas if either 2011v3 or 1151 be used for the next generation of chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

2011v3 is supposedly on it's last legs, as Skylak-Extreme is set to use a new 20xx board.
    LGA 1511 on the other hand is supposed to Handle Kaby Lake.

Just a thought, but the Extreme CPUs will most likely be a bit OTT compared to a Skylake i7 which should be fine for the next 3-5 years. DX12's multi-core use is still in it's early days, and according to the AoTS devs "a useful tool that does need time to get used to"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

finding it pretty hard to make a decision tbh, I'd really love an i7 6850k but its a lot of money, i guess I'm wondering how much better if any would a 6850 be over a 6700 in the long run, will kaby lake be much good in comparison.

Its hard stuff to make a solid decision on as there's a lot of what if's and maybes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

You might aswell just get a 6700K and 16GB DDR4, as this is plenty for gaming and video editing!
    Put the rest of the money into a Z170 board (such as the ASUS Z170A for example) and a quiet cooler and there you go!

• Advertisement
Advertisement