Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding dress fitting

• 08-06-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Herself is about to receive her wedding dress and needs to get it fitted in Dublin city centre.

She's just been quoted €350 for this and I'm wondering if this sounds right? That price has been given without knowing exactly what needs to be done to the dress so I'm thinking it's the usual practice of adding a zero to the price cos it's a wedding that everyone seems to be doing?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It depends on the dress. Mine was lace, needed to be taken up and a few other things adjusted, it was a good bit of work. I went with the bridal shop seamstress for convenience and I think it was €200-€250, this was five years ago. I know other people shopped around but I didn't know any other dressmakers and didn't want to take a chance so I went with her. My dress fit perfectly. I've seen a few badly fitted dresses over the years as well, including one from a very popular Dublin bridal shop so maybe others on here will have recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

lazygal wrote: »
    It depends on the dress. Mine was lace, needed to be taken up and a few other things adjusted, it was a good bit of work. I went with the bridal shop seamstress for convenience and I think it was €200-€250, this was five years ago. I know other people shopped around but I didn't know any other dressmakers and didn't want to take a chance so I went with her. My dress fit perfectly. I've seen a few badly fitted dresses over the years as well, including one from a very popular Dublin bridal shop so maybe others on here will have recommendations.

Yes thanks for your reply. Any recommendations would be great. It's for a wedding happening on 2nd of July and we're leaving the country for it on the 27th. Eek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A friend of mine got something remade by the Zipyard in Dublin, but I haven't used the service myself. She seemed happy-not a wedding dress though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

It depends on how closely the dress fits her now. Most bridal shops say to expect alterations to cost around €300. It's just a ballpark figure they give as alterations can end up costing a lot depending on the dress.

Brides often end up losing weight so dresses might need to be sized down, there's a bustle, and it might need to be taken up (if its a scalloped end this could up the price a lot) If it needs to be re beaded this also adds to the cost. So that might be why the figure seems high. Until they see the dress there's no way to know.

I needed minimal alterations and they still cost €75 for it to be taken up, have a bustle added and a couple of other little things. But because my material was difficult to work with it raised the cost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd recommend looking for a seamstress who works independently and is experienced in wedding dresses. My alterations cost €100 for hemming (on a ballgown with lace and lots of layers) and a bustle. But €350 might be reasonable if there are extensive alterations needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement