Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda vetting - teacher's responsibility now?

Options
  • 08-06-2016 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone there aware of the new situation re garda vetting. I went to apply for a job with an ETB yesterday and noticed that you now how to upload proof you are garda vetted as part of the application so I got on to the teaching council to ask them for a copy of the garda clearance I got last year but was told there's now a new online system for vetting in place since April whereby it is now the teacher's rather than the employing school's responsibility to get garda clearance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hadn't heard about it.

In theory, it should make things a lot more straightforward for individuals to apply in various settings, not just teaching. Good thing.

In practise, I wonder in what nonsensical way the vetting office will manage to balls it up and make it as unwieldy and unworkable as the old system. Bad thing...

Edit: Just checked. Individuals still need not apply...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

I didn't realise this either and I'm currently job hunting so immediately looked into it.

You need to fill out a proof of identity form with the teaching council and then send certified copies of your identification to the TC. You then get a link to apply for the Vetting process online.

I'm also happier and happier I moved back from England after only two years...
    Applicants for registration who have lived outside of Ireland or Northern Ireland for a cumulative period of 3 years (36 months) or more after the age of 18 must provide a certified copy of police clearance for each country in which they have resided. Clearance certificates must cover the entire period of residence in each country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

aunt aggie wrote: »
    I didn't realise this either and I'm currently job hunting so immediately looked into it.

You need to fill out a proof of identity form with the teaching council and then send certified copies of your identification to the TC. You then get a link to apply for the Vetting process online.

I'm also happier and happier I moved back from England after only two years...

Yeah I had to do this a few weeks ago and had IT problems with the second form. It took nearly three weeks for completion. Its done now but I would recommend anyone job hunting to get their vetting complete asap. Thank God it's valid for two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How do these new rules apply to SNA's, who are applying for positions? I see for teachers, the method is fairly straight forward - http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Vetting/Guide-to-applying-for-Vetting/

However, for SNA's, it's less clear. The info online states that a school must provide a job applicant with a vetting invitation form, so once cleared does that clearance last for future applications, or does each school have to vet candidates, even if already vetted?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/monitoring_and_surveillance_at_work/garda_clearance_for_employees.html#ld1a9a

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Myrddin wrote: »
    How do these new rules apply to SNA's, who are applying for positions? I see for teachers, the method is fairly straight forward - http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Vetting/Guide-to-applying-for-Vetting/

However, for SNA's, it's less clear. The info online states that a school must provide a job applicant with a vetting invitation form, so once cleared does that clearance last for future applications, or does each school have to vet candidates, even if already vetted?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/monitoring_and_surveillance_at_work/garda_clearance_for_employees.html#ld1a9a

I was under the assumption that if you move schools with a gap in service then you had to get revetted! That's what I understood 2 years ago anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Correct on that. Subs then need to apply to teaching council for them to submit a vetting form , it used to be that their vetting would only be valid if it was from the current year or previous calendar year. It's changed again this year, you fill in an online form on the teaching council site, then submit evidence of who you are, they then send a link to you by email and then you fill in another form which is for the vetting bureau. Long and even more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

For snas you cannot get Garda vetting by yourself the school you're employed in has to do it. Schools are asking for Garda vetting with job applications which is very unfair as your current vetting won't do. We don't have a "teaching council" to organise it and so are in a catch 22 situation.

I'm involved with a couple of different volunteer groups and had to get individual Garda vetting for each one as it is not transferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Schools are asking for Garda vetting with job applications which is very unfair as your current vetting won't do. We don't have a "teaching council" to organise it and so are in a catch 22 situation.

Precisely, vacancies are stating that you need prior clearance as an SNA, which is impossible to get :confused: The school needs to manage vetting, but they're saying you need to have your clearance in order before applying :confused:

Advertisement