Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seat repair

• 08-06-2016 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

Failed my nct today due to the damage on the driver seat in the picture.

Seemed a bit petty as it's not really going to impact the driving of the car but anyway, what's the best way to go about getting it fixed?

A seat cover would hardly do the job? Can it be repaired or am I gonna have to I try and source another seat from a scrapyard?

Many thanks for any and all help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't think a seat cover will help as they will check under it. Getting somone to fix it with new upholstery will be prohibitively expensive.

If the car is a common enough model you should try to source another seat at a scrapyard. If there's no side air bag in the seat or heated seats it's a relatively simple process, which should just require a basic socket set to take the old one out. What type of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

I don't think a seat cover will help as they will check under it. Getting somone to fix it with new upholstery will be prohibitively expensive.

If the car is a common enough model you should try to source another seat at a scrapyard. If there's no side air bag in the seat or heated seats it's a relatively simple process, which should just require a basic socket set to take the old one out. What type of car is it?

It's a 2004 Renault Clio. Yeah it's a pain a Keig, Probably best to try and get somebody to do a patch job on it. Unfortunately I'm not the handiest at that type of thing so trying to find somebody to do it will be a pain I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I paid €20 for a seat in Kilcock Car Dismantlers. Just go down and get one!

Get the mother at it with a sewing needle, or get a hot glue gun and just glue the hole together and then glue the upholstery to the seat, just stretch it to meet.

On a car that age I wouldn't even be bothered going to the effort of buying a seat from a dismantlers, it obviously doesn't bother you so once its patched what can the nct say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I can't believe that's a fail! :eek:

I would imagine sewing a patch over it should be enough?..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

The more stories you hear like this the less faith you have in the NCT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Shove a bit of sponge into it, small bit of similar material and stitch it back up. They'd surely accept that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

This can't be for real can it? A tear in the fabric is a fail!!

Me jeep has a horrible tear much bigger than that in the same spot. I can't justify a trip to the upholsterers so I just threw a black seat cover which doesnt really fit, on it. They never said a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

It failed because of the exposed metal where the foam has worn away.

Advertisement