Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 month old not walking/standing

Options
  • 08-06-2016 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have 2 older kids who both walked around the age of 1, but number 3 is struggling to even stand at 15 months. He'll refuse to stand unless I support him against the side of the bath for instance but he'll panic if I let him go. I understand they all develop in their own good time etc., but should I be worried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

I think if you are concerned you should contact your public health nurse and see if you can get referred to a physio in your local health center. (I got my daughter referred this way as I was concerned with her feet turning in and got an appointment with the physio quickly)

My eldest son was being seen by the Physio in the hospital he was born in due to complications with his delivery, from birth till about age 2. He was very slow to walk (probably about 18/19 months) but he did cruise before this. He never crawled. I did find the physio useful she showed us some games/techniques to get him moving.

Really they are all different and they all walk & talk when then are ready, seeing your doctor or the public health nurse or a physio will help put your mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My 16 mths old isn't walking or standing on her own yet either. She does cruise along furniture and walks while pushing her walker though. My little boy was the very same and didn't walk until 17 or 18 months. I found it was mostly down to fear, he was very sturdy and well able to go when holding onto my fingers but would freak out if I left go. Does your little boy have a push along walker? You could try and build his confidence with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rdhelp

My son needed physio and is still attending, he didn't walk until about 22 months. If you're concerned as other posters said contact phn and get him referred for physio. I always think its better to get them seen than to sit worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

rdhelp wrote: »
    My son needed physio and is still attending, he didn't walk until about 22 months. If you're concerned as other posters said contact phn and get him referred for physio. I always think its better to get them seen than to sit worrying.

I don't think the PHN will refer to physio until 18 months (based on my experience with the system) as it's still very much within the range of normal for a child not to be walking until then.

Edit: just to clarify - I mean they are unlikely to refer if the only issue is the child is not walking independently - if you feel there may be a physical problem then of course talk to your PHN and ask about referral

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

OP can your LO stand with support?? If so then I believe you've nothing to worry about. My nephew didn't walk til 20 months and my cousin was the same age or even older. Your baby may just be a late walker and that's fine although I know it's hard not to worry or compare. However if he/she can't bare weight on their legs with support, I would raise it GP /PHN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My first didn't crawl til 15 months and didn't walk til 20 or 21 months.
    There is a huge "normal" range of age for starting to walk.
    No harm having a chat with the PHN anyway to put your mind at rest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 4 ranged from about 10 - 17 months when they started walking unaided.
    The 3rd was 17 months and his sisters used to get everything for him,the 4th despite her hyper mobility issues took her 1st unaided step at 10 months.
    They all walk and talk at different stages but I would chat to your PHN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We're going through an assessment of need at the minute for our 3yr old and have been told he was very late reaching all his milestones (he crawled at 9 months and walked at 15). I wouldn't have considered those stages all that late though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

yellow hen wrote: »
    We're going through an assessment of need at the minute for our 3yr old and have been told he was very late reaching all his milestones (he crawled at 9 months and walked at 15). I wouldn't have considered those stages all that late though.

Neither of them are late at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Just an update on this. He is now 20 months and still not walking on his own, he cruises around the furniture etc without a bother and walks beside me clinging to my fingertip but just won't let go. He will walk maybe 3 or 4 steps to you (with his eyes closed!) but gets very frustrated and if you ask him to do this too often he gets cross and sits back down. He can't actually stand on his own yet, when I stand him up he falls backward. I went for his check up at the AMO doctor in the week and not overly concerned, will monitor again in 2 months. We do have a physio appointment in a few weeks so hopefully that might help. I think if he gets over his fear of standing he'll be well away. Any tips would be much appreciated please!! It's back breaking at the minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My fella had a gear of falling too. He was coasting by 10 mths but walk completely independently until 15mths. We found not reacting to him falling on his bum helped, not watching his every step , leaving him to it in the sitting room where I could peek in at him but he couldn't see me! And we also took in to soft play and gymboree . They have mats so it doesn't hurt as much when they fall and also seeing all the other kids not afraid helps

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Would strongly recommend attending a community paediatrician. If a child is falling when attempting to walk might indicate a developmental or neurological issue, if ongoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Bring the kid to the doc and ask urgently for an assessment. It might [this is not medical advice!!!] be anything from soreness to inner ear probs causing balance probs, but you need to know pronto, and to get expert help to find out.

If it turns out that there's nothing wrong, maybe try to get hold of one of those old-fashioned wooden playpens (with rods too close together to get head through, obv) or a trampoline with a netted side little fingers can fit through that you can use as a playpen; pad the bottom with a duvet and let the kiddo play in there. Then getting up on the feet will be simple, supported and no [unconscious] pressure from a worried mammy. If the little one falls down and get scared, don't make a big deal, just say "It'll stop hurting soon" and give a gentle pat and cuddle. You can always sit in there and read with to yourself too, let the kid roam around with you there (but ignoring him mostly) for security.

I did not walk independently till I was two. I was a bum shuffler, and flew round the place on my bum. Did some cruising, took a few steps not holding on at 18 months and then went straight back to bum shuffling until I was 2 and then started walking. Ended up being very sporty and a pretty good runner, but not until my teenage years, was always slightly behind the curve psychically in primary school. Do get all the tests, investigations etc you can get done, but try not to worry too much, all children do things differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

HelgaWard wrote: »
    I did not walk independently till I was two. I was a bum shuffler, and flew round the place on my bum. Did some cruising, took a few steps not holding on at 18 months and then went straight back to bum shuffling until I was 2 and then started walking. Ended up being very sporty and a pretty good runner, but not until my teenage years, was always slightly behind the curve psychically in primary school. Do get all the tests, investigations etc you can get done, but try not to worry too much, all children do things differently.

Thank you. He was a bum shuffler until about 14 months when he started crawling. The PHN told us that bum shufflers generally would be slower with the walking and would give an extra 2 months before getting involved (20 months v 18 months for crawlers). I don't think there's any soreness in his legs as he coasts around with no obvious pain and stands holding onto things for minutes on end. I'm thinking it could possibly be his ears affecting balance but more likely that as he's that much older he's seems quite bright and knows that a fall will possibly hurt whereas a 10 month old for instance wouldn't have this fear. I'll see how it goes for the next fortnight and then we have the physio appointment.

Thank you. He was a bum shuffler until about 14 months when he started crawling. The PHN told us that bum shufflers generally would be slower with the walking and would give an extra 2 months before getting involved (20 months v 18 months for crawlers). I don't think there's any soreness in his legs as he coasts around with no obvious pain and stands holding onto things for minutes on end. I'm thinking it could possibly be his ears affecting balance but more likely that as he's that much older he's seems quite bright and knows that a fall will possibly hurt whereas a 10 month old for instance wouldn't have this fear. I'll see how it goes for the next fortnight and then we have the physio appointment.

Both mine were bum shufflers too, and slow to walk independently. Also, like yours they were both cautious, I never had to worry about them climbing out of a cot, or up on a book shelf, far too cautious for that. It has it's pros and cons!! Mine are older now, 7 & 5 and I've been very conscious of giving them as much active time as I can, brought them to fit kids from about the age of two, lots of time in playgrounds, swimming, kick boxing has been particularly good for the older boy who was very awkward in his movements. He's really come on, still slow at running, struggled with dressing himself etc. Conversely he's very bright, learnt to read very quickly and great with maths. I know I was similar myself, I remember in 4th class skipping was all the rage in the playground at school, the one where two people swing the rope and you have to run in. I always stood back, considered myself not able to do it, until some really kind girls in my class forced me to give it a go and swang the rope super slow for me until I got the knack. I got REALLY in to it, and I'd say it literally did wonders for my co-ordination!! I'm hoping my two will find something they like as much at some stage that will bring them on! But sure all in it's own good time! Best of luck!

Advertisement