Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TTC#2 unexplained infertility

Options
  • 08-06-2016 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

We're ttc our second baby for 3 years now with no success. Our first baby was conceived easily so this time has been a very different and stressful experience.

I've had my thyroid, days 3/21 bloods, fallopian tubes checked and my egg reserve checked (37) - everything has come back fine. My husbands sperm analysis is fine too.

I went to the Hari unit for a consultation and mentioned that before we started ttc baby 2 I had a smear test done that came back abnormal and that resulted in a biopsy and Lettz treatment. The consultant said I might be suffering from cervical stenosis which would prevent sperm from getting through the cervix.

Has anyone heard of this or experienced it? I'm not sure at this stage what to do, they said that as I've no fertility issues it would be straight to IUI or IVF. The IUI success rates are very low and the IVF is very expensive but I think it might be our only option.

I'm just looking for some advice as this is all confusing and stressful.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

Hi All,

We're ttc our second baby for 3 years now with no success. Our first baby was conceived easily so this time has been a very different and stressful experience.

I've had my thyroid, days 3/21 bloods, fallopian tubes checked and my egg reserve checked (37) - everything has come back fine. My husbands sperm analysis is fine too.

I went to the Hari unit for a consultation and mentioned that before we started ttc baby 2 I had a smear test done that came back abnormal and that resulted in a biopsy and Lettz treatment. The consultant said I might be suffering from cervical stenosis which would prevent sperm from getting through the cervix.

Has anyone heard of this or experienced it? I'm not sure at this stage what to do, they said that as I've no fertility issues it would be straight to IUI or IVF. The IUI success rates are very low and the IVF is very expensive but I think it might be our only option.

I'm just looking for some advice as this is all confusing and stressful.

Thanks!

I've no experience of cervical stenosis sp I'm no help on that. However I'm in the same situation as you. I had a baby that was conceived naturally after a few months trying. I assumed it would be the same second time. I was very wrong. We have tryed clomid and TSI with no positive result. My FSH is too high and my AMH is too low. So we are doing IVF.
    I'm sick of comments from family and friends along the lines of "time to have a second baby".
    I've never once commented on anyone's situation and certainly never will as I know how unpleasant and upsetting it is. Those comments are topped of by people wondering why we aren't going on holidays or getting some work done on the house like we'd planned to. All that money is gone on IVF.
    I hope all works out for you. Look after yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stylejunkie

Thanks Fingersandtoes! it is a bit soul destroying at times as like you I thought things would be the same second time around. I find it hard as I feel guilty that my daughter has no siblings and she's beginning to talk about that and it's a difficult conversation to have as I can't promise her that she will have a brother or sister. She's 5 now and I'm beginning to wonder if there would be too big an age gap at this stage! I've just turned 41 so age isn't on my side either:( I think realistically we'll have to go down the IVF route.

I hope all works out for you too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Thanks Fingersandtoes! it is a bit soul destroying at times as like you I thought things would be the same second time around. I find it hard as I feel guilty that my daughter has no siblings and she's beginning to talk about that and it's a difficult conversation to have as I can't promise her that she will have a brother or sister. She's 5 now and I'm beginning to wonder if there would be too big an age gap at this stage! I've just turned 41 so age isn't on my side either:( I think realistically we'll have to go down the IVF route.

I hope all works out for you too:)

I can't offer you any practical advice, but I would like to reassure you not to worry about the age gap. There are six years between myself and my younger brother (34 & 28), and we're thick as thieves. I really wouldn't change a thing :) Same in my husbands house, three kids with a total of 14 years between oldest and youngest.
    The very best of luck to you, I hope it all work out.

Advertisement