Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of Robert Splaine's decision today?

Options
  • 08-06-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

So Greg Broderick is going to Rio... What do you think?

Personally I'm delighted for Greg, he's a great guy and from what I've seen his horse is in fab form. I've seen the explanation around deciding based on form, and while I know going global has been jumping out of his skin lately I'm not sure how Bertram Allen was ruled out, but I do think Robert Splaine has more experience and knowledge than the screaming hordes on my Facebook feed looking for justice for Bertram!

What do you all think? Anyone have a better understanding than me as to why Going Global has had better form than Bertram Allen's rides?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I fully support the decision. I just think its an awful shame that we don't have a full team going because they are brilliant at the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Will admit to being disappointed that Bertam is not going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Will admit to being disappointed that Bertam is not going

Yeh, I'm genuinely delighted for Greg Broderick and as I say I'm inclined to trust Robert splains decision more than my thoughts on who would go but I don't understand the decision... All the indicators I saw were that it would be Bertram Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I don't have a problem with Greg going, and I see the reasoning behind it. I believe he'll do well for us out there.

However I really feel for Bertram who won the spot and is equally as deserving of it as Greg.

If it was an open spot not gained by a specific rider I probably wouldn't feel quite as uneasy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Pretty incendiary comments from Cian O'Connor yesterday in the indo

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crowds-saddle-up-for-mane-event-at-the-rds-34900808.html

Topping the leader board in the Speed Stakes competition, champion showjumper Cian O'Connor said he could not see Ireland being beaten in the Aga Khan on Friday.

But in the same breath he hinted strongly at trouble in the camp over Ireland's failure to qualify for Rio, pointing the finger at management.

"The bottom line is we weren't good enough to qualify and we haven't asked the difficult questions," he said.

He added that journalists had also failed to ask the proper questions about "what was going on."

Plans Asked his own opinion of why Ireland had not qualified, he claimed it was about saving horses for big events and also about being able to "manage, structure, and for the lads who've planned their campaign to work with the management and the management to lead and give direction."

"If you have four people doing their own thing and they come together to win the odd time, it's only going to happen by chance and not by design," he insisted.

Reading between the lines is he complaining about how management put too much focus on the Aga Khan last year and the team weren't fresh for the final qualifier? I would agree with that actually but on the other hand the idea of management setting Cian's personal program is a joke.

Or is it just a hissy fit at being overlooked for the individual place for Rio

Either way how can he have a workable relationship with Robert Splaine now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Pretty incendiary comments from Cian O'Connor yesterday in the indo

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crowds-saddle-up-for-mane-event-at-the-rds-34900808.html

Topping the leader board in the Speed Stakes competition, champion showjumper Cian O'Connor said he could not see Ireland being beaten in the Aga Khan on Friday.

But in the same breath he hinted strongly at trouble in the camp over Ireland's failure to qualify for Rio, pointing the finger at management.

"The bottom line is we weren't good enough to qualify and we haven't asked the difficult questions," he said.

He added that journalists had also failed to ask the proper questions about "what was going on."

Plans Asked his own opinion of why Ireland had not qualified, he claimed it was about saving horses for big events and also about being able to "manage, structure, and for the lads who've planned their campaign to work with the management and the management to lead and give direction."

"If you have four people doing their own thing and they come together to win the odd time, it's only going to happen by chance and not by design," he insisted.

Reading between the lines is he complaining about how management put too much focus on the Aga Khan last year and the team weren't fresh for the final qualifier? I would agree with that actually but on the other hand the idea of management setting Cian's personal program is a joke.

Or is it just a hissy fit at being overlooked for the individual place for Rio

Either way how can he have a workable relationship with Robert Splaine now?

I don't know too much about the training programs they have in place but I wouldn't disagree that they would need to train as a team as well as separately. I think he is alluding to the fact that maybe there has been no team training? Again, I don't know.

Cian has always been fairly vocal about anything he takes issue with, I wonder if Splaine will just let it wash over him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

First thing it Cian and the Indo. No other Equestrian exists in Indo Land.They put up his pic in an article about young Gordon winning last week and its in the Racing Section
    2nd Cian is brillant at using the media.
    His ranking means he not automatic for GCT or the Masters Shows.Bertram and Dennis have other options. He needs the Nations Cup Shows and Ireland winning to get invites.
    Its only this year where Bertram has not depended on Romanov as his back up and he is getting on.
    Even Cian himself depends on Good Luck.
    Would he be complaining if he was going to the GTC shows every few weeks with the prize money available. Not a hope..
    The other thing is Greg and Going Global are in the Limelight at the moment . If things go well there will be a rival for the screaming teeny bopper fans. GG is Irish Bred and will become the crowds new favourite as he seems to be a big gentle giant.
    Thats not good for the media savvy Cian.

Advertisement