Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antenatal Classes

Options
  • 08-06-2016 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

Just starting to wonder about the Antenatal classes, i'm based in Wex and my partner is likely to be unable to attend one or possibly two of them.
    Is it common for the partners to go to all 4 they have here? The first class he is likely to miss is about the pain relief etc but could also end up missing the last class with 2nd and 3rd stages of labour and caring for newborn?
    Is it going to be an issue do you think or should be fine? Even changing the dates for them don't help!
    Any advice or past experiences with the classes helpful! :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We never went to the hospitals classes. Honestly they are quite important. Especially the pain relief ones and if your partner intends to be involve in the birth. If your birth is easy and straight forward then he'll be grand but if there's complications he won't know what to say or do to help you.

On my first we did a private class for about 100 euro. Was 3 hrs and was just as informative as the hospital one, plus the lady could go into detail on aspects that affected us or we weren't clear on. And we got to pick a time that suited us.

Due our second in a few weeks and did a gentle birth antenatal class this time. Was a little over 300 euro, so expensive, but worth every penny I think and really gets the partners involved and confident in their role in the birth process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I'm doing mine through the hospital. There's 5 in total and apparently partners are only welcome to classes 4&5. I don't know what's covered in each class though

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Did absolutely none on first pregnancy (moved county and new hospital was all booked up) we got on just fine.

With regards to complications - you could be straped to a continuous monitor unable to move at all. Nothing you or your partner can do. Midwives told him how to help and he did it, told him he was very helpful as some Dad's just think it's all staying up the top end coaching mom. My partner was holding my legs open whilst they did oxygen prick tests. To think some say romance is dead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Similarly we ended up missing our antenatal class and can't say we had any issues - I was private and had consultant had an idea how I felt about certain things and was very good at discussing things with us etc. As for caring for the baby the midwives, healthcare assistants and instincts took care of that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I would say they're essential, you need to know your options. Things have changed in the 2 years since my first and I'm really glad I did my refresher classes. Hospital policies and options vary and it's good to know what's available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement