Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a VISA for 3 days work

Options
  • 08-06-2016 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been asked to give a training course for 3 days by a US multinational. Its paid work and I would bill the Dublin office of the multinational afterwards.

Do I need a work visa for this?..the visa website is so confusing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes and no- if you were actually working and paid by a US firm, then you'd need a visa.
    However, in your case you are attending a work training, and paid by the Irish office, so you can travel on the VWP. I did it all the time when working for American Airlines.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

silja wrote: »
    Yes and no- if you were actually working and paid by a US firm, then you'd need a visa.
    However, in your case you are attending a work training, and paid by the Irish office, so you can travel on the VWP. I did it all the time when working for American Airlines.

Op is delivering the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If a US multinational company has a Dublin office, then that office will be registered here, with the Irish Companies office. So he is to all intents and purposes, working for an Irish company, even if their parent company is the US multinational.

The bog standard ESTA allows for people to travel to the US to participate in paid training activities, as long as they are being paid by an Irish company and not a US one. Participate is the word I would use if questioned at the Customs and Immigration check point btw.

Advertisement