Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weighing baby without scale

Options
  • 08-06-2016 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I want to check my son's (9 months old) weight over the next three months on a monthly basis. We won't have any checkup until after three months but for his baby book I want to document his weight. So far it has always worked out but now I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion where I can get him weighed once a month without having to buy a scale.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Is there a local breastfeeding group? Mine had a baby scale and you could just pop in during the group to use it, even if you weren't staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Some pharmacys have any scales. I know some McCabes have them. Also, if you pop into your GP practice you can weigh them there. Alternatively if you have a normal scales at home, weight yourself, the withheld yourself holding your baby and subtract the first weight from the second which equals baby's weight 😊.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I have been known to occasionally weigh my two on the dog-scales in Petmania

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We just weighed our 7.5 mnth old this evening using a luggage weight thingie - do you have one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Kash wrote: »
    I have been known to occasionally weigh my two on the dog-scales in Petmania

Was going to suggest that . Or take him to the airport ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I weighed my 2 year old last week at the vets!!!!!!
    I weighed myself this week in a petshop :D they both have those big huge digital scales!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I compared mine to tent bags in Decathlon (we were in there to buy her a lifejacket for Granddad's boat)... Heavier than the one marked 10kg, lighter than the 12.5. Turns out they had a scales and she's 12.8kg, so I'm guessing the weights listed on the tents are fibbing! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

My local boots store offer a free baby weighting service down at the pharmacy side of the store :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Do you have a standard weighing scales for adults? If so just stand on it and note your weight and then stand on it holding your son and the difference in the two is his weight

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Do you have a standard weighing scales for adults? If so just stand on it and note your weight and then stand on it holding your son and the difference in the two is his weight

+1

We do this all the time. Usually first thing in the morning before she feeds too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

ChewChew wrote: »
    +1

We do this all the time. Usually first thing in the morning before she feeds too!
    Same here but make sure nappy is off or nice and fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

sareer wrote: »
    I want to check my son's (9 months old) weight over the next three months on a monthly basis. We won't have any checkup until after three months but for his baby book I want to document his weight. So far it has always worked out but now I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion where I can get him weighed once a month without having to buy a scale.

Sorry I'm a bit late to do this but my PHN lets me come over whenever I want to do a quick weight check. Yours might be the same? My baby was born small but she has let me do it with all of my children so don't think it's a massive deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

We just weighed our 7.5 mnth old this evening using a luggage weight thingie - do you have one of those?

Have to say I laughed when i seen this, thinking of you dangling the baby by the nappy on one of those hooks.

I always used the weigh me and the baby, minus my weight. Not perfect but pretty close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

CramCycle wrote: »
    Have to say I laughed when i seen this, thinking of you dangling the baby by the nappy on one of those hooks.

LOL yeah I know it must conjure up all sorts of images, but our PHN uses what looks like a luggage weight for weighing the baby, and we just copy what she does!
    Tie a muslin cloth or similar around babys body just under the arms, make sure its good and secure (but not too tight!) then attach the scale thingie and slowly lift them with that - just enough to come off the ground. So yeah, she does kind of 'dangle' there for a second, but not upside down or by the nappy or anything ;) And have another person poised ready to grab baby in case she slips or anything.

Advertisement