Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Do I need to do IBT training?

• 08-06-2016 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭salad17

Hi guys,

I'm sure this is a tired old question!

I got my license around 2012, I redid the theory test (had already done it for car) as I was told I needed to. When I went in to get my bike provisional they told me I hadn't needed to redo it at all, and that it would count off my original test.

Subsequently I ended up with a license that displayed "valid from 2005 until 2014".

Here Is a picture
    tinypic.com/r/2s1qf4w/9

Now I know this seems strange! So I am just getting back into biking now and need to renew my expired learner permit, I am wondering since my original learner started before the "magic date" of ibt training and all that, do I now need to do it or can I just progress to my full test etc without doing ibt at all?

Thanks very much for any help!

Comments

salad17 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm sure this is a tired old question!

I got my license around 2012, I redid the theory test (had already done it for car) as I was told I needed to. When I went in to get my bike provisional they told me I hadn't needed to redo it at all, and that it would count off my original test.

Subsequently I ended up with a license that displayed "valid from 2005 until 2014".

Here Is a picture
    tinypic.com/r/2s1qf4w/9

Now I know this seems strange! So I am just getting back into biking now and need to renew my expired learner permit, I am wondering since my original learner started before the "magic date" of ibt training and all that, do I now need to do it or can I just progress to my full test etc without doing ibt at all?

Thanks very much for any help!
    My friend was in the same situation recently and had to re do the IBT unfortunately, your best off ringing the RSA to double check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's a little complicated depending on your ambition but in a nutshell, if you're happy with a medium power bike forever, then you could pass the A2 test without taking IBT and say no more. However, if you want full power bikes, you'll need to complete IBT either now or later (ie after 2 years through progressive access) however, that would mean your instructor can give you the full A entitlement without having to take another test (I still wouldn't imagine it's a walk in the park though and would probably be similarly expensive in the long run).

Personally, my advice is to just take the plunge; renew the A category and maybe the other motorcycle categories (you'll have to book the A test so you can renew but you won't be issued a test date), take your IBT in the spirit of skill and knowledge it's intended to be and before you start forgetting it, take your full test and be done with it. Anything less is just more hassle and work later.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭salad17

Thanks very much for the replies and info.

I spoke to NDLS and RSA, just thought I'd relay the information I received here in case anyone else is looking.

So because my first learner permit is dated before the 2013 date, I can continue to drive anything in category A1 and A2 without any IBT training, then I can sit my full A2 test, as you said cantdecide.

After that, once I have had my full A2 license for minimum 2 years, I can do module 5 of IBT training and my license category will become full A license, without having to resit any test.

So by going this route I should be saving a bit of time and money by doing just module 5 instead of 1 3 and 5.

Also, I am 28, so this may not apply to others if under 25 I think.

I understand that IBT is probably worth doing and is valuable training, but having driven bikes for a couple of years it seems redundant to do basic training, though I'm sure I'd still pick up a thing or 2.

So as i'm currently working on my cb400 and getting it on the road, I think that's the route I'll go down, I'm happy to stick with this bike for a couple years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Dear God, that seems very complicated, my first provisional (learners) you just paid the money (which wouldn't have been that much) and away you go, not a bother!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

salad17 wrote: »
    I understand that IBT is probably worth doing and is valuable training, but having driven bikes for a couple of years it seems redundant to do basic training, though I'm sure I'd still pick up a thing or 2.

A lot of progress made then but bear just one more thing in mind before you make the decision to go for the A2 test- you will still need pre-test training regardless of whether it's IBT based or not. Like passing the car test, anyone can drive the car competently and safely but you're being assessed on certain criteria which you are unlikely to be aware of untrained.

I think the final thing you need to do is speak to an instructor and compare the actual cost of the A2 pre-test training against the full A/ full IBT training. I won't labour the point but I believe if you could be making a very modest saving of money and bringing restrictions and complications on yourself which you won't thank yourself for later. As far as I understand. module 5 is the greater part of the training anyway so you can still have your CB400, which is a great choice, and use a school bike for the A test.

But it's your choice and best of luck regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭salad17

Thanks cantdecide, yes I had figured I would need a lesson or two before the test in order to be successful. Now I'm not at all claiming I am an exceptionally good driver, or "too good for IBT", more that maybe a more advanced training might be suitable, as I am already pretty comfortable with how to ride a bike etc.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought that maybe the IBT could be taken in place of the lessons I would need anyway, would the IBT be enough information/geared towards passing the full test as well?

Yes the price difference may not be that great between the multiple IBT modules for direct access, and just doing the module 5 with progressive access. The person I spoke to at RSA seemed to imply it was a worthwhile saving, but that's something I'll have to look into. I will hold off on my decision and check that out first so.

Advertisement