Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbiting 2016

• 08-06-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering whether anyone can give me any information about traditional rabbit hunting (where you put ferrets down the burrows and lay nets).
    Can you use any ferret or do they have to be specifically trained for this? What type of dog would you need, if any? Anything else that might be required?
    Any information or help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

Most ferrets will do the job but I only use ferrets bred from proven stock . I always have a lurcher or two when out ferreting and a locating collar is a must !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

borrisboy wrote: »
    Most ferrets will do the job but I only use ferrets bred from proven stock . I always have a lurcher or two when out ferreting and a locating collar is a must !

Thanks, I'll have a look into it. Where can I buy the nets/locating collar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

rsole1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, found the article really useful. Are there any ferreting clubs that you know of in the dublin area? Do ferreting clubs even exist? Thanks once again

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

Birr Game Fair is a good place to buy nets. Purse nets for the ground burrows and stop nets for the ditches . Plenty of ferret finders on Ebay ! Get the mark 3M ,a fantastic piece of kit !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

When your getting a ferret, make sure to buy young, and handle every day. Also, make sure to buy/make a SUITABLE hutch well in advance.

Eddie B wrote: »
    When your getting a ferret, make sure to buy young, and handle every day. Also, make sure to buy/make a SUITABLE hutch well in advance.

I have a hutch already, just need the ferret and nets. Would a ferret from a pet store be ideal or would I need to buy somewhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

mate of mine has his 2 bucks trained to come out of the burrows when he calls them,no need for digging,or finders,after seeing them at work,im going to get into it myself.

sniperman wrote: »
    no need for digging,or finders

Interesting. What does he do at a stop end?

Interesting. What does he do at a stop end?

was only out with him twice,and so far im not up to par,so forgive me for asking,whats a stop end?

• Advertisement

sniperman wrote: »
    was only out with him twice,and so far im not up to par,so forgive me for asking,whats a stop end?

It's a burrow, or part of a burrow that has no exit. You could get between one to five rabbits in a stop end.

Thing is, the ferret latches onto first rabbit, then you dig down to it, and might find up to four more behind the first one.

Can be very productive, but you do need to dig.

It's a burrow, or part of a burrow that has no exit. You could get between one to five rabbits in a stop end.

Thing is, the ferret latches onto first rabbit, then you dig down to it, and might find up to four more behind the first one.

Can be very productive, but you do need to dig.

oh right.well when i was out with him,we put purse nets at the burrow,and let the ferret in,heard some noise,next thing out comes the rabbit into the net,got 3 in one burrow,after about 15-20 mins,he starts calling them,and out they come,no digging,says he trained them when he got them very young,he associates the squeak calling sound with feeding times,thats why they come out i guess,gonna try it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

I did some ferreting in my time and always called them out to by squeaking but what Eddie B is saying is dead on.
    If the ferret catches a rabbit in a stop end your more than likely going to have to dig. Instinct will take over and he will stay and finish the kill and then either start eating it or believe it or not sleep beside it after feeding. In most cases you don't have to dig far just a couple of feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Back befor the modern electronic age I used to use a collar with a bell. I had a polecat type ferret but he was a devil for 'killin-in' and then sleeping. Many an hour I spent snoozing on mountain too, waiting to hear that little bell. Digging was not an option in the super rocky grounds I worked.

I bought a ring muzzle in Watts and gave it a go for a while but I felt it was too much on the poor ferret. It was an odd contraption which went over the snout and had twin retaining pins which were sprung and had to engage behind the eye teeth.

Anyway it's a good pastime for a young chap. Lol

Advertisement