Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one from Cork going to St Angela College?

Options
  • 08-06-2016 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

My daughter is interested in doing Home Economics but it is in St Angela's College Sligo which is very far away from West Cork
    I want to find out from anyone that's going there from Cork
    How did you find the course and how long is it, how many hours?
    Is it costly?
    How often do you come home, every weekend or once a month?
    How do you travel to get there?
    Any info

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

sweetsugar wrote: »
    My daughter is interested in doing Home Economics but it is in St Angela's College Sligo which is very far away from West Cork
    I want to find out from anyone that's going there from Cork
    How did you find the course and how long is it, how many hours?
    Is it costly?
    How often do you come home, every weekend or once a month?
    How do you travel to get there?
    Any info

Thanks

I live in Sligo and would be familiar with the journey to cork. By public transport going up and down in a weekend would be difficult of there were classes on f Friday or Monday. The best option would be the train as there would be a table and it would be easier to work and study.

The train from Sligo goes to Conolly so there is a transfer to Heuston.

On a Friday leaving Sligo the journey is about 3 hours and there are trains that get into Dublin at 9:00 10:00 and every couple of hours. That would get your daughter to Cork lunchtime Friday. The last train from Dublin to Sligo leaves Dublin about 7 on a Sunday so your daughter could depart Cork early afternoon.

While I don't have experience of st Angelas, Sligo would be a safe town with all the services of a larger city.

St Angelas is a couple of miles outside Sligo and if your daughter is staying at weekends accommodation in town or near the it might be better. I understand there is a bus service to st Angelas. It might be worth contacting st Angelas student union for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

Hi dingding
    thanks for your reply but travelling by train won't work
    It could take all day to travel from Sligo to Dublin to Cork and then to West Cork, l say about 8/9hrs, it wouldn't be her worthwhile to come home!
    I say either she will have to learn how to drive a car, travel with some one or l have to take her.
    She still unsure about going to St Angela's College
    We will be reseraching more about it over the summer before she decides what she going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Hi

Going by bus would take longer, You would have to go via Galway, Limerick and Cork. There would be bus change along the way in Galway.

It looks like Sligo to Galway 2 Hr 45 Minutes
    Galway to Cork 4 Hrs 20 Min

Total 7 Hours 5 Min.

With a stop of up to an hour.

The train Sligo to Dublin 3 Hrs 10 Min With a train from 6am in the morning and every couple of hours. The first train in the morning from Sligo to Dublin gets in for 9:00.

Dublin to Cork 2 Hrs 35 Min

total 5 Hrs 45 Min and a transfer in Dublin, a bit harder with the luas out, but it should be operating by the end of July.

You would be looking at 4 Hours 15 minutes to Drive it. And would probably need to allow for roadworks, a coffee break with that distance etc.....

If I was going and not driving I would take the train as I would get some work done on the train. It might look shorter on the map to take the bus, but the train would not have as many stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

I never mention going by bus but like you said it would take too long.
    The train will take too long as well even though it takes about 7 hrs, that's only for how long it takes by train. Add in travelling from home to train station and then from sligo train station to college, roughly 2hrs. So it could take about 9 hrs altogether.
    Driving by car seems to be the easiest option, at least if she's driving or if travelling with someone, its about 5hrs. She would be going up Sun evening and then come home Fri evening/Sat morn.

Advertisement