Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay By Weight bin charges in Mayo

• 09-06-2016 8:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am wondering has anyone looked into how pay by weight waste collection is going to work in Mayo ?
    It appears from reading other post in other locations around the country that waste operators are using this new system to rip off customers.
    Any know how the waste operators that serve Mayo are implementing this ?
    Who is the cheapest ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

the children will have massive bonfires from now on.... like of biblical scale... towers of babel... so much for the environment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

the children will have massive bonfires from now on.... like of biblical scale... towers of babel... so much for the environment...

When's bonfire night. It's usually around the end of the leaving cert and I've a lot of trees and bushes cut. Not just the children who'll have big bonfires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dudda wrote: »
    When's bonfire night. It's usually around the end of the leaving cert and I've a lot of trees and bushes cut. Not just the children who'll have big bonfires.

St.John's Night, 23rd June. Must get collecting myself:D.

Back on topic, I have heard SFA about the charges in Mayo. All the info I have is what one of the workmen in Derrinumeragh told my better half, and that was that Barna Waste will operate that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Haven't heard anything either. I suppose like typical Irish fashion it will be the week before. Will it also effect the large skips you rent or is it just household waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I heard a spokeswoman for Mayo CoCo on Midwest radio a good few months ago on Tommy Marren show going through it at the time. Would have been before the general election, etc.

I pay our bin charges in 2 x 6 months tranches (Ballinrobe Waste). They seem to have included some allowance in terms of kilos weight in the 6 month charges from July to December.

Obviously green bin per weight charges have been dropped by new government. With Ballinrobe Waste we have green + black (no brown bin).
    I seem to recall national RTE news saying it would be 11c per black bin.
    I have no idea what an average black bin (standard size rather than skinny ones) weighs when laden with average 2 weeks of household waste.
    One thing I will need to look into is disposal of ashes from the stove which we use in the colder months. They would certainly weigh down a black bin and I am sure they can be used in the soil around our beech hedges, etc and will do more good than harm ( assuming they are cooled !)

No idea how the billing is going to work for any excess above standard allowances , etc ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Heggs82

The cost will be a lot closer to 22 cent per kg for a black bin, 15 cent for brown and some companies will still charge a kg price for recycling, the ones that dont will include it in their service charge.A full black bin weights about 42kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

All I say is the cost better be transparent, otherwise me no pay !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

6541 wrote: »
    All I say is the cost better be transparent, otherwise me no pay !

I already pay by weight. I buy an allowance and get a refund if I don't use the allowance. I pay a service charge for the green bin but not by weight for that. Costs me about 250 for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

ifconfig wrote: »
    I heard a spokeswoman for Mayo CoCo on Midwest radio a good few months ago on Tommy Marren show going through it at the time. Would have been before the general election, etc.

I pay our bin charges in 2 x 6 months tranches (Ballinrobe Waste). They seem to have included some allowance in terms of kilos weight in the 6 month charges from July to December.

Obviously green bin per weight charges have been dropped by new government. With Ballinrobe Waste we have green + black (no brown bin).
    I seem to recall national RTE news saying it would be 11c per black bin.
    I have no idea what an average black bin (standard size rather than skinny ones) weighs when laden with average 2 weeks of household waste.
    One thing I will need to look into is disposal of ashes from the stove which we use in the colder months. They would certainly weigh down a black bin and I am sure they can be used in the soil around our beech hedges, etc and will do more good than harm ( assuming they are cooled !)

No idea how the billing is going to work for any excess above standard allowances , etc ....

Probably this interview?

https://soundcloud.com/swinfordtidytowns/pay-by-weight-midwest-17th-may-2016

Our refuse collector company invoiced for 175Euro for July-December including service charge and 35kg allowance.
    Is that 35kg per 6 months ??? or 35 kg per collected bin and pay the difference above that at an X cent per kg charge ?

I find the company I deal with very decent in terms of Q&A on the phone so I will call next week but what's the general assumption here ? Makes sense that a full black bin would be 40+kg

-ifc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Okay McGraths are as follows:

176 Euro charge for six months. Of that 110 Euro is service charge. 66 Euro is waste charge.
    It is then priced at 22 cent per KG. So they give you an allowance of 300 kg.
    So that is a total of 300 *22 = 66

If you exceed this you will then get invoiced at the end of the year.
    Does anyone else have any alternative companies or ways of managing waste ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Nothing yet from Loftus in North Mayo and nothing on their website. I am interested in how they determine the bin weight and where that is recorded. I would want a written record each collection.

TT

6541 wrote: »
    Okay McGraths are as follows:

176 Euro charge for six months. Of that 110 Euro is service charge. 66 Euro is waste charge.
    It is then priced at 22 cent per KG. So they give you an allowance of 300 kg.
    So that is a total of 300 *22 = 66

If you exceed this you will then get invoiced at the end of the year.
    Does anyone else have any alternative companies or ways of managing waste ?
    I'm with barns waste. I must ring them and ask them. At the moment I pay €360 for the year flat charge. We share the bins with our 2 neighbours so it's a third each. I reckon that will have to stop that because we probably have most of the heavy waste due to nappies. I'd say the black bin would practically empty without nappies. All our food waste goes to hens, pigs and dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

TopTec wrote: »
    Nothing yet from Loftus in North Mayo and nothing on their website. I am interested in how they determine the bin weight and where that is recorded. I would want a written record each collection.

TT

The truck weighs the bin and rubbish at pick up. I assume that the weight equipment is calibrated by weights and measures like petrol pumps and scales in shops. Can't see you getting a written print out of your waste. The label on the bin has a bar code which I assume is how it knows which account to assign the rubbish too.

You might be able to request a list of the bin weight lifted every 6 months.

I checked with my provider (Ballinrobe Waste).
    The standing charge for July-December inclusive (6months) is unchanged at 175Euro and includes an allowance of 300kg or thereabouts for 6 months of household waste.

From what I was told that would be about average for most households for their black bin.
    I called them late in the evening and I forgot to ask the per kg charge on any excesses but I was more or less assured that the allowance covered an average household waste usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

Barna have advised me as follows:

Yes pay by weight will be intorduced from the first of July, you should receive a letter on this in the coming days. The charges as follows:
    17 per month in service charges
    0.22 per kilo on general waste
     No charge on Recycling
    0.12 per kilo on compost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

ifconfig wrote: »
    I checked with my provider (Ballinrobe Waste).
    The standing charge for July-December inclusive (6months) is unchanged at 175Euro and includes an allowance of 300kg or thereabouts for 6 months of household waste.

From what I was told that would be about average for most households for their black bin.
    I called them late in the evening and I forgot to ask the per kg charge on any excesses but I was more or less assured that the allowance covered an average household waste usage.

Ballinrobe waste are 22c per kg. They told me it was 330Kg allowance for the last 6 months of the year. 13 bin lifts left after June this year. 330/13 = 25Kg allowance per collection. If it's any odds, I'm paying by DD. I was told my most recent bins were under the 25Kg per lift, so should not have to pay more this year.

I did hear that Wers for someone (who pays 6 months upfront to be in credit) are now 18c per Kg and €18.50 per month. So each lift and weigh are taken from your upfront credit but then you will be billed more if you exceed the weight or be in credit for the next year if under (unlikely). If you pay by DD there is no credit to eat into and they just bill monthly for lift + weight from the last month. But thinking about it this upfront payment sounds kinda slightly wrong. You'd use the credit up easily before the 6 months.... Anyhow I am hearing it 2nd hand.

So comparing Wers and BW based on a 25Kg bin you get about the same.

Wers cost is
    18.50 * 6 months = 111 upfront cost
    13 lifts * (22c * 25Kg) = 71.50
    Total 182.50

But obviously if your bin weights less, Wers are cheaper for the rest of the year than Ballinrobe Waste.

My guess is next year there will be no allowance with BW at all (it was only for the remainder of the yr) and it all done by price per lift and weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

So what happens now to people paying by weight to get rid of there rubbish?
    As my company bourke waste is a member for the iwma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Does anyone know if holiday home bins will also be affected by those new "pay by weight" rules?
    If so - how would that work, considering at the moment it works with token purchased and attached to bins when collection is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

MBSnr wrote: »
    Ballinrobe waste are 22c per kg. They told me it was 330Kg allowance for the last 6 months of the year. 13 bin lifts left after June this year. 330/13 = 25Kg allowance per collection. If it's any odds, I'm paying by DD. I was told my most recent bins were under the 25Kg per lift, so should not have to pay more this year.

I did hear that Wers for someone (who pays 6 months upfront to be in credit) are now 18c per Kg and €18.50 per month. So each lift and weigh are taken from your upfront credit but then you will be billed more if you exceed the weight or be in credit for the next year if under (unlikely). If you pay by DD there is no credit to eat into and they just bill monthly for lift + weight from the last month. But thinking about it this upfront payment sounds kinda slightly wrong. You'd use the credit up easily before the 6 months.... Anyhow I am hearing it 2nd hand.

So comparing Wers and BW based on a 25Kg bin you get about the same.

Wers cost is
    18.50 * 6 months = 111 upfront cost
    13 lifts * (22c * 25Kg) = 71.50
    Total 182.50

But obviously if your bin weights less, Wers are cheaper for the rest of the year than Ballinrobe Waste.

My guess is next year there will be no allowance with BW at all (it was only for the remainder of the yr) and it all done by price per lift and weight.

I know this has been kicked down the road, but, I'm with Ballinrobe Waste. I have two kids in nappies. My black bin comes in at 70-80kg every two weeks. We recycle glass, paper, plastic the lot.

so I'm looking at charges of €157.30 on top of the €175 for 6 months, so €664.60 a year form €350, a 190% increase.

The system is a joke. "per bin" = "per household", so it hits people with young children the most, you know those people who are providing the tax-payers of the future to cover all our pensions and have to fork out already for the highest childcare costs in Europe, health (we have no NHS type system), school fees, books, uniforms, clothes and shoes that need replacing / updating several times a year....etc...

So currently under our neoliberal system, we have had water charges that meant a billionaire in Ailesbury Road D4 with an indoor swimming pool paid less than a family in Ballymun,(before asking I'm on a community scheme for water and glad of it, I happily pay knowing it wont fall into Nestle's hands) and now waste charges that also mean that same billionaire gets a 25-30kg allowance to himself every fortnight where as a family of 5 say, get 5-6kg allowance every fortnight.

Polluter pays?

yea right!

more engineered wealth-extraction and hover-up economics.... but keep drinking the koolaid sheeple!

Now think of all the money that takes from people, out of the real economy (giving it to a cartel is taking it out, our waste companies are notorious in this country for profit-seeking at the expense of workers and customers, so forget the myth of trickle-down economics)... multiply that by 10 to get the real picture as banks operate under fractional-reserve systems (for every 100 you have in your account they can lend 1000)... then consider how many local salaries that money could have supported.... then think how many of our Mayo kids are destined for Australia!

Pretend you don't understand basic economics, like Enda assumes, and keep voting the same crews in and expect something different! Shur, he's a great lad altogether! fixed the potholes and all!.... just cost us ever seeing our grandchildren!

there's a lot of apologetic nonsense in this thread about "generous" allowances.... I take it none of you ever lifted weight? That 2L of milk you buy weighs 2kg, so 2&1/2 of them is your limit of waste every fortnight, or just over one a week if there's 5 in your family (not unusual). a little over two 1kg bags of sugar a week!!!
    if you think that's feasible, do like the commitments in that film, form a circle, turn to your right and instead of the pat on the back give each other a kick in the hole!

as I said my bin is full of nappies and 70-80kg, I put up with a lot of sh1t! ;-) but I'll do anything for my kids. The sh1t I'm getting real tired of is our abstract local and central governments stealing money from my pockets and so figuratively out of my children's mouths. As we have outsourced and privatized almost everything, and my taxes are going towards banks instead of hospitals and schools, we have to pay for everything, college "fees" are gone since the '90's but when I studied Architecture the full fee was €1800 a year, now "charges" are a minimum of €1500, so I guess free university is a myth. Guess I should save for that eh? for the 3 lads... as a responsible parent and all? See, there are lots of reasons we the people don't need these constant extra charges extracted by our free-loading politicians and rent-seeking opportunists milking the corruption of EU regulations!

I look at this Mayo forum... and there's palpable desperation: unemployment, emigration, etc... all economic issues, all hinge on the "lack of investment", well, we the people of Mayo "invest" everyday in our county, through engaging in the real economy, and these assholes keep chipping away at it, keep condemning our children to exile abroad because of it.

This bin-charge bollix is just more of the same, and they actually think they are being cute, but they steal from their own kids too! they diminish their world of experience, they banish their children's pals. Maybe the cute hoars will hoard enough dosh to keep their own tribe here, and what's here for them when everyone else is gone? Mail-order brides?.... Myopic neoliberalism.... "Because I'm worth it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody know what the story with Sweeney Recycling Company?

Advertisement