Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New road surfacing in Knocknacarra.

Options
  • 09-06-2016 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

has anyone else seen the new road surfacing in knocknacarra? I can't believe how shoddy a job it is. I don't know who is doing the job but it's awful. I don't know how the head city engineer could sign off the job in it's current state.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I agree! I drove through on Tuesday evening and we laughed all the way down the Western Distributor. Its so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Haven't seen it but will be out there later.

Not to derail the thread but If its like the surfacing on the community centre road in oranmore its a disgrace. Thought it was a temporary surface but saw the crew raising manhole covers on Tuesday so it's probably not. Their traffic management was well below standard. They just left cones out on the road on the manholes and fceked off while the mastic set. No advance warning signs. No markings on the vans either. Will email the council later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Agree, it's rougher than before. Smacks of a past backhanders having secured a contract before the bust to resurface a road that doesn't need it every 2 years. Every time they make it worse. Meanwhile the surface of the bike path hasn't been redone in years and all the new works have taken their toll. Even a drunk would be embarrassed at the weaving line between the new road and the bike path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Its an utter disgrace, road surface is worse than before and the state the bike lane is left in is shocking.

Incompetence of the highest order from the council once again. The whole things snacks of spending budget for the sake of doing so. Contractor shouldn't be let near another galway road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Any pics folks? If they havent resurfaced the bike lane (again) then that sounds pretty poor. Assuming they have left a lip between bike lane and other lane?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Any pics folks? If they havent resurfaced the bike lane (again) then that sounds pretty poor. Assuming they have left a lip between bike lane and other lane?
    The new tarmac is overspilling haphazardly onto the fainted red bike lane and blobs of tarmac littering the bike lane making for a bumpy uneven ride. The bike lane has not been touched since it was created. There are no markings left at all on the road surfaces.

snubbleste wrote: »
    The new tarmac is overspilling haphazardly onto the fainted red bike lane and blobs of tarmac littering the bike lane making for a bumpy uneven ride. The bike lane has not been touched since it was created. There are no markings left at all on the road surfaces.

Ah I get it. So another public show of appreciation from the City Council towards the cyclists of Galway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ah I get it. So another public show of appreciation from the City Council towards the cyclists of Galway?
    Well also the motorists - it really is a bad surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Thought was just my old car shuddering going around roundabout.

Road surface very poor.

Cycling in alot of bike lanes is asking for punctures, could the main ones be swept every so often, as the cars kick up all crap into bike lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Saw it during the week. It's shti. Anyone know why it's being done? Excess tar they have to use up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Has anyone actually been in touch with the Council about the state of the works?

Has anyone actually been in touch with the Council about the state of the works?

Sent them an email. Also county council about Oranmore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Can I rewrite your quote on the Eyre Square revamp (below)...

"I totally agree that the massive cost over-run should never have been allowed to happen. But given that it did, there's not much point harping on about that now: it doesn't fix the problem, or pay the debt."

as....

"I totally agree that the <poor road re-surfacing> should never have been allowed to happen. But given that it did, there's not much point harping on about that now: it doesn't fix the problem, or pay the debt"

??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Can I rewrite your quote on the Eyre Square revamp (below)...

"I totally agree that the massive cost over-run should never have been allowed to happen. But given that it did, there's not much point harping on about that now: it doesn't fix the problem, or pay the debt."

as....

"I totally agree that the <poor road re-surfacing> should never have been allowed to happen. But given that it did, there's not much point harping on about that now: it doesn't fix the problem, or pay the debt"

??

There is a big difference. The cheque for the road resurfacing is not cashed yet.

There is a big difference. The cheque for the road resurfacing is not cashed yet.

Cheque to whom? Required rework will mean wasted man hours and materials for the council and taxpayers.

Cheque to whom? Required rework will mean wasted man hours and materials for the council and taxpayers.

Can you really not see the difference between a project which is current and one which was completed ten years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I drive it many times every day and the resurfacing in progress is an appalling effort to say the least.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I'm sure there are minimum standards of quality mentioned in the contract and contractor is responsible for meeting these.

Are you actually arguing that the council should do nothing and accept this, or is it just your human nature to disagree with everyone?

Or maybe you want to complain about it in 15 years time instead?

Most contracts are fixed price contracts there will be NO EXTRA COST TO THE TAXPAYER.

Most contracts are fixed price contracts there will be NO EXTRA COST TO THE TAXPAYER.

No need to get angry - this is a discussion forum right?
    How do you know this is a fixed price 3rd party contract?

• Advertisement

Can you really not see the difference between a project which is current and one which was completed ten years ago?

Ok now we are getting somewhere. You said re the Eyre Sq revamp disaster (both monetary and final product):
    What is the statute of limitations for criticising council waste? What time period do people have before you attack people for "harping" on about waste?
    1 month, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

The contractors vans are marked CHM Ltd

CHM Group
    Ballymount Road Lower,
    Walkinstown,
    Dublin 12

No need to get angry - this is a discussion forum right?
    How do you know this is a fixed price 3rd party contract?

I'm not one bit angry. You posted a statement of fact that was completely without foundation and are now using a passive aggressive behavior to hide that fact you were pulled up on the incorrect information.

I'm not one bit angry. You posted a statement of fact that was completely without foundation and are now using a passive aggressive behavior to hide that fact you were pulled up on the incorrect information.

Woah there? Passive aggressive?

What fact?

My point all along is that is perfectly acceptable to criticise our shoddy council for poor work.
    All council criticism seems to be shut down here immediately and I don't know why.

I'm sure there are minimum standards of quality mentioned in the contract and contractor is responsible for meeting these.

Are you actually arguing that the council should do nothing and accept this, or is it just your human nature to disagree with everyone?

Or maybe you want to complain about it in 15 years time instead?

There is a difference between the concepts of poor standard and required standard.

Works carried out to the "required" standard as set out in the applicable contract may still be seen as very poor by other observers.

buzz11 wrote: »
    The contractors vans are marked CHM Ltd

CHM Group
    Ballymount Road Lower,
    Walkinstown,
    Dublin 12

As far as I am aware, CHM will only do traffic management. Could be wrong but don't think they do slurry seal overlays

What is the statute of limitations for criticising council waste? What time period do people have before you attack people for "harping" on about waste?
    1 month, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years?

Realistically, probably 2-3 years: within that time-frame, current people and processes are likely to have been involved. When you go back as far as 10 years (actually more, because the contracting problems which caused the issue stem from 2004 and earlier), too much has changed.

If you are feeling "attacked" because someone expresses an opinion which is different from yours, then you really need to get out more.

I'm quite happy to criticise the council where it's warranted. And there are plenty of cases where it is. But I don't subscribe to an ideological belief that everything government workers do is automatically wrong. I'm well aware that the commercial sector is equally prone to cost-over runs and the like, and that local and central government are subject to funding and contracting restrains that the private sector aren't.

PS Earlier, someone asked if the council pay me to stick up for them. Ahh, no. I make a little out of their incompetence (running public transport website: said they were making one in 2009, and didn't - I did make one). What I make covers the domain registration and some of my time, but not all of it. With the skills I learned, I run some other websites. They make quite a bit more money. Even so, I still need a day job for the forseeable future.

If you are feeling "attacked" because someone expresses an opinion which is different from yours, then you really need to get out more.

Hmmm. And I am considered passive aggressive! :) It was WhereisGalway you "attacked" in the Eyre Sq thread where you were all over the place and looking for an easy out. I defended him and pointed out that your response was arrogant and naive (I can provide the post if you like). Anyway my point is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bumble and Moo Moo - don't post in this thread before Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 thefonz

I agree that it's poor quality. I suggest we raise our concerns with our Galway West representatives on the council or directly to the council.

(I cant post links and emails due to new user restrictions but the contact details are easily found on the galwaycity dot ie/your-council/council-mayor-information#6 web.)

Advertisement