Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New road surfacing in Knocknacarra.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Got a response regarding Oranmore. My comments were "noted" by the Area engineer. In all fairness to the council, they responded very quickly.

Nothing back from city council though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I wish they'd do this resurfacing on a road that actually needs it. Drove from Gort to Galway last night and the road wear was horrendous. So many deeply worn tracks that turned into strips of water that splashed up above my roof when I hit them. So I had to stay towards the centreline.

When we got to Galway the Dublin road wasn't much better. Very bumpy and puddles everywhere. Compare that to the western distributor which was in great nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Although it may be private property, if you drove straight from the garage pumps at the Pillo Hotel (is it?) up to Dunnes Stores car Park, you would need great suspension. It is need of massive repair. It's as if it has been bombed. The sad thing is that it has been like that for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Same road slurry resurfacing has been installed on the Ballybrit Business Park Road (road outside the NDLS / Supermacs Depot) yesterda. Think this is a Private Rd. Its is a cheap and a dirty road surfacing "solution".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Drove on the Western Distributor this evening for the first time in ages.

Surely it isn't the final road surface?? It's insanely bad.

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Drove on the Western Distributor this evening for the first time in ages.

Surely it isn't the final road surface?? It's insanely bad.

Afraid so - it will be worn out in about 2 years and they will have to do it all over again. Check out McHugh Avenue in Mervue. Not a heavily trafficed street anymore and this road slurry resurfacing job is in bits after just 3 years. It turns into gravel and grit.
    First time I have seen them do this on heavily trafficed roads in the City. It is a waste of money and benefits knowbody. Dmages car's with the chips and tar, bumpy and dirty surface for cyclists, create's trip hazards for pedestrians as the surface is bumpy. This road surface slurry is really sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Same road slurry resurfacing has been installed on the Ballybrit Business Park Road (road outside the NDLS / Supermacs Depot) yesterda. Think this is a Private Rd. Its is a cheap and a dirty road surfacing "solution".

Don't think it's a private road, but not sure either.

I assumed it was only some sort of base layer and the job wasn't finished. Couldn't believe today when I saw it was lined.

The new tar doesn't even reach the side of the road where cars were parked that day. Unbelievably amateurish stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

mass apathy throughout the city, county and nationally only encourages these types of wasteful practices and we really only have ourselves to blame, even if we're too busy to pipe up and make a stand to demand our road be returned to the decent quality road it was 2 or 3 weeks ago before all this messing began!

it really is beyond belief that a company can come along with the city councils permission and make $hite of a perfectly good public road which in my mind is now very dangerous due to the uneven surface and general looseness of the tar and gravel/stones in the mix, especially now it's raining.

If we hired a certain ethnic minority group they'd have done a far better job on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I don't see mass apathy. I'm sure lots of people have been onto the council and local councillors. I read an article in the advertiser in relation to it by a local councillor. It nearly read word for word of the complaint I sent in. A few boardies pm'd confirmed they too were contacting both councils and councillors. What more can one do?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

The new surface is basically the same surface that was laid the last time a few years ago, it takes a bit of time to bed down. It is a less expensive alternative to a full resurfacing, presumably there isn't a sufficient budget available to do much else. It's to address a problem with grip as the previous surface was starting to wear away, exposing the original surface (witness the two centrelines evident between Gort na Bro and the Seamus Quirke/Bishop O'Donnell Road. The first surface constructed for the road when new was poorly specified or a poor material was used and quickly developed a serious grip problem. The boy racers loved drifting around the roundabouts and more innocent civilians often had spinouts. That stopped pretty quickly when the new surface was installed, imperfect as it may seem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    The new surface is basically the same surface that was laid the last time a few years ago, it takes a bit of time to bed down. It is a less expensive alternative to a full resurfacing, presumably there isn't a sufficient budget available to do much else. It's to address a problem with grip as the previous surface was starting to wear away, exposing the original surface (witness the two centrelines evident between Gort na Bro and the Seamus Quirke/Bishop O'Donnell Road. The first surface constructed for the road when new was poorly specified or a poor material was used and quickly developed a serious grip problem. The boy racers loved drifting around the roundabouts and more innocent civilians often had spinouts. That stopped pretty quickly when the new surface was installed, imperfect as it may seem.

As I recall the WDR was not all built by the council. Some parts were built by various developers as a condition of the planning permission* for various housing estates.

* its not clear that all of the WDR had planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

As I recall the WDR was not all built by the council. Some parts were built by various developers as a condition of the planning permission* for various housing estates.

* its not clear that all of the WDR had planning permission

Most of it was constructed and/or reconstructed by the corpo/DOE/EU. The stupid scheme signs are still there for all to see nearly 20 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just drove down the Sean Mulvoy Road towards the shopping centre and they have put down the same tarmac in the centre of the road ,its just put down on the existing road and as you drive on it there are stones flying in all directions. It seems to be coming off the road as the traffic drive on it, its a terrible surface, who in Gods name passed this kind of road surface for the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Drove over it yesterday, great for keeping the speed down...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    Most of it was constructed and/or reconstructed by the corpo/DOE/EU. The stupid scheme signs are still there for all to see nearly 20 years later.

I was going to enquire the legal length of time the council must maintain the corpo/DOE/EU signs for. Anyone know as over 20 years is daft and an eyesore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Seems to have improved a bit.
    Bike path is still woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If you could get your hands on one of these it would be grand.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

snubbleste wrote: »
    Seems to have improved a bit.
    Bike path is still woeful

It's settled a bit on the straight sections, still terrible on the roundabouts though if going around the inside, especially on the Blake roundabout at Ballymoneen Rd.

Uneven surface most visible after a rain shower as you can see the little pools of water.

Still a terrible resurfacing job overall.

I think it'll never settle. It'll carry on moving until there are big troughs, mounds and pot holes and will have to be redone. i'll give it one winter.

Still looks like there's no full explanation from the authorities on this one.

• Advertisement

topcat77 wrote: »
    I think it'll never settle. It'll carry on moving until there are big troughs, mounds and pot holes and will have to be redone. i'll give it one winter.

Still looks like there's no full explanation from the authorities on this one.
    You are right. If you want to see what the end result will look like- McHugh Av(Mervue) got this treatment 3/4 years ago- it's in bits now. It has nothing like Vehicle Traffic that Western Distriutor Road has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

It was a top dressing done on very warm weather, the camber on the Ballymooneen road roundabout is a difficult one to solve, it puts a lot of downward but sideways pressure on the road so a simple top dressing was always going to go.

I don't work in tarmacadam but otherwise the job seemed a rushed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Truck laying cones tonight at clybaun hotel roundabout. Looks as if they were being laid out for some activity tomorrow morning.

Think it's for landscaping

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Council vans and blokes in high-vis inspecting the road on western distributor this lunch time.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Council vans and blokes in high-vis inspecting the road on western distributor this lunch time.
    Was the road melting in the heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

topcat77 wrote: »
    Think it's for landscaping

Yep, they trimmed back the overgrown hedges on the roundabouts. They were getting very bad so glad to see them sorted.

Drove along this road this morning, for the first time in as couple of weeks. Definitely seems better than I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I drive up the Ballymoneen Rd and still think the Blake roundabout in particular is rough.

Whatever "settling" may have occurred the rough edge and crap in the cycle lanes is inexcusable. They were they one thing that was actually in need of resurfacing.

• Advertisement

Any opinions on the newly installed speed bumps on WDR?

Advertisement