Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New road surfacing in Knocknacarra.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

They're okay, clearly between them and the speed signs they're trying to slow down drivers bombing it at 50mph. Thankfully they're flat enough you don't need to crawl over them and it makes pedestrians more visible. Wondering if they'll put one on the exit going down Ballymoneen Rd where some people really fly it downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

I wonder how it has taken them since August to complete. 3 months for a few bumps is a long time.
    They need more half way along each road section. Seeing cars doing 75km plus on the speed cameras is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Are they clearly visible? I thought they looked a bit dark. I haven't travelled along there for a while. Can't recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

They need a few now on the main Knocknacarra and Kingston Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

They have started to put white stripes across some of those bumps now too, similar to Zebra crossings. Is it a legal requirement now for motorists to stop at these to allow pedestrians to cross?

Electrical cables were also laid during the initial remedial work at all those crossing points, will their eventually be lighting of some sort there too?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They have started to put white stripes across some of those bumps now too, similar to Zebra crossings. Is it a legal requirement now for motorists to stop at these to allow pedestrians to cross?

Electrical cables were also laid during the initial remedial work at all those crossing points, will their eventually be lighting of some sort there too?

As far as I'm aware, if the bump just has white triangles on it, it's not meant as a pedestrian crossing. (However, I wouldn't deliberately obscure a pedestrian from crossing there if they wish.)

flazio wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, if the bump just has white triangles on it, it's not meant as a pedestrian crossing. (However, I wouldn't deliberately obscure a pedestrian from crossing there if they wish.)

Nor would I.

I wasn't referring to the white triangles, I was asking about the thick white stripes on the crossing surface of the bumps.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Nor would I.
    I wasn't referring to the white triangles, I was asking about the thick white stripes on the crossing surface of the bumps.
    They are not pedestrian crossings.

Councillors call for action on substandard roadworks at Western Distributor Road.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/councillors-call-action-substandard-roadworks-western-distributor-road/

snubbleste wrote: »
    They are not pedestrian crossings.

Feckin know it all. I was typing a response and said feck it I'll walk over and take a picture.

JrO7q09m.jpg
    Original size

So yes they are. The curb dips down to meet the crossing. They've cut in tile in the footpath on either side of the ramp. This tile path extends through the island (if present).

They're out there now still painting them. As for stopping, yes I think you should. Regardless of the law, they're outside in the weather while you're in a heated car listening to the radio. That said, it is a common sight in Galway to see people jaywalk even when they're within 5 meters of a proper crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Feckin know it all. I was typing a response and said feck it I'll walk over and take a picture.

JrO7q09m.jpg
    Original size

So yes they are. The curb dips down to meet the crossing. They've cut in tile in the footpath on either side of the ramp. This tile path extends through the island (if present).

They're out there now still painting them. As for stopping, yes I think you should. Regardless of the law, they're outside in the weather while you're in a heated car listening to the radio. That said, it is a common sight in Galway to see people jaywalk even when they're within 5 meters of a proper crossing.

Are the Zebra Lights installed as well?

Where's the bike path in those photos?
    And how are they pedestrian crossings if they are not created and finished yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Where's the bike path in those photos?
    And how are they pedestrian crossings if they are not created and finished yet?

They are very clearly pedestrian crossings, I'd like to see how that argument would hold up in court if there was an accident.

Not sure why you seem to hop from thread to thread nitpicking.

.. I'd like to see how that argument would hold up in court if there was an accident.
    Section 38 of S.I. No. 331 of 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Fair enough, I still think it's recognisable as a pedestrian crossing without the beacons and there'd still be an issue if someone was hit crossing there

Fair enough, I still think it's recognisable as a pedestrian crossing without the beacons and there'd still be an issue if someone was hit crossing there
    There'd be an issue is someone was hit anywhere.

So they do not have the flashing amber lights with black and white poles on either side of the crossing?

So they do not have the flashing amber lights with black and white poles on either side of the crossing?

Yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

they spent 2 days by the one on bothair stiofain that cuts into the back of aviva lot of drilling etc heavy machinery
    walked by there today and literally no idea as to what they actually did
    looks to me as usual as though they are spending money at the end of the year so that they dont lose it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Listen, if common sense is in contradiction to the letter of the law, then I choose common sense every time. Pedestrian wishes to cross at a speed hump. I let the pedestrian cross.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

flazio wrote: »
    Listen, if common sense is in contradiction to the letter of the law, then I choose common sense every time. Pedestrian wishes to cross at a speed hump. I let the pedestrian cross.

Depends if they've a glisten in there eye ðŸ˜

Poles and fixtures erected at some of the pedestrian crossings. Flashing ambers still not flashing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

they spent 2 days by the one on bothair stiofain that cuts into the back of aviva lot of drilling etc heavy machinery
    walked by there today and literally no idea as to what they actually did
    looks to me as usual as though they are spending money at the end of the year so that they dont lose it

Nah, it's the same project they've been picking at since the summer.

What is amazing is their ability to spend to spend 8 months (and counting) doing 1 months work, to an incredibly low standard. It'll probably take all 50 of them another year to complete it to an equally low standard. Then another year for the ESB to connect the beacons. That's our tax euros not hard at work.

I'm all for making it safer for pedestrians to cross busy roads.

A few observations though while driving that route multiple times daily.

1,) Some pedestrians just bolt across without any warning ever since the white and black Zebra lines went in. Others make it obvious by their demeanor that they wish to cross and that is a much safer way to use those crossings.

2.) When the beacons are up and running, making it official that one should stop to allow people to cross, I predict there will be many vehicles rear ended at some of those crossings, they are simply too close to the roundabout entries and exits to be safe for vehicles suddenly\unsuspectingly stopping.

Yeah, I always think that when I see crossings and roundabouts mixed together. As a driver there can be so many things going on just with the cars on the road and throw in a bit of weather there's already enough to deal with. Pedestrian crossings at light controlled junctions make sense. However roundabouts where you can't see the pedestrian until you're right on top of them do not. They could have put those crossings smack in the middle of each of the roundabouts along the western distributor to allow clearer crossings and generally slowed traffic speeding up after a roundabout.

I think between the speed signs angrily flashing at us for the past year and now the official ramps/crossings the message is clear: slow down from 50kph which most were still unable to manage to a much slower residential speed of 25-35kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yeah, I always think that when I see crossings and roundabouts mixed together. As a driver there can be so many things going on just with the cars on the road and throw in a bit of weather there's already enough to deal with. Pedestrian crossings at light controlled junctions make sense. However roundabouts where you can't see the pedestrian until you're right on top of them do not. They could have put those crossings smack in the middle of each of the roundabouts along the western distributor to allow clearer crossings and generally slowed traffic speeding up after a roundabout.

I think between the speed signs angrily flashing at us for the past year and now the official ramps/crossings the message is clear: slow down from 50kph which most were still unable to manage to a much slower residential speed of 25-35kph.

Totally agree & throw in the unpredictable behaviour & failure to signal of motorists with the ignorance of pedestrians on using a zebra crossing. Coming off a roundabout is when your concentration drops. I won't be surprised if there is an accident & the crossings are replaced with pedestrian lights.

They are only "angry" at you if your breaking the speed limit. Not sure how useful those signs are to be honest in changing behaviours, I think the signs telling ones speed are more useful. Anyhow Council has stats database for each of these variable speed signs dotted around the City. By all accounts the stats makes a mockery of Garda Traffic speeding figures in the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

They are only "angry" at you if your breaking the speed limit. Not sure how useful those signs are to be honest in changing behaviours, I think the signs telling ones speed are more useful. Anyhow Council has stats database for each of these variable speed signs dotted around the City. By all accounts the stats makes a mockery of Garda Traffic speeding figures in the City.

No they aren't. They flash and tell you you are too fast even when you are doing 50.

Really? How do you think pedestrians crossed at roundabouts for decades? It's at the whim of the driver flying off the roundabout whether to let someone cross. These almost complete crossings give some pedestrians some level of equality

• Advertisement

Nah, I mean the ones that flash at you even when you are going under the limit.

I think the crossings will do more to slow people down than the signs. Either way, that road is still too fast to trust it's safe for my kids ride their bike to school.

Advertisement