Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New road surfacing in Knocknacarra.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

These radar controlled speed signs are also able to record data. When you see these sign you'll tend to get some sort of traffic management system installed within a year or so.

The data recorded will act as evidence or prof that something needs to be done and if nothing is done and someone gets hurt it could be used against them.

http://trafficsolutions.ie/wind-and-solar-powered-interactive-signs/

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

living by these roundabouts i get to see a lot of their 'work'.
    to put it mildly they are the laziest shower of bastards going, every single on eof them would not last a week in private work.
    the old joke of five of them standing around watching one fella sweep/shovel what ever you like is there for all to see every day that they are actually there.and then of course there are the one who sit inside their van or jcb for the majority of the day when its actually in use for a fraction of the time.

how long has this job taken now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

i don't get the new thing of sticking a pedestrian crossing just across the road as you exit the roundabout.

Weren't roundabouts to keep a flow to traffic, now you end up stuck on the round about as people cross, surely lights are needed instead to facilitate all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

living by these roundabouts i get to see a lot of their 'work'.
    to put it mildly they are the laziest shower of bastards going, every single on eof them would not last a week in private work.
    the old joke of five of them standing around watching one fella sweep/shovel what ever you like is there for all to see every day that they are actually there.and then of course there are the one who sit inside their van or jcb for the majority of the day when its actually in use for a fraction of the time.

how long has this job taken now?

They started in August
    You would have expected completion by October.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

i don't get the new thing of sticking a pedestrian crossing just across the road as you exit the roundabout.

Weren't roundabouts to keep a flow to traffic, now you end up stuck on the round about as people cross, surely lights are needed instead to facilitate all this.

In the absence of lights, where do you think pedestrians should cross?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Perhaps a but further away from the roundabout?

They love the bloody things up here - lots of roundabouts with zebra crossings on the exits. Baffles me why they're not shifted even 50m up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

In the absence of lights, where do you think pedestrians should cross?

I dont have a problem with pedestrians crossing, but its possibly safer for the pedestrians and motorists if the crossings were at least futher back from the roundabouts, having them as they are makes motorists jam on, it puts doubt in the pedestrian that they will be seen and leaves cars on the roundabout defeating the purpose of them allowing free flow of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Not to mind cyclists with no lights at night flying over the pedestrian crossings and then both cyclist and driver slamming on the brakes at the last second.
    Happened me the other evening, didn't see him til he nearly plowed into my drivers door.

Who decided these were safe locations - there's no line of sight for the driver to see anyone on the crossing until your on top of it.
    Might be just about ok on a clear day, but on a dirty wet night with reduced visibility, they're just an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I dont have a problem with pedestrians crossing, but its possibly safer for the pedestrians and motorists if the crossings were at least futher back from the roundabouts, having them as they are makes motorists jam on, it puts doubt in the pedestrian that they will be seen and leaves cars on the roundabout defeating the purpose of them allowing free flow of traffic.

The old pedestrian crossing on the Headford rd was further down from the magic roundabout - and was notorious for drivers simply not stopping at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Has anyone else noticed the strategic placement of the black and white zebra crossings beacon pole on the left hand side of the Altan apartments crossing as you travel from Bishop O'Donnell Rd towards Knocknacarra? It's the roundabout after the B&Q one.

Exquisite engineering to say the least.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Has anyone else noticed the strategic placement of the black and white zebra crossings beacon pole on the left hand side of the Altan apartments crossing as you travel from Bishop O'Donnell Rd towards Knocknacarra? It's the roundabout after the B&Q one.

It's absolutely ridiculous. But should we expect any different. Amateur engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Worn Out wrote: »
    It's absolutely ridiculous. But should we expect any different. Amateur engineering.

It's a bit of a stretch to call that engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Are you talking about a Roundabout on the Western Distributor Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I'm guessing slap bang in the middle of the cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I almost didn't see it as the lamppost was in the way ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

This is the file photograph @ the city tribune :rolleyes:
    Look at the state of it
    http://connachttribune.ie/call-road-named-memory-baby-home-victims-220/

Western-Distributor-Road.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Whatever that special coating is in the bike lane is a curse. They haven't bought more for years and years and there's big chunks out of it everywhere. Same goes for the prom which had a yellow coating of the stuff. It's especially bumpy around Grattan Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Whatever that special coating is in the bike lane is a curse. They haven't bought more for years and years and there's big chunks out of it everywhere. Same goes for the prom which had a yellow coating of the stuff. It's especially bumpy around Grattan Rd.

It's slurry seal. Absolutely terrible specification for a prom directly beside the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

they havent even got the drainage correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I see one of the zebra crossing spot lights is missing a shade near the entrance to An Logan. It was laying on the grass but the tractor has been to cut the grass so I guess it's shade gone!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement