Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say goodbye to Bradys Castleknock

Options
  • 09-06-2016 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭

Planning permission for apartments would indicate the EOTR for this place. Food has always been bullet-proof, even if has been 'bring your own atmosphere' for years. Pity. Loved eating there. So that's the 12th Lock and Bradys dead. Shame. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You mean the food in pub itself rather than one of the many guises the restaurant above went through?

I haven't been there in years, mainly because it's a pub that I always forget is there! I've often been around the village and wondered where I could go for a pint but I never remember it exists. I ran by it a couple of weeks ago and got a oh yeah, that place, must keep that in mind for the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You mean the food in pub itself rather than one of the many guises the restaurant above went through?

I haven't been there in years, mainly because it's a pub that I always forget is there! I've often been around the village and wondered where I could go for a pint but I never remember it exists. I ran by it a couple of weeks ago and got a oh yeah, that place, must keep that in mind for the next time.

the new N3 really killed it. Though to be fair, I was never a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Genuinely surprised it lasted this long, hadnt been in it since the indian restaurant at first floor level closed a few years back & even then the pub itself was empty every time we went in, we nearly always headed to the 12th lock instead.

Agree with the comment above, with both pubs essentially in a residential cul de sac they were never going to get passing trade & seeing both closed so recently it seems the location itself was the killer. Shame to see venues close in D15 as we havent got that many decent ones IMO but business is business.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wetherspoons, dealing fatal blows to pubs on the edge all over Dublin.

It is a pity though, Blanch village and surrounds could support one decent well run, good size, independent gastropub. I don't think it has any....

I'd be surprised if Wetherspoons had much bearing on Bradys or the 12th Lock, different demographics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I'd be surprised if Wetherspoons had much bearing on Bradys or the 12th Lock, different demographics?

Definitely not. Can't see Wetherspoons being an issue.

The surprise is not that Bradys is closing but that it lasted so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭dodzy

Granted its in a cul-de-sac, but for both (Bradys & 21th Lock), it was very easy access. It would have been easy for Bradys to market the pub better. A simple banner on the back wall of the pub looking onto the N3 advertising the place the N3 perimeter wall in in their back garden). When you think about it, easy access from city centre & M50 bound traffic for Navan direction. A simple turn off and back on with no laborious diversions or added mileage to take. Easiest access of any place for that traffic this side of Navan. Ample car-parking.

I just don't buy the line that the road layouts had (or needed to have) that much impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Remember the massive inflatable chef that used to be on the roof of the building? I think the pub was called Scotts then.

They definitely needed to be more visible to the masses, could be a grand spot for apartments though, such easy access on to the Navan Road and M50

Remember the massive inflatable chef that used to be on the roof of the building? I think the pub was called Scotts then.

They definitely needed to be more visible to the masses, could be a grand spot for apartments though, such easy access on to the Navan Road and M50

It was indeed, with a lovely restaurant upstairs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Their carvery used to be very good at the weekends, good for meeting friends for a good feed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

dodzy, is it actually closed or still trading.

Used to go to Scotts restaurant back in the late 80's lovely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Was there yesterday for grub - it is still open trading.

septictank wrote: »
    dodzy, is it actually closed or still trading.

Used to go to Scotts restaurant back in the late 80's lovely place.

As BH says, still open thankfully. Can't see it being this way for too long now the PP has been granted.

dodzy wrote: »
    As BH says, still open thankfully. Can't see it being this way for too long now the PP has been granted.
    Not without a battle from local residents, I believe.

I'd be surprised if the residents didn't appeal it alright. I know there's apartments down by the 12th Lock but it's out of character to put some where the pub is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

"Out of character" is classic entitled NIMBYism and is the reason rents and house prices are so ridiculously high in Dublin and forcing 10s of 1000s of people to spend several hours a day commuting from outlying counties to get to work as developments or anything higher than 2 storeys are being refused permission in Dublin.

This is a perfect site for medium density apartments (eg 4 storey) that is a stone's throw from key public transport nodes (Castleknock train station and the various buses that go through Blanch village) as well as established retail/health/educational and various other services.

As regards the closure of Bradys, I've lived in D15 about 12 years and never really noticed its existence apart from on my way to the 12th Lock. It just never seemed inviting and no one ever would have suggested it as a meet up point for drinks/food. Even though the 12th was also "out of the way", it had a well known good reputation and a "destination status" that people would drive out of their way to get to. If Brady's is still open this weekend, we might out of curiousity pop over to check it out for grub before it's demise.

It's not the reason why rents are ridiculously high or why people commute so far. There have been plenty of apartments built over the decades, people wanted their bigger houses and were willing to move outside of Dublin to do so. Not everyone on a long commute do so out of having no choice.

As for the 12th Lock being a destination, it's a pretty disappointing one at that. There's a reason why it would be relatively quiet on Friday and Saturday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

As for the 12th Lock being a destination, it's a pretty disappointing one at that. There's a reason why it would be relatively quiet on Friday and Saturday nights.

Granted, I haven't been there in a couple of years but prior to then, it was always fairly difficult to get a table for food whenever I went there and this would even be on mid week evenings as well as weekends. I'm going back a few years so maybe its the Celtic Tiger era I'm remembering.

Probably. I went sometime last year and had our pick of seats on a Saturday night, and was served out of date beer. It was a dour place when it wasn't packed on a sunny afternoon.

Out of the hand full of times I have been to the 12th lock, it was never quiet. Certainly was a nicer alternative spot with different type of clientele over some of the pubs located in the village. I hope it re-opens. Regarding the quality of grub & drink - I never hold my expectations too high for pub grub, although never had any issues there.

• Advertisement

It wasn't quiet every time I've been there, but it was the most recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

The 12th lock has been bought and is opening in about 5 weeks by the people who have de Bruns so will be well run, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Bradys has the best chicken wings in the area. Such a shame.

But I always found the bar service shockingly bad. I walked out on 2 or 3 occasions. It was quite notable that the 12th Lock regulars didn't move to Bradys.

Hopefully, when it re-opens it will bring the decent crowd back and not entice some of the clientele from Blanch village.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

dodzy wrote: »

Just to Clarify PP Has been applied for but not Granted Process is ongoing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

xl500 wrote: »
    Just to Clarify PP Has been applied for but not Granted Process is ongoing

I wonder will the same people who are objecting to the 12th Lock pub being reopened also object to Brady's being closed.

It can't make sense to oppose both projects unless you are engaged in NIMBYism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Godge wrote: »
    I wonder will the same people who are objecting to the 12th Lock pub being reopened also object to Brady's being closed.

Who's objecting to the 12th Lock reopening? All I have read are the concerns that planning requirements are being gleefully ignored... Perhaps not gleefully as warning letters have been issued to the owner, but I've yet to hear anyone say they do not want to see this site reopen. Do please quote any post that suggests otherwise?

Godge wrote: »

Find one person, never mind the plural, objecting to the reopening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Bradys got a mention on Prime Time this evening. 87 objections received, including local councillors, Joan Burton and Leo Varadkar.

Guess this one will end up at An Bord Pleanala.

There was a FOI report published last week regarding politicians and objections to new developments. Clare Daly hypocriticaly, was one of the more serial objectors. I think a few objected to Bradys for the same reasons I mentioned in this thread a while back.

Here's the story and their letters

http://www.kenfoxe.com/2016/09/clare-daly-leo-varadkar-opposed-housing-developments-because-of-impact-it-would-have-on-neighbouring-property-values/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

Funny how public representatives who are complaining about the housing crisis & high rents turn into NIMBYs when a proposed development is in their constituency.

Advertisement