Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say goodbye to Bradys Castleknock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DodoLurker

Will any of these "apartments" actually be on sale, or all build for rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dub guy wrote: »
    I have pity for the residents in the houses facing Bradys they are some of the finest houses in the area. I would say this development if it gets the green light their house values will be hit big time and if it starts to take in less desirables they could be unsellable.

Utter nonsense. Do you think this is some sort of prison being proposed?

The disposable income of the people who use these sort of medium-term serviced accommodation developments would eclipse your owners in the nearby houses many times. They tend to be under 40, professional, footloose and fond of a high standard of living. If anything, I if was a consumer focused business in the area I'd be dancing a jig.

I swear to God, the snobbery in this town will kill it. Planning law is about delivering a balance of development to suit many strands of life and to reflect the needs of the economy and society. It doesn't suddenly mean all land zoned residential is going to deliver 50,000 well decorated bedsits!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Dub guy wrote: »
    Point taking but when you get rid of a lovely landmark pub and replace it with a 5 storey building with more doors than mountjoy prison and move God knows who into it the area is less desirable.

Landmark pub? Pub was utter ****e for over 20+ years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

its a nice looking building, but was it ever that popular? Likewise the restaurants above it?
    Castleknock Inn (previous building) before it wasn't that popular either.
    I think because a lot of people pass other pubs before getting to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

daymobrew wrote: »
    The previous planning application in 2016 was for 34 x 2 bedroom and 7 x 3 bedroom units - a total of 89 bedrooms.

This new application is for a lot more people!

The downside to objecting to something is that something worse can come along.

you wont get the dregs in there, they way you would have gotten them in their "4eva" homes paid for by the taxpayer in the block of 89 apartments!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

beauf wrote: »
    its a nice looking building, but was it ever that popular? Likewise the restaurants above it?
    Castleknock Inn (previous building) before it wasn't that popular either.
    I think because a lot of people pass other pubs before getting to that one.

I remember as a kid it was called Scotts, late 80s early 90s and it had a grand piano and white leather seating, very Miami Vice. It was very popular then, but in fairness there wasn't as much competition around and it was located on the main Navan Road as the bypass was built later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I remember as a kid it was called Scotts, late 80s early 90s and it had a grand piano and white leather seating, very Miami Vice. It was very popular then, but in fairness there wasn't as much competition around and it was located on the main Navan Road as the bypass was built later on.

was that when the 38 use to pas by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dub guy

I can remember the inflatable chef and I bicycle shop those were simpler times.
    How long does planning take for a development like this and what is the process like ?

I remember it being the Castleknock Inn before they did it up to become Scotts.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Before that Twin Oaks ... owned by Donnelly family

• Advertisement

miss misty wrote: »
    Before that Twin Oaks ... owned by Donnelly family

The twin oaks that's it...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 stabaak

The twin oaks that's it...

Anybody got any photos of it when it was the Castleknock Inn or The twin oaks by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i had dinner there yesterday, when is it closing? the staff are very nice, its a shame really

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dub guy

It won't be closing for awhile I'm sure bartra has it leased to current operator when the planning is given the bulldozers will roll into town then.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

Had dinner there last week. 4 people in the place mid afternoon. And 5 staff. A shame really as the food and staff have always been top notch.

Moving on to co-living..... I’m guessing that these type of developments are not forced to provide a percentage of social units ? ( could not see that ever working)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

dodzy wrote: »
    Moving on to co-living..... I’m guessing that these type of developments are not forced to provide a percentage of social units ? ( could not see that ever working)

No, they'll all be build to rent so no quotas. As to whether the Council will look to rent some or Bartra will take HAP that's anyone's guess. The 1 bed waiting list is lengthy so it's possible they will

The Councils have no interest in these type of developments for social housing or any type of tenancy solution.

These are purely rotating lets, educational and corporate normally, itself very useful with the TUD, teaching hospital and multinationals all nearby. I for one welcome it as part of a modern accommodation mix. It won't become the norm because it isn't the norm, just part of the planning mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Confused by this quote from Cllr Currie.
    Cllr Currie said she was "shocked" the development had been been given planning approval.

"The concept of co-living is for urban locations with strong transport links and that would appeal to a mobile workforce. This location, in my opinion, is completely at odds with the vision of co-living."

The site location is on the 37, 38, 38A, 39, etc bus lines all going to the city plus the rest and walkable distance to the Castleknock train station, not sure how "at odds" the location really is with that vision.
    Each of these transport links may be overloaded/at capacity most of the time but that's a different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The site location is on the 37, 38, 38A, 39, etc bus lines all going to the city plus the rest and walkable distance to the Castleknock train station, not sure how "at odds" the location really is with that vision.
    Each of these transport links may be overloaded/at capacity most of the time but that's a different issue.

Within walking distance of Connolly Hospital and Ebay, cycling distance of TUDublin and a heap of multinationals.

To be fair, other politicians will say the same, after all there is an election coming.

https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerTD/status/1214941469498318849

Ruth will be standing by the community in further opposition. Will she lie down in front of the cement truck?

• Advertisement

Well its suburban not urban if we want to be pedantic.

There nothing wrong with the plan. Its doesn't match the reality on the ground.

Like the overcrowding. Seems to a free reign for any development these days. Almost anything goes. Pointless complaining.

To be honest anyone who wants to buy or live in co-living space will care less about how it effects anyone else. That just how these things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

It is honestly the most suitable area you could ever find for such a development:rolleyes:

M50, Blanch Village & Castleknock village in walking distance, Train Station, Multinationals, massive Gym, hospital like i am trying to think of any negative here.

For the residents nearby you would assume the development will be very quiet! Hardly going to be party central when your co-living.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I'd say a big issue with this development is that there is no car parking. I'd say it would be highly unlikely that the 210 apartments will have no cars..... I'd hate to live on this street during the building phase and then parking after will be a nightmare.

I'd go so far as to to say these facilities are extremely well managed and would be the ideal neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

jonnybravo wrote: »
    I'd say a big issue with this development is that there is no car parking. I'd say it would be highly unlikely that the 210 apartments will have no cars..... I'd hate to live on this street during the building phase and then parking after will be a nightmare.

Agreed, but that is the only problem.

It is also a short-term problem. One-day and other short-term car rentals will become more prevalent over the next few years.

This discussion will come down to.

#1 - I don't live there but it will be grand, I won't be affected either way.
    #2 - I want to live there, perfect for me, the negatives don't effect me
    #3 - I live there and it will effect me (insert some local issue that no one else gets)
    #4 - I live there and don't want it (insert rant)
    #5 - Don't live there (insert rant about NIMBYism)

Basically everyone will have their own agenda.

blanch152 wrote: »

It is also a short-term problem. One-day and other short-term car rentals will become more prevalent over the next few years.

The usual issues with these are

#1 Traffic (its been a choke point for years)
    #2 Parking (previous long standing issues with this - 12 lock etc.)
    #3 Being overlooked (devalue near by properties)
    #4 Different profile (students etc).

blanch152 wrote: »

Seems to be the new planning mantra. It will fix itself in a couple of decades.

We'll all be working from home, and teleport to work.
    Or personal transport drones. It will be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The usual issues with these are

#1 Traffic (its been a choke point for years)
    #2 Parking (previous long standing issues with this - 12 lock etc.)
    #3 Being overlooked (devalue near by properties)
    #4 Different profile (students etc).

I doubt these will be aimed at students.

They seem to be aimed at well paid professionals - many of them will be from outside of Ireland and they won't own cars.

Advertisement