Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAS Solution (continued)

2»

Comments

I wouldn't bother spending my time and money converting to H.265 but I would download as much as I could in future that is already encoded in H.265. Unless you have a collection of stuff you want to Encode from scratch but it's far easier to download it all that's in H.265 already.

Instead, I'd get something like the Nvidia Shield TV and Plex media server and convert on the fly and it's especially useful when out and about and for other devices that don't support H.265 it's an amazing device and the best Android box on the market. And it beats the crap out of any Apple TV too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

unfortunately i live in western australia now, so my days of downloading terabytes of movies with reckless abandon on my 100Mbps FTTH in Ireland are long behind me and all I have is 5Mbps these days, so it will literally take a fraction of the time to re-encode than to re-download. :(

vibe666 wrote: »
    unfortunately i live in western australia now, so my days of downloading terabytes of movies with reckless abandon on my 100Mbps FTTH in Ireland are long behind me and all I have is 5Mbps these days, so it will literally take a fraction of the time to re-encode than to re-download. :(

If you have serious processing power then fair enough but if downloading H.265 movies at a decent 5Gb size then it won't take that long on a 5 Mbs connection.

I survived for years with just 6 Mbs. Downloading 8-12 Gb over night.

H.265 needs 10 times the CPU power to encode at the same speed as H.264 !

I have a feeling you'd be quicker downloading on 5 Mbs . 5Gb gives excellent quality with H.265 on a 40" screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm going to transcoding too soon, but with 32 threads of pure grunt it shouldnt take me too long.

You're not going to be recoding from H.264 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ED E wrote: »
    I'm going to transcoding too soon, but with 32 threads of pure grunt it shouldnt take me too long.

I just noticed I put 16GB of video, that should have read 16TB. :D

the biggest problem with my download speed isn't even the download speed it's my upload speed, so I never get anything like 5Mbps down, it's 1-3Mbps at best most of the time, but even if it was 5Mbps, it's (from my dodgy napkin maths) still going to take about a year and a half to download everything freshly in H.265, and not all of it is going to still be available online in H.265 (a good chunk of it is in DIVX and MPEG format, as well as some VCD's :D (yes I'm old and I've been at it a long time!) and that isn't taking account of exactly how long it would take to search for it all, even if it was all available.

on a side note, I just spoke to my ISP about getting faster broadband and apparently it'll be up to 3 years before ADSL2+ at 24Mbps even reaches my exchange (in a well populated Perth suburb!), ad my only option right now is EFM.

I love how he makes i sound like he's doing me a huge favour offering me 12Mbps for $299 a month (about 200 euro) on a 3 year contract and not charging me the $300 extra they normally charge to install it. :(
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]For your site and your needs, we could definitely look at an EFM Service. This is Ethernet First Mile and is a Symmetrical 20/20 Best Effort service. Best effort meaning you will have some transmission loss with your length of cable, similar to ADSL. My guestimates on this with 2.2km of cable would see you around 12MBPS symmetrical. [/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]The cost is $299 ex GST (aka VAT, altho it's 10% here) and installation would take up to 90 days. Contract is 36 months and Set up fees I could waive.[/font]

Advertisement