Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Navan traffic Management Plan

Options
  • 09-06-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Meath Chronicle has front page and two inside pages reporting on 4 year €12m planned traffic management and upgrade of streets incorporating new bus kiosk at a widened Kennedy Road, opposite entrance to shopping centre.

I have no link to the report, but the plan envisages the end of the bus travelling up Trimgate Street and the stops at Railway Street and Tommy Reillys shop will also go. Trimgate street will be "enhanced" with new paving, and Railway Street will be open to two-way traffic coming from Brews Hill. Dublin traffic will now travel UP Ludlow Street to the statue of the bull, with bus/taxi/bicycle traffic only allowed turn left at the bull across Trimgate Street and on to Kennedy Row. All other traffic will have to turn right at the bull. There are also plans for a bus terminus north of the town wit park and ride facilities.

The report also states that "real-time" traffic management will give right of way to buses travelling through Trimgate Street on to Kenned Row. BÉ are reported to be prepared to increase the local bus timetable, but there is no mention of further 109/109A services. There will be no right turn onto the Fairgreen from Circular Road, traffic will turn left opposite the Newgrange Hotel instead for access to parking at Fairgreen.

The impression I get is that buses will gain priority in the town, and they will not have to negotiate Railway Street/Trimgate Street/Canon Row. Plenty of detail and pictures of proposed changes in the report. This seems fairly comprehensive, the timescale for disruption is quite prolonged.

There are proposals also for enhanced cycle and pedestrian travel within the town, with Cornmarket being pedestrianised and the footpaths of the streets being widened. Kennedy Row will lose quite a number of parking spaces, taxis to move onto Paddy O'Brien Street. No mention of the LDR's (Local Distributor roads) that were in the county plan, there are a few of these on the county development plan, to link the Trim road with the Dublin Road and Limekiln, and the Rathaldron Road with the Dublin Road around Blackwater Park, and one from the Boyne Road AFAIK. No mention of pedestrian bridge proposal for Balmoral across to Blackwater park either....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

The town needs something drastic doing, for it's size it's a traffic disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Parking will be a disaster again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I am trying to picture this, but struggling to... Bridge st was made 1 way when traffic volume increased in the late 90s and they want to make it 2 way again? Let alone Ludlow st being made 2 way, I can see more injuries there on Friday and Saturday nights as a direct result. A widened Kennedy road is greatly needed, but where will pedestrians go after Supermacs to AIB? It's fairly busy any time I'm there, especially when there's a good film on in the cinema! For 2 way to work at its best on Railway st parking on street needs to go and the Fairgreen will become an even bigger bottleneck to get to at times

Or am I looking at it with tunnel vision...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Bridge st and ludlow st wont be two way the traffic will be going towards the square instead of away from it as far as i can make out.

Advertisement