Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitbit Charge HR

• 09-06-2016 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Hi all,

Ive been given a Charge HR as a gift and im already very impressed. I have read through a few old threads but nothing answers my queries so maybe someone can help.

Apart from height, weight and age is there anything else I need to change/enter? Ive entered in a weight goal but I don't like the food/calorie tracker compared to My fitness pal so im just gong to use the Fitbit to track calories burned.

Also has anyone worn one while playing contact sports? Is it recommended? Even if I wore it once during training/game it would give me an idea of the number of calories im burning.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Step counter works fine for sports. It'll give some heart rate data but it won't be hugely active while you're running around, but if you stop and hold it still for a second it'll get a reading.

The calorie burn count is largely voodoo in my opinion. It increases with activity but lord knows if it's accurate.

I think you can input your stride length too? I don't quite remember, I ditched mine a while back.

Yeah i put in long stride for mine
    I would imagine that just affects the distance covered calc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Did you know you can link your Fitbit account to your MFP account so you only need to track on MFP and it will automatically come up on your Fitbit dashboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Zillah wrote: »
    The calorie burn count is largely voodoo in my opinion. It increases with activity but lord knows if it's accurate.

Ok this might make sense because yesterday I apparently burned 4000 cals. I cant see how this is possible. I work an office job and only did a light training session in the evening.
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    Did you know you can link your Fitbit account to your MFP account so you only need to track on MFP and it will automatically come up on your Fitbit dashboard?

Ok this is great. How do I do this? I have had a look around the app but no luck.

Anyone know what an above average stride length would be?

Do it on the website on desktop. I think you go to the MFP website and go to the apps tab and download fitbit tracker and connect it from there. You won't see each meal on fitbit like you do on MFP but it will take the calories from MFP. You can go to the exercise on MFP and set up a negative adjustment so it includes calories burned from exercise in your calorie intake but I have that turned off coz I wouldn't be 100% sure about the accuracy and then I'll be overeating.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Do it on the website on desktop. I think you go to the MFP website and go to the apps tab and download fitbit tracker and connect it from there. You won't see each meal on fitbit like you do on MFP but it will take the calories from MFP. You can go to the exercise on MFP and set up a negative adjustment so it includes calories burned from exercise in your calorie intake but I have that turned off coz I wouldn't be 100% sure about the accuracy and then I'll be overeating.

That's great. Thanks. The calories burned counter was one of the main things that I need it for so if it was pretty inaccurate that would be disappointing. I never imagined burning 4000 calories a day but we will see how it tracks it over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Surprisingly I found the calorie burned counter not too far off. The only time I saw it go way off was if I done a lot of walking! I think it way over estimated there but in general it seems to be off by about 50-100 calories only.

I think the calories burned from exercise might be a bit generous but the calories burned on a rest day which would be close to my BMR is not too far off. I don't have my calories burned from exercise linked to MFP coz I'll just try and eat those back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

just bought a fitbit and in the first full day when i had it on at 10,000 fitbit steps, my iphone health monitor was only at 5,488? and i had the phone on me 95% of the time, standing most of the time too so not at a desk. any reason for the big difference?

also for the calories burned figure, does that include your maintenance calories?

timple23 wrote: »
    just bought a fitbit and in the first full day when i had it on at 10,000 fitbit steps, my iphone health monitor was only at 5,488? and i had the phone on me 95% of the time, standing most of the time too so not at a desk. any reason for the big difference?

also for the calories burned figure, does that include your maintenance calories?

Not sure why it would be so different. Did you try adjust the stride length to match on both?

Also the calories burned figure is the total calories burned so yes it includes your maintenance calories.

• Advertisement
Advertisement