Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Japanese LC

Options
  • 09-06-2016 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, I am Polish girl in Ireland and I was wondering if anyone here in Mayo did Japanese LC and could tell me how it is.
    I would realy like to do japanese becuase I enjoy culture, and especialy anime manga.
    I know slight basics like hello ect from anime ^^ but I want to a step futher and learn it fully. My school dosen't provide any japnese sadly. I dunno maybe if I find diffuclty self study I'd like a teacher though I'm sure it's going to be expenisve.
    I'm alredy stitting my JC exame.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

http://www.languagesinitiative.ie/japanese might be of some help.

I don't know if there are any Japanese classes in Mayo. There are probably Japanese people living in Mayo who could help you.

Will you be also sitting Polish in the Leaving? So many languages!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 monchurun

Thankyou verymuch ;_;
    Hmm that be though to find somebody though.
    For my Polish I wont be, since its very bad. My english is beter then my Polish

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

monchurun wrote: »
    Thankyou verymuch ;_;
    Hmm that be though to find somebody though.
    For my Polish I wont be, since its very bad. My english is beter then my Polish

It would be easier to pick up Polish than Japanese since you more than likely still have basic Polish knowledge.

You also said you are only doing the JC, imagine how easily you could relearn Polish in the time from now until the LC.

My friend did LC Polish and said that with any effort you will probably get at least a B2. However her Polish was always very strong and spoke it almost daily at home, so...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You need pretty good formal written Polish to do well in the Leaving. It may be easier find a Polish teacher than a Japanese one. Put an ad in your local supermarket and see is there anyone out there doing Japanese.

For yourself, though, regardless of the exams, you should maybe improve your Polish. Such a great heritage and culture you will miss out on without the language. Plus you get to use the great saying "Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Obviously, best case scenario is to have a teacher of Japanese who is familiar with the syllabus. Contact the website spurious linked to above. If they know of any Mayo teachers they will be the people to tell you. How far are you from Sligo town? I'm almost certain there's an active teacher there.

Anyway, if that doesn't work out, your next best bet is to find a Japanese person or Japanese speaker who might be willing to meet with you once a week or once a fortnight or something to correct your work and to practice speaking with. There are various groups on Facebook related to Japan and Japanese culture in Ireland - you could try posting in those to reach out and see if there are any Japanese speakers living nearby who might be willing to help out.

You can self-learn the course but I would not recommend doing it solely on your own, especially as there is an oral exam. You really do need to practice speaking with someone who can speak Japanese to be able to get through that bit. If you're going to do this partially on your own, you'll need to be very self-disciplined and spend time researching the syllabus yourself so as to know exactly what is required of you. It's not impossible by any stretch but if you can't get a teacher then I think a combination of regular meet ups with a Japanese person/speaker plus dedicated self-study would work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement